Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:46 am

SimonB wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:On any other forum you’d read Si’s drinking posts and go ‘I smell bullshit’.

But I’ve seen him drinking, seen the size of him and I’m horribly afraid he’s completely legit.

:mrgreen: And bear in mind I drink a fraction of what Beerpig can manage, that man can drink his beer.

Starting to feel I ought to meet this chap, especially since metalsmurf apparently struggles to tell us apart. Though, I won't lie, my own drinking prowess is entirely ordinary.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:08 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Starting to feel I ought to meet this chap, especially since metalsmurf apparently struggles to tell us apart. Though, I won't lie, my own drinking prowess is entirely ordinary.

I think Metalsmurf got taken in more by posting name rather than appearance :mrgreen: but yes you should he is great company
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Combining Simon’s love of Oakham Citra and the recommendation for Guinness’ lager, Guinness’s Open Gate off-shoot have recently launched a 5% Citra IPA. Saw it in Morrisons’ current two four-packs for £10 offer and picked one up (along with a pack of Eternal by Leeds’s own Northern Monk).

Got three cans keeping cool at work today as meeting a friend for some al fresco drinking later so will report back.

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Oh yeah, meant to add that Oakham also make a variation of their Citra IPA for M&S which comes out at 4.9% which is pretty good too.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:10 pm

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Oh yeah, meant to add that Oakham also make a variation of their Citra IPA for M&S which comes out at 4.9% which is pretty good too.

It is good but a clear pint of cask oakham citra is just wonderful
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:36 pm

SimonB wrote:
Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Oh yeah, meant to add that Oakham also make a variation of their Citra IPA for M&S which comes out at 4.9% which is pretty good too.

It is good but a clear pint of cask oakham citra is just wonderful

Yep, agreed.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:40 pm

Have just bought some of this shite to give it another chance on youse cunts recommendation.

If my gums flay off again I'm sending the bill to Simon.

Edit: light chill or no, beermonkeys?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:42 pm

Mustafaster wrote:On the off chance that you ever see San Miguel Manila, grab it.

Waitrose are currently doing San Miguel Selecta (6.7%) which is quite alright. There's an alternative San Miguel brewery in the Philippines - wonder if yours is from there?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:58 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:On the off chance that you ever see San Miguel Manila, grab it.

Waitrose are currently doing San Miguel Selecta (6.7%) which is quite alright. There's an alternative San Miguel brewery in the Philippines - wonder if yours is from there?

San Miguel was originally a Filipino company.
Think it's all brewed here now, but could be wrong of course.
They also do a brew called 1516, not quite as strong as the Selecta, it's OK but nowt special.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:59 pm

the i.p.a thing is all over the beer selections in the states as well, i'm not a fan, so it was annoying how limited the rest of the selections were. i ended up buying a nitrogen infused beer instead, presuming it was just a gimmick, as i seem to remember seeing them in our supermarkets a few years ago. it was a nitrogen infused stout and very impressive it was too, about the nearest thing i've tasted to a hand pulled pint in a can.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:05 pm

Some really good porters in the states. Even had a really rich milk stout after dinner on the last visit, least discomfited I felt in the whole trip.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Quiffy wrote:the i.p.a thing is all over the beer selections in the states as well, i'm not a fan, so it was annoying how limited the rest of the selections were. i ended up buying a nitrogen infused beer instead, presuming it was just a gimmick, as i seem to remember seeing them in our supermarkets a few years ago. it was a nitrogen infused stout and very impressive it was too, about the nearest thing i've tasted to a hand pulled pint in a can.

Ah, ‘nitro stouts’ are becoming increasingly common here in the UK and I confess that I had no idea what the ‘nitro’ bit was about. What does nitrogen bring to the party then?

I’m sad to say that the Guinness Citra IPA is as bland a 5% beer as I’ve had in a long time :(

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:25 pm

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Ah, ‘nitro stouts’ are becoming increasingly common here in the UK and I confess that I had no idea what the ‘nitro’ bit was about. What does nitrogen bring to the party then?

it's instead of carbon dioxide. (but apparently affects the flavour a bit too). it did give a lovely creamy texture, for a can, better than the boddington/guiness widget at reproducing the feel of a hand pulled beer.

If they're doing some here i'll have to look out for them.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:36 pm

Helpful.

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:56 am

Quiffy wrote:
Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:Ah, ‘nitro stouts’ are becoming increasingly common here in the UK and I confess that I had no idea what the ‘nitro’ bit was about. What does nitrogen bring to the party then?

it's instead of carbon dioxide. (but apparently affects the flavour a bit too). it did give a lovely creamy texture, for a can, better than the boddington/guiness widget at reproducing the feel of a hand pulled beer.

If they're doing some here i'll have to look out for them.

Cheers Quiffy. I’ve definitely seen a few on keg recently and saw a canned one in a supermarket the other week.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:47 am

Blackwhite wrote:Have just bought some of this shite to give it another chance on youse cunts recommendation.

If my gums flay off again I'm sending the bill to Simon.

Edit: light chill or no, beermonkeys?

For bottles at home? Slightly chilled for me

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:05 am

Cheers Simon, this was what I opted for. Rather nice for a warm evening, still on the edge of too much hops for me though.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 am

Blackwhite wrote:Cheers Simon, this was what I opted for. Rather nice for a warm evening, still on the edge of too much hops for me though.

The more hops the better for me. Oakham brew some excellent hoppy ales, Green Devil IPA is another favourite of mine. Although at 6% its probably not a session ale. Well except for BeerPig obvs.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:19 am

SimonB wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Cheers Simon, this was what I opted for. Rather nice for a warm evening, still on the edge of too much hops for me though.

The more hops the better for me. Oakham brew some excellent hoppy ales, Green Devil IPA is another favourite of mine. Although at 6% its probably not a session ale. Well except for BeerPig obvs.

Aye, the more hop the better as a rule.
Depends on the variety. Got a hop in the garden, smells amazing in September.
Draw the line at the ridiculously citrus hops though.
Had a Czech beer last year that was like drinking grapefruit juice.
That Sierra Nevada Torpedo is right on the limit.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:28 am

I have had the Torpedo Extra IPA in Tapped in Leeds, I liked it apparently. Cant say I remember it being honest

Return to “The Square Ball”