Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Quiffy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:53 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:non alcoholic gin - the wife's on a diet and has spent quite a few quid on this and it's no better than some odd watery mouthwash. absolute genius marketing.

Oh, for fuck sake. There's only about 100 calories in a full fat G&T. Have you told her it's that food thing she wants to focus on?

arguing with the wife over this sort of thing is pretty pointless as i thought you may know.

anyway if she stays sober she drives :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Rambo the randy pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Anyway, we've accidentally almost gone veggie round my gaff.

Mrs DL went temporarily vegan back in October for a feature she's writing for one of the nationals* - going vegan is very 'on trend', I have since learned - so between then and Christmas I'd been cooking just for the kids and myself. After I turned 60 in Sept and discovered at the medical MOT my cholesterol was a bit high, I cut down on the booze for three months to Christmas and, since New year, have decided to reduce the meat intake too, as a kind of additional experiment.
Haven't gone full-on vegan as I can't be arsed to be so picky about not using [say] Worcester sauce because it has anchovy paste in it etc, but have been trying out a few interesting veggie recipes and have eaten fish only once since Jan 1. Cut out cheese, too [which I really like].
Have to say, it's been no effort whatsoever and also quite enjoyable adding some new recipes to the usual turnaround of dishes we used to eat.
For example, this was v nice: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/veg ... ney-beans/
And the Sainsbury's meat-free mince [soya] is a convincingly meaty-tasting thing to make chilli, lasagne etc with. [The kids didn't even notice.] Cheap too.
Oh, and, of course, a lot of Indian food is great without any meat involved.

Yeah, so it's been a piece of piss, so far. I'd recommend it if you like cooking and might be interested in broadening your usual recipe line-up.

Oddly, haven't missed the drink much, either. A couple of pangs for a glass of red with my lasagne the other night and a Friday evening beer would be nice... but, all in all, that's been a breeze too.

*She's stayed on the vegan diet since: although she hasn't noticed any particular health benefits and whatnot, she has lost a fair bit of weight. That aspect pleases her enough to carry on for a bit longer.

I read an article recently about someone trying veganism but her husband inadvertently made her cheat by putting stuff she wasn't supposed to have in her food. Bet that was you :pig:

Can't be: she hasn't finished writing it yet.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:06 pm

dirty leeds wrote:That non-alcoholic shite is very expensive too, as I recall from the window of the local Oddbins. Kept me away from it right off.

Sure. Like that was your reason.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:That non-alcoholic shite is very expensive too, as I recall from the window of the local Oddbins. Kept me away from it right off.

Sure. Like that was your reason.

Seriously, it was - in Dry January. I might have tried it then, if much cheaper. Decided to stick with my elderflower tonic.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:11 pm

Dry January - pah. Quitter. Dilettante. Collaborationist.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Ontolly

Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Ontolly » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Dry January - pah. Quitter. Dilettante. Collaborationist.

I like the Ken Bruce febrewery approach.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Dry January - pah. Quitter. Dilettante. Collaborationist.

Well, yes, that's all true. But I did use the money I saved to buy a rather nice bottle of red on Saturday. Now I'm not drinking during the week [unless Exceptional Circumstances]. So merely a lightweight now.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm

i've been taking it, by my standards, super-easy with the food [esp sugars/other carbs] over the past say 6-9 months or so, but today found myself having a pub lunch, meeting a former colleague, could't get out of it. ate pie & chips [with a soft drink]. i'm now struggling very badly to stay awake, could very easily fall asleep here at my dezzzzz....

why does a big feed do this to us?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:25 pm

the flying pig wrote:

Blood sugar rises then falls, and then the sleepiness. Standard. Did you have a beer too? Edit: just read it properly.

Next time, have a beer :drunk:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm

the flying pig wrote:i've been taking it, by my standards, super-easy with the food [esp sugars/other carbs] over the past say 6-9 months or so, but today found myself having a pub lunch, meeting a former colleague, could't get out of it. ate pie & chips [with a soft drink]. i'm now struggling very badly to stay awake, could very easily fall asleep here at my dezzzzz....

Less simplistically than a sugar spike followed by a low you could Look up Orexin(aka hypocretin) it's a peptide that has a regulatory effect on wakefulness. Glucose interferes with it

Either that or you have diabetes! :cheers:

Edit:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Hypocretin? You mean Vampers?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:36 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Hypocretin? You mean Vampers?

:salute:

Yes hypocretin, is that why my level of arousal falls when he posts!!

Actually I've always wondered how vampire became Vamps or Vampers in this case. Is it an affectionate contraction of his name, (as you might do with a favourite pet)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:38 pm

It was just to persuade me not to call him a cunt all the time.

I gave up, but it stuck.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Hypocretin? You mean Vampers?

Oheddieeddie wrote:Actually I've always wondered how vampire became Vamps or Vampers

Blackwhite wrote:It was just to persuade me not to call him a cunt all the time.

You really know how to “ignore” somebody.
:lol:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 am

Jamie's Italian, eh?

Always a shame to see jobs go down the pan but i can't say i'm too sad to see an end to that place specifically.

On the couple of times I went there I didn't find the [fair to middling] food quality to be nearly good enough to justify the [upper midmarket] price tags.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 pm

the flying pig wrote:Jamie's Italian, eh?

Always a shame to see jobs go down the pan but i can't say i'm too sad to see an end to that place specifically.

On the couple of times I went there I didn't find the [fair to middling] food quality to be nearly good enough to justify the [upper midmarket] price tags.

I found the same thing, you could get food just as good (and more of it) in cheaper restaurants.
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Yep, never been a fan.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Quiffy wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:non alcoholic gin - the wife's on a diet and has spent quite a few quid on this and it's no better than some odd watery mouthwash. absolute genius marketing.

Oh, for fuck sake. There's only about 100 calories in a full fat G&T. Have you told her it's that food thing she wants to focus on?

arguing with the wife over this sort of thing is pretty pointless as i thought you may know.

anyway if she stays sober she drives :thumbl:

Take a look at minus 33 gin (technically not a gin but as close as you can get and low cal). Distilled at Silent Pool. https://minus33.co.uk

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:Take a look at minus 33 gin (technically not a gin but as close as you can get and low cal). Distilled at Silent Pool. https://minus33.co.uk

definite interest from the chair to the left of me. thanks. :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:09 pm

the flying pig wrote:Jamie's Italian, eh?

Went once, cost a bomb, crappy portion sizes and left the restaurant hungry. Never went back.

Return to “The Square Ball”