Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am

Two idle observations on Jamie’s:

- Most towns seem to have authentic family owned Italians. There’s a couple of belters in Brighton: genuine people, great food, good value etc. Why you’d go to some chain place instead is beyond me.

- For all his lovely Jools and his dozens of amazing kids bullshit, one of my girls knows s twenty year old he fucked. He does a lot of that. Allegedly.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:05 am

Still, you'd have to expect the cunnilingus must be amazing, like having a mattress dragged over your poon. The chubba-tongued mockney cunt.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:54 am

I've been once as the missus got some vouchers from work. It was ok, much better than Bella etc, probably wouldn't go again if it costs me owt as there are better options, as Eric said.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am

Mrs LSD worked for him for 5 years. Sure he's had his head turned and takes advantage of the attention sometimes - rude not to really, but what I do know is the bloke has worked his bollocks off for the last 20 odd years and has changed the lives of a significant number of young disadvantaged and troubled kids along the way. Can't knock that (even if I do find him irritating).

Most restaurants fail eventually as the competition find it easy to replicate and improve on. He's had a pretty decent run.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

we went a couple of times when there were offers on and quite liked the unusual dishes you got there that i haven't seen in other italians. i'm with LSD, used to find him annoying, but having used his christmas dinner dvd to prepare a quality feast and seen his attempts to improve kids dinners and battle poor diets he's got my respect. he's no james martin though.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:23 am

Mrs D's article on going vegan for three months finally came out [print and online], and she rattled up about 1500 comments inside 24 hours. There were a few vegan loons, of course. Amusingly, one such insisted that the brief description of a pub Sunday lunch we had in St. Albans [with friends who live there], didn't happen as described because there would definitely have been a vegan option, so Mrs DL must have made it up. I was there: it happened exactly as she wrote. Another suggested she had been paid off by the meat and dairy industry - somehow failing to read the bit where Mrs DL says she's finding it hard to eat meat at all these days.
The truth of the matter is Mrs DL had no strong opinions either way before she started, then she did the trial and was measured up by doctors before and after, lost a bit of weight but otherwise felt not much different, and is still neither pro- nor anti- now. Pretty much what the article says - along with a load of gathered-in expert input. The paper didn't ask her to take an angle and just printed what she came up with. No agenda from anyone involved. But you try and explain that to a vegan loon. [I'm left thinking, 'If only we had been paid off by Big Beef, we'd be loaded now'. But we weren't and we're not.]

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am

The vegan loon was just having a beef!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Did she wash the money after she got paid? Probably a good idea, given the dirty nazi bastards...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 pm

Any chance of linking up the article then DL? I quite fancy a read.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:24 pm

Proud to be Leeds wrote:Any chance of linking up the article then DL? I quite fancy a read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... vegan.html

Yes, I know, it's The Mail. She basically writes only in the Femail section. At least they pay and they don't ever bother her with political angles [which is handy as she doesn't share them].

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:13 am

A good read DL. I particularly enjoyed this bit:

Chris, my husband, would happily eat meat at every meal and is a keen cook, turning out a constant supply of stews, casseroles, roasts and various animals in sauce.

More seriously, I found it a well written, engaging, and very informative piece.

It was particularly thought provoking for someone like myself whose conscience has wrestled with the issue of animal welfare over the years and at various times, particularly during the Australian live exports to Indonesia scandal, seriously pondered the alternatives. So, I was pleased to see that, along with health, animal welfare was also a driver for Mrs DL on her journey:

I also felt increasingly guilty about the welfare of farmed animals.

It was also interesting to note that at the end of that journey - including the practical difficulties with modern lifestyles including kids, and indeed health limitations unless you monitor your intake of so many different types of nutrients very carefully, she concluded she no longer had any desire for meat but had no qualms adding cheese and organic fish to her diet. That seems to me a not unreasonable outcome though obviously different folks will reach different conclusions based on what they want to do, what they practically can do, and what they feel they need to do.

Some on both sides of the animal welfare debate (including one particular idiot on here) have tried to call out such positions as “hypocrisy.” I think, however, it was Oafwaite who hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread when he remarked that animal suffering is reduced if everyone does something even if it may not be practical or indeed healthy for everyone to go the whole way. In that sense even Andrew Murray’s declaration that he will go vegan after retiring from tennis, whilst easy to mock, does demonstrate an awareness of the issue and a desire to do the right thing when his practical circumstances allow.

In my case, I also still eat meat. I try to reduce consumption and I always check carefully the sources and as a minimum the labelling, eg RSPCA approved, free range, etc. I lobby in favour of more humane treatment and against abuse. I am a generous donor to animal charities, eg those campaigning agains vivisection which I find a morally abhorrent practice that future generations may one day judge similarly to the way we judge slavery by previous generations.

Every individual will of course be different on this journey - but I think Mrs DL should be commended for such an informative and engaging account of her journey. BTW - she's also in pretty good nick for a 54 year old! :mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah, it's a tough one.

The environmental cost of getting vegan food on the table is often drastically understated by focusing on cost per gram rather than cost per calorie (which, per gram, vegan food is much lower in), though of course many humans would benefit from taking on fewer calories.

The 'ethical' case for dairy, in terms of animal suffering, is probably worse than for many types of meat and fish.

In the developed world at least we at a minimum need to eat little less, waste/throw away a lot less, and think more carefully about the stuff we do consume.

Ps agree that Mrs DL is a honey, up for an exchange anytime.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Ps agree that Mrs DL is a honey, up for an exchange anytime.

You might want to make a pitch for that around the next time DL posts in Because Wives.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm

the flying pig wrote:In the developed world at least we at a minimum need to eat little less, waste/throw away a lot less, and think more carefully about the stuff we do consume.

I was thinking about this a while ago. I’m appalled by the quantity of food we throw out. There are a few obvious reasons for this:

- The fact we both work pretty much full time and don’t plan meals in advance. Depends whether either of us is late, whether we can be bothered to cook etc.
- Not knowing whether kids are in to eat, in advance.
- Pre-packing of vegetables: loads of stuff which isn’t sold loose - at least not in supermarkets open late.

I was also thinking about my mum, who never seemed to throw anything out. But then the only vegetables in the house when I was a kid were potatoes, onions and carrots; that was it. At the same time, I was chucking out the dregs of two types of shallots which had gone off. Can’t help thinking that the vast range of culinary choice we’re now used to is a contributor to waste.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:27 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:In the developed world at least we at a minimum need to eat little less, waste/throw away a lot less, and think more carefully about the stuff we do consume.

I was thinking about this a while ago. I’m appalled by the quantity of food we throw out. There are a few obvious reasons for this:

- The fact we both work pretty much full time and don’t plan meals in advance. Depends whether either of us is late, whether we can be bothered to cook etc.
- Not knowing whether kids are in to eat, in advance.
- Pre-packing of vegetables: loads of stuff which isn’t sold loose - at least not in supermarkets open late.

I was also thinking about my mum, who never seemed to throw anything out. But then the only vegetables in the house when I was a kid were potatoes, onions and carrots; that was it. At the same time, I was chucking out the dregs of two types of shallots which had gone off. Can’t help thinking that the vast range of culinary choice we’re now used to is a contributor to waste.

First world problems, eh?
What to eat and what to throw out.... decisions, decisions.

Almost nothing gets thrown out in Casa Musta ( I would say nothing, but I can't absolutely guarantee that, sometimes you buy 'taters and one turns out to be mostly rotten sort of thing).

Chucking food away is bordering on the criminal imo.
No excuse. :thumbd:
As me owd gran useter say: Yer eyes are bigger than yer belly, lad.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:58 pm

Spend on food as a proportion of wage has gone down, so it's not so significant, so we don't give a shit, so we chuck it away.
But... we chuck it away, we destroy the planet so we have to re-learn or we'll all die...

So, do I eat this week old toffee yoghurt the kids forgot?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:23 pm

Mustafaster wrote:First world problems, eh?

Almost nothing gets thrown out in Casa Musta ( I would say nothing, but I can't absolutely guarantee that, sometimes you buy 'taters and one turns out to be mostly rotten sort of thing).

Of course it’s a first world problem ya thick fuck - that was what I was saying. Point is, you get used to loads more variety than you ever used to have: buying plantain when you’re doing jerk chicken, lemongrass for Thai or whatever. Question becomes whether we should restrict our variety so as to minimise the possibility of waste.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Over Christmas I stayed with my fairly newly retired mother & father in law. They're better off than most couples their age though not rich (he was a very long serving police constable, never promoted but will have a pension of at least half his final salary).

They're not gourmand types. Daily Mail readers, or were until the MoS came out as pro remain, which angered my MiL so much that she switched to the Telegraph, Monday through Sunday. Cunts, I suppose you might say, but very 'normal'.

Anyway, the thing that really struck me was that my mother opened up, for say six of us over c 48 hrs, nine (I counted) different pre-bought refrigerated desserts, y'know, like cheesecakes & whatnot, each one the size of a medium sized plate. The idea was to offer loads of choice, I suppose, with, barring outstanding feats of gluttony, most to be ultimately thrown away. I just found this unfathomable. My wife was brought up by these people so does share a fair few of their values. Has a strong compulsion to buy stuff, not just food e.g. Very strongly prefers bookshops over libraries, even for very speculative reads that may not ever be started, never mind finished, is really obsessed with stockpiling more brand new toys and games than the kids could ever hope to play with, etc.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:58 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:First world problems, eh?

Of course it’s a first world problem ya thick fuck - that was what I was saying. Point is, you get used to loads more variety than you ever used to have: buying plantain when you’re doing jerk chicken, lemongrass for Thai or whatever. Question becomes whether we should restrict our variety so as to minimise the possibility of waste.

Question is, Why are you buying plantain and lemongrass if you're only going to throw it out?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:25 am

Cos I like food and because, as I said above, supermarket packaging doesn’t reflect the quantity I might need.

Return to “The Square Ball”