Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Man Called Sun

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Man Called Sun » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:13 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:The in-laws live near the border. I could have said ‘the general South Yorkshire / North Nottinghamshire area’ but a bit long winded y’know.

Yes...but correct.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:35 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:17 pm

Was gifted one of these over the break, new to me... have taken the time to order a box in and spread the joy... A really fruity strong beer, excellent post food.

I bet Simon's tried it.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Was gifted one of these over the break, new to me... have taken the time to order a box in and spread the joy... A really fruity strong beer, excellent post food.

I bet Simon's tried it.

Remember coming across that on draft when I lived up there, from time to time. Few Robinson’s houses in the Colne Valley as I recall. You don’t want to be drinking too many pints of that.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:27 pm

Whilst talking beer, have any of you encountered Cloudwater yet? Generally bloody expensive, but they don’t half know how to make interesting beers.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am

Anyway, we've accidentally almost gone veggie round my gaff.

Mrs DL went temporarily vegan back in October for a feature she's writing for one of the nationals* - going vegan is very 'on trend', I have since learned - so between then and Christmas I'd been cooking just for the kids and myself. After I turned 60 in Sept and discovered at the medical MOT my cholesterol was a bit high, I cut down on the booze for three months to Christmas and, since New year, have decided to reduce the meat intake too, as a kind of additional experiment.
Haven't gone full-on vegan as I can't be arsed to be so picky about not using [say] Worcester sauce because it has anchovy paste in it etc, but have been trying out a few interesting veggie recipes and have eaten fish only once since Jan 1. Cut out cheese, too [which I really like].
Have to say, it's been no effort whatsoever and also quite enjoyable adding some new recipes to the usual turnaround of dishes we used to eat.
For example, this was v nice: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/veg ... ney-beans/
And the Sainsbury's meat-free mince [soya] is a convincingly meaty-tasting thing to make chilli, lasagne etc with. [The kids didn't even notice.] Cheap too.
Oh, and, of course, a lot of Indian food is great without any meat involved.

Yeah, so it's been a piece of piss, so far. I'd recommend it if you like cooking and might be interested in broadening your usual recipe line-up.

Oddly, haven't missed the drink much, either. A couple of pangs for a glass of red with my lasagne the other night and a Friday evening beer would be nice... but, all in all, that's been a breeze too.

*She's stayed on the vegan diet since: although she hasn't noticed any particular health benefits and whatnot, she has lost a fair bit of weight. That aspect pleases her enough to carry on for a bit longer.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:14 pm

I think that the way veganism is 'sold' to Joe Public is very wrong. There are clearly serious benefits in terms of health and global sustainability but there's this whole culture around it that unless you do it 100% you're a 'hypocrite'. That's just daft, really. In terms of the benefits to animals and the environment it would be far better, say, for 90% of the population to be vegan three days a week than for 3% of the population to be absolutely vegan all the time.

With this in mind, me & Mrs O are actively aiming to take about 50% of the meat we eat out of our diet, either my having more veggie / vegan meals or by reducing the quantity of meat in particular recipes. In other words, 'Yay for vegan food but I'll stick with that occasional bacon sarnie when I'm in the mood, ta'.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:23 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I think that the way veganism is 'sold' to Joe Public is very wrong. There are clearly serious benefits in terms of health and global sustainability but there's this whole culture around it that unless you do it 100% you're a 'hypocrite'. That's just daft, really. In terms of the benefits to animals and the environment it would be far better, say, for 90% of the population to be vegan three days a week than for 3% of the population to be absolutely vegan all the time.

With this in mind, me & Mrs O are actively aiming to take about 50% of the meat we eat out of our diet, either my having more veggie / vegan meals or by reducing the quantity of meat in particular recipes. In other words, 'Yay for vegan food but I'll stick with that occasional bacon sarnie when I'm in the mood, ta'.

Exactly my feelings on the subject.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Veganism/ vegetarianism us fine.
Only eat meat or fish once a week normally.
The problem is the fuckin self-righteous vegans.
Nephew married a hippy vegan. She's a twat of the first water and has turned a decent young bloke into a pain in the arse.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:06 pm

How to tell if someone is a vegan: wait five seconds and they'll fucking tell you.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:24 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Veganism/ vegetarianism us fine.
Only eat meat or fish once a week normally.
The problem is the fuckin self-righteous vegans.
Nephew married a hippy vegan. She's a twat of the first water and has turned a decent young bloke into a pain in the arse.

A twat of the first water....now there’s a thing :mrgreen:

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I think that the way veganism is 'sold' to Joe Public is very wrong. There are clearly serious benefits in terms of health and global sustainability but there's this whole culture around it that unless you do it 100% you're a 'hypocrite'. That's just daft, really. In terms of the benefits to animals and the environment it would be far better, say, for 90% of the population to be vegan three days a week than for 3% of the population to be absolutely vegan all the time.

I've watched and read a few things about the impact on the planet etc. and for people like me this is by far the most convincing argument for reducing meat consumption. I'm a long way from vegetarian, but I've probably cut my meat consumption in half in the past 6 months. A lot of veggie alternatives are actually fairly decent if they're in a flavoursome sauce - mince for bolognese, chicken alternative for fajitas etc.

Will probably never go full veggie/vegan because, as much as anything, I can't be arsed causing bother for my mum, gran etc. when I go for tea. Also, because bacon and chorizo.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:28 pm

Non/Low-alcoholic beer during Dry January.
Always thought such stuff is/was the devil's work. Today, whilst in the local Oddbins picking up some fancy tonic water, we are accosted by the young fellah behind the counter who spotted Mrs DL waving a low alcohol beer at me. In response to my disapproving look, he suggested something called Mikkeller - allegedly an American-style wheat beer with a 0.3% alcohol rating - was probably the best low-alcohol beer he'd ever tasted. I bought one and... actually, it's not bad. Kind of summery, citrusy stuff, really more suitable for a hotter time of year [so nowhere near the Adnam's Broadside flavour I'd have preferred], but still not as shite as I remember such brews being. Wouldn't go out of my way to find it, but, y'know, it was a sufficiently close approximation.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:04 pm

OWETB wrote:Naked Bacon :thumbl:

Just tried this. Not cheap but it’s really nice, tastes somehow ‘clean’. You don’t need as much either because there’s no water comes out when you cook it.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:35 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
OWETB wrote:Naked Bacon :thumbl:

Just tried this. Not cheap but it’s really nice, tastes somehow ‘clean’. You don’t need as much either because there’s no water comes out when you cook it.

Not seen it yet in Sainsbury's, but quite fancy some with a nice piece of lambs liver.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Was gifted one of these over the break, new to me... have taken the time to order a box in and spread the joy... A really fruity strong beer, excellent post food.

I bet Simon's tried it.

Actually not sure I have, well not in the last four years anyway
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

non alcoholic gin - the wife's on a diet and has spent quite a few quid on this and it's no better than some odd watery mouthwash. absolute genius marketing.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Quiffy wrote:non alcoholic gin - the wife's on a diet and has spent quite a few quid on this and it's no better than some odd watery mouthwash. absolute genius marketing.

Oh, for fuck sake. There's only about 100 calories in a full fat G&T. Have you told her it's that food thing she wants to focus on?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 pm

That non-alcoholic shite is very expensive too, as I recall from the window of the local Oddbins. Kept me away from it right off.

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:49 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Anyway, we've accidentally almost gone veggie round my gaff.

Mrs DL went temporarily vegan back in October for a feature she's writing for one of the nationals* - going vegan is very 'on trend', I have since learned - so between then and Christmas I'd been cooking just for the kids and myself. After I turned 60 in Sept and discovered at the medical MOT my cholesterol was a bit high, I cut down on the booze for three months to Christmas and, since New year, have decided to reduce the meat intake too, as a kind of additional experiment.
Haven't gone full-on vegan as I can't be arsed to be so picky about not using [say] Worcester sauce because it has anchovy paste in it etc, but have been trying out a few interesting veggie recipes and have eaten fish only once since Jan 1. Cut out cheese, too [which I really like].
Have to say, it's been no effort whatsoever and also quite enjoyable adding some new recipes to the usual turnaround of dishes we used to eat.
For example, this was v nice: https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/veg ... ney-beans/
And the Sainsbury's meat-free mince [soya] is a convincingly meaty-tasting thing to make chilli, lasagne etc with. [The kids didn't even notice.] Cheap too.
Oh, and, of course, a lot of Indian food is great without any meat involved.

Yeah, so it's been a piece of piss, so far. I'd recommend it if you like cooking and might be interested in broadening your usual recipe line-up.

Oddly, haven't missed the drink much, either. A couple of pangs for a glass of red with my lasagne the other night and a Friday evening beer would be nice... but, all in all, that's been a breeze too.

*She's stayed on the vegan diet since: although she hasn't noticed any particular health benefits and whatnot, she has lost a fair bit of weight. That aspect pleases her enough to carry on for a bit longer.

I read an article recently about someone trying veganism but her husband inadvertently made her cheat by putting stuff she wasn't supposed to have in her food. Bet that was you :pig:

Return to “The Square Ball”