Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:46 am

Mustafaster wrote:
SimonB wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Cheers Simon, this was what I opted for. Rather nice for a warm evening, still on the edge of too much hops for me though.

The more hops the better for me. Oakham brew some excellent hoppy ales, Green Devil IPA is another favourite of mine. Although at 6% its probably not a session ale. Well except for BeerPig obvs.

Aye, the more hop the better as a rule.
Depends on the variety. Got a hop in the garden, smells amazing in September.
Draw the line at the ridiculously citrus hops though.
Had a Czech beer last year that was like drinking grapefruit juice.
That Sierra Nevada Torpedo is right on the limit.

Mostly on board with this. My local sesh pint, Harvey's Sussex Best, is what them experts describe as a 'hop forward' bitter; very hoppy but not remotely citrussy and it's bang on for me. That said, if I had to drink only one beer forever it would be Landlord, and that's not hoppy at all.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:50 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Mostly on board with this. My local sesh pint, Harvey's Sussex Best, is what them experts describe as a 'hop forward' bitter; very hoppy but not remotely citrussy and it's bang on for me. That said, if I had to drink only one beer forever it would be Landlord, and that's not hoppy at all.

I find Harveys a bit bland, I prefer Landlord of the two. My tastes have changed with the explosion of micro breweries offering such a range of craft ales on keg. Having said that I still prefer cask generally but I find some bitters a little bit meh these days
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:58 am

Landlord is one of the world's great beers.
Never forget my first pint down The Eagle on North Street.
A whole world opening up.
Before that I'd been a Tetley's man supping in The Highland off Burley Road.
Great pint, but that first pint of Landlord...
Been my ruin.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:10 am

I spose the thing with Harvey’s is that it’s about the most volatile bitter I’ve ever come across: has to be very well kept and once you crack the cask it’s only spot on for about 48 hours. So you should really only drink it where there’s guaranteed high turnover: the preferred pint and not too many other options. Goes a bit dead after that.

Charlie Don't Surf

Postby Charlie Don't Surf » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:25 am

Landlord is the only beer to drink if Old Peculiar isn't available.
BREAK HIS LEGS!!

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:40 am

eric olthwaite wrote:I spose the thing with Harvey’s is that it’s about the most volatile bitter I’ve ever come across: has to be very well kept and once you crack the cask it’s only spot on for about 48 hours. So you should really only drink it where there’s guaranteed high turnover: the preferred pint and not too many other options. Goes a bit dead after that.

That's a good point. Its often hard to tell whether you just don't like a beer or whether its not been kept at its optimum.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:47 am

SimonB wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:I spose the thing with Harvey’s is that it’s about the most volatile bitter I’ve ever come across: has to be very well kept and once you crack the cask it’s only spot on for about 48 hours. So you should really only drink it where there’s guaranteed high turnover: the preferred pint and not too many other options. Goes a bit dead after that.

That's a good point. Its often hard to tell whether you just don't like a beer or whether its not been kept at its optimum.

Or if it travels.
On the heyday of Tetley's it was superb in a Two mile radius of Leeds Bridge, as you got beyond that it began to suffer.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:28 pm

SimonB wrote:My tastes have changed with the explosion of micro breweries offering such a range of craft ales on keg. Having said that I still prefer cask generally but I find some bitters a little bit meh these days

Yep, me too to both bits of this.

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:08 pm

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:
SimonB wrote:My tastes have changed with the explosion of micro breweries offering such a range of craft ales on keg. Having said that I still prefer cask generally but I find some bitters a little bit meh these days

Agreed.

Untappd has changed the way I drink as well, looking for something different instead of just drinking a gutfull of a beer that's been the same for a hundred and fifty years.

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:09 pm

My grandad was from Leeds wrote:

Agreed.

Untappd has changed the way I drink as well, looking for something different instead of just drinking a gutfull of a beer that's been the same for a hundred and fifty years.

I’m not on Untappd but I have a pretty good recollection as to whether I’ve had a beer before. The problem I find is that in my endless quest to always try something new every single time, I probably dismiss really good beers along the way simply for the crime of having drunk them once before. I’m not sure I like that side of me/it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 pm

My grandad was from Leeds wrote:

Agreed.

Depends on the mood really. Sometimes a beer which has tasted the same for 150 years is exactly what I want.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:45 am

Untapped has definitely changed my drinking habits as I too aim for different beers. Unlike SHGW I don't have such a great recollection of which beers I have had before, wonder why that is?

But there are times when I go to one of the Oakham pubs in Peterborough and try all of the guests and finish with a pint of citra that I do wonder why the fuck I just didn't have five pints of Citra

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:53 am

SimonB wrote:Untapped has definitely changed my drinking habits as I too aim for different beers. Unlike SHGW I don't have such a great recollection of which beers I have had before, wonder why that is?

But there are times when I go to one of the Oakham pubs in Peterborough and try all of the guests and finish with a pint of citra that I do wonder why the fuck I just didn't have five pints of Citra

there was some gameshow in the 90's where everyday people attempted extraordinary challenges with gordon burns iirc, and the contestants won by gambling whether the everyday folk succeeded or not. do you think you'd have half a chance of recognising any 6 of those beers from the others even if you were allowed to choose the 20 beers from which they could select from?

basically, i'm a lower league beer drinker and i know i'd have no chance, so i've stopped sampling beers when i get to the bar and choose the old favourites; leeds pale, landlord etc because I'm sick of drinking wacky beers that don't hit the spot.

(wine and whisky on the other hand, love to try something new, as i've not yet reached that point of curiosity satiation)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:54 am

SimonB wrote:Untapped has definitely changed my drinking habits as I too aim for different beers. Unlike SHGW I don't have such a great recollection of which beers I have had before, wonder why that is?

Yeah, similarly if I’m faced with four or five new beers and the first one is stunning, I still have to try all the others before I go back to it usually. Bit daft really.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 am

Quiffy wrote:there was some gameshow in the 90's where everyday people attempted extraordinary challenges with gordon burns iirc, and the contestants won by gambling whether they'd succeed or not. do you think you'd have half a chance of recognising any 6 of those beers from the others even if you were allowed to choose the 20 beers from which they could select from?

I don't remember that one, I could probably tell what type of beer it was but specific names would be trickier.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:57 am

Yeah, similarly if I’m faced with four or five new beers and the first one is stunning, I still have to try all the others before I go back to it usually. Bit daft really.

It certainly is :mrgreen: but you just don't know if you stick with the first one you might miss out on the beer of your life.

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 am

Quiffy wrote:there was some gameshow in the 90's where everyday people attempted extraordinary challenges with gordon burns iirc, and the contestants won by gambling whether the everyday folk succeeded or not. do you think you'd have half a chance of recognising any 6 of those beers from the others even if you were allowed to choose the 20 beers from which they could select from?)

Are you thinking of You Bet, with Matthew Kelly?!

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:06 am

Quiffy wrote:there was some gameshow in the 90's where everyday people attempted extraordinary challenges with gordon burns iirc, and the contestants won by gambling whether the everyday folk succeeded or not. do you think you'd have half a chance of recognising any 6 of those beers from the others even if you were allowed to choose the 20 beers from which they could select from?)

Are you thinking of You Bet, with Matthew Kelly?!

maybe. obviously you've not drunk enough to be able to recall that. :mrgreen:

my memory is well and truly broken.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:12 pm

Ta B :thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Return to “The Square Ball”