Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 22, 2020 12:59 pm

Some Moretti variety on Sicily, local flowers in the brew. It's nice stuff.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Quiffy wrote:likewise i'd never appreciated them german pilsners much until i got to germany last summer and drunk them from a stein out in the sun. i dunno of any other drink that seems to be such a blank canvas.

...and i'll be looking for some of that adnam's broadside this weekend, thanks Dirty. i like them strong and dark, just not that tall before you get any ideas.

Of the general range of Euro lagers, I've never really got on board with German pilsners. Very much into hefe weiss and dunkel weiss, though.

Whilst noting Dirty's recommendation, I'd also suggest Adnam's Ghost Ship. Sort of somewhere between a new style IPA and more of a trad Brit beer; really refreshing summer garden pint. Just be careful not to pick up the low alcohol variant with the very similar label, like what I fucked up with recently.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 22, 2020 1:50 pm

That low is one of the best though.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Fri May 22, 2020 2:01 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:Place and circumstances play a massive part in forming our tastes, everything is subjective, but Urquell is the best Eurolager by a country mile.
Fact!

Now this I have thought about. Staropramen is up there as well, imo, but the Czechs definitely Do It Right.

Staropramen is my drink of choice, lovely stuff. Can’t go wrong with Asda’s 4 for £6 on World Lager. Big bottles of Star, Tyskie, Moretti and Peroni leads to an agreeable evening at home. Sub in Urquell, Budvar or Cobra if supply demands.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 22, 2020 3:31 pm

the old 'UK special' [3-4% ABV] heineken was proper rats' piss, but the modern stuff [more or less what used to be quaintly named 'heineken export'] is imo a passably good midprice tipple, if nowhere near up with the best.

get fucked with yer duvel criticism.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 pm

Champagne’s a piss take really, isn’t it?

Someone sent the wife a bottle of Bolly today. No way is it forty quid better than a decent Prosecco, and it’s not within a country mile of one of the better Sussex sparklers at half the price.

This is the downside of the whole protected designation thing. Makes the useless French bastards complacent.
HM Collector Of Parcels

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat May 23, 2020 9:33 pm

I mentioned on one of the other threads that I wanted a bottle of champers in the fridge ready for a sudden Leeds promotion. Tasked the wife with getting me a decent one on the online shopping, she ended up telling me to fuck off and got the £12 Aldi brut. I suspect she’s gonna be bloody right again.
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat May 23, 2020 9:48 pm

MightyWhite wrote:I mentioned on one of the other threads that I wanted a bottle of champers in the fridge ready for a sudden Leeds promotion. Tasked the wife with getting me a decent one on the online shopping, she ended up telling me to fuck off and got the £12 Aldi brut. I suspect she’s gonna be bloody right again.

i'm shit with lagers, but reckon i can spot reasonable french plonk (lots of camping holidays and vouvray festivals), and the coop's labelled champagne for around £18 is a corker imo.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Champagne’s a piss take really, isn’t it?

Someone sent the wife a bottle of Bolly today. No way is it forty quid better than a decent Prosecco, and it’s not within a country mile of one of the better Sussex sparklers at half the price.

This is the downside of the whole protected designation thing. Makes the useless French bastards complacent.

Spot on. The Cremant in ALDI is excellent and it's only about £9.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat May 23, 2020 10:59 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Spot on. The Cremant in ALDI is excellent and it's only about £9.

Tis indeed.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Sun May 24, 2020 12:48 am

How many occasions do you guys have that warrants a champagne-like wine?
I had a bottle I was given after a project that just seemed to sit there - and since no "occasion" came along i decided i would drink it like any other wine with dinner - just seemed wrong. (Also I decided I did not want to start thinking of it as my WGUAFC celebration tipple cos I did not want to jinx it.)

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Sun May 24, 2020 2:18 am

Belgian fella told me there a is "thing " the young uns do in Belguim.

Drink 6 Duvals in a hour or maybe less and film it.

Couldn't find any links but I'm sure when he told me I checked it out and got quickly bored of youngsters being sick and falling over

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 24, 2020 7:50 am

Eddies Boots wrote:How many occasions do you guys have that warrants a champagne-like wine?

Mrs O (used to) drink Prosecco - or anything similar - by the gallon. One minor benefit of her being ill / on meds the last few months is that we’ve both stopped drinking so much and she’s lost her taste for it; she prefers wine now.

Me? I’ll neck anything that’s been opened, but I was getting a bit bored by it.
HM Collector Of Parcels

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 24, 2020 8:27 am

Eddies Boots wrote:How many occasions do you guys have that warrants a champagne-like wine?
I had a bottle I was given after a project that just seemed to sit there - and since no "occasion" came along i decided i would drink it like any other wine with dinner - just seemed wrong. (Also I decided I did not want to start thinking of it as my WGUAFC celebration tipple cos I did not want to jinx it.)

Ah, thing is, in our house we don't really regard fizz as requiring a special occasion - especially if you look for great tasting stuff at a much lower price than Champagne. Things like the ALDI Cremant or various Proseccos and Cava can be a good first bottle at the weekend, say if you're cooking around 6pm with a view to eating an hour or two later.
And you can mix it up - make a 'Champagne Cocktail' instead - except it's never Champagne, as explained - by dropping a sugar cube in the bottom of the glass, adding a little brandy to soak into it, and then topping up with bubbly. Or buy a red fizz like an Aussie Shiraz [about £8 or £9]. Then you can save your bottle of still wine for the meal.

When we got married, we took a trip over to France to buy all the booze and ended up with a car full of fizz that tasted bloody marvellous for about a quarter of the price of bog standard Champagne.
And it's easy enough to Google the best Champagne alternatives. There are loads of 'em. Basically, if you're a tight bastard like me, don't ever pay for the label.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Sun May 24, 2020 9:34 am

Aldi always do cheeky booze, often to a good standard. Anyone tried their Seadog rum? Fancy giving it a go

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 24, 2020 9:56 am

There’s a new brewery our way who were in the process of opening a tap room when this shit hit. Nice marketing ruse: they’ve come up with a disloyalty card - you have to order from a number of other local indie food businesses and you’ll get free drinks when they open. Ingratiate themselves with the local business community and guarantee customers; hope it works for them.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sun May 24, 2020 10:12 am

Quiffy wrote: the coop's labelled champagne for around £18 is a corker imo.

We are in concord over this. Think it won some newspaper blind taste test a couple of Christmases ago, up against yer Moet's and so on.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun May 24, 2020 12:05 pm

Matt White wrote:

We are in concord over this. Think it won some newspaper blind taste test a couple of Christmases ago, up against yer Moet's and so on.

:thumbl: thought we might be in accord, but concorde is definitely more appropriate when talking about champagne.

decent champagne definitely has a unique taste that i like. i'm pretty clueless when it comes to lager though. :cheers:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Matt White wrote:

:thumbl: thought we might be in accord, but concorde is definitely more appropriate when talking about champagne.

decent champagne definitely has a unique taste that i like. i'm pretty clueless when it comes to lager though. :cheers:

And Champagne, it seems. :mrgreen:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun May 24, 2020 12:21 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
And Champagne, it seems. :mrgreen:

you heard Matt, i'm in concord with the experts, you know the professional wine tasters, the ones who can tell the difference between the cremants and proper champagnes. my distinguished palate is vindicated. no need to get sour now, it shows a distinct lack of taste. :tongue:

Return to “The Square Ball”