Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
OWETB

Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...(Now with added elbow pads)

Postby OWETB » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:23 pm

As the title says. What have you had recently that you would say is worth a try, nice restaurant, decent pub, a little cafe or at home?

Recommend away fellas*.

:chef:

*This thread is not designed to be an extension of SimonB's or Beerpigs facebook pages.

AndyPaul

Re: Beers, Wines, Spirits and Food...

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:19 pm

About a month ago I went to Reds in Leeds. Meat, meat, meat. Very enjoyable. I had the doughnut burger which was perhaps a bit too sickly for my liking. The mixture of meat, barbecue and doughnut was perhaps a bit too sweet for me.

I'd recommend though, a good 8/10. Plus it right in town so lots of drinking stations to be utilised.

http://truebarbecue.com/

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Seems as good a thread as any to say that Ossett Brewery are taking over The Peacock so hopefully there will be a huge improvement in beer quality. Excelsior and Yorkshire Blonde are both great drinks and will undoubtedly be cheaper than the pavilion. If they can get the service right then it should be brilliant.

topbin

Postby topbin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:19 pm

AndyPaul wrote:About a month ago I went to Reds in Leeds. Meat, meat, meat. Very enjoyable. I had the doughnut burger which was perhaps a bit too sickly for my liking. The mixture of meat, barbecue and doughnut was perhaps a bit too sweet for me.

I'd recommend though, a good 8/10. Plus it right in town so lots of drinking stations to be utilised.

Ugh, I went to this place. They don't allow reservations, so despite turning up at 6pm we couldn't get a table til 10pm, we stuck with it. When we got sat down, they didn't have 2 of the 4(?) meats they use, including pulled pork, so ended up with a fairly standard burger, for the price of a very superior burger.

I do hear mixed reviews - basically if you go on a week day it can be very good, but I would avoid it on weekends.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:18 pm

topbin wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:About a month ago I went to Reds in Leeds. Meat, meat, meat. Very enjoyable. I had the doughnut burger which was perhaps a bit too sickly for my liking. The mixture of meat, barbecue and doughnut was perhaps a bit too sweet for me.

Ugh, I went to this place. They don't allow reservations, so despite turning up at 6pm we couldn't get a table til 10pm, we stuck with it. When we got sat down, they didn't have 2 of the 4(?) meats they use, including pulled pork, so ended up with a fairly standard burger, for the price of a very superior burger.

I do hear mixed reviews - basically if you go on a week day it can be very good, but I would avoid it on weekends.

Yeah pretty much the same. Only got seated at 10pm so by the time we ate we were pretty much pissed so...............

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:29 pm

while on holiday in Bulgaria every fucker on my table was drinking the 'cocktail of the day', well I'm a pint of beer type man so never bothered with all that poofy kind of stuff, while i was pissed and had my guard down Mrs WW brought me one, it was a pina colada, very fucking nice it was too,

so for the rest of the week i would have a different one every night (while hiding it from the real men sat around nearby).

hooray for shirt lifters drinks :cheers:

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:37 pm

topbin wrote:They don't allow reservations, so despite turning up at 6pm we couldn't get a table til 10pm, we stuck with it.

Bloody hell, you waited four hours just to eat at a specific place?! That is a level of commitment well beyond me.

On the thread subject, tried Friends of Ham (near the station) for a light tea a few weeks back. Very pleasant and did the job.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:14 am

Olive oil.
Bloody miraculous stuff. The bastard doctor ruled out all dairy products for 6 weeks earlier this year, so no cheese, no butter. This was a bit of a fucker for me, seeing as how I love cheese and the variety over here is amazing. Butter also a problem because I also love toast, as is well known. So the quack cunt suggested I use olive oil instead of butter on toast.
A fuckin 1. :salute:
Doing a bit of research it turns out that The World of Olive Oil is a bit like wine. Dozens of varieties and regional variations. Been visiting a quite few olive orchards this year, trying different types, and I'm building up an "oil cellar" a bit like a wine cellar. The price is not dissimilar, sadly, it's very easy to spend over 10€ a bottle, difference being a 75cl bottle of oil lasts months of course.
My favourites atm are the Cornicabra and Picudo varieties.
Dunno how it is over there, can you get really good olive oil easily?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:16 am

I've had a few recommendations for Sam's Chop House, any of you lot been?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

topbin

Postby topbin » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:21 am

gazurtoids wrote:
topbin wrote:They don't allow reservations, so despite turning up at 6pm we couldn't get a table til 10pm, we stuck with it.

Bloody hell, you waited four hours just to eat at a specific place?! That is a level of commitment well beyond me.

On the thread subject, tried Friends of Ham (near the station) for a light tea a few weeks back. Very pleasant and did the job.

Yeah, was in a group of 6 and everyone had heard good things about the place so wanted to give it a try.

Friends of Ham is a good shout, gets inordinately busy nowadays though, and as I'm not a huge fan of ales, I find it difficult to get a drink I really like there. The charcuterie food there is fucking ace though.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:57 am

There's a pub called the Albion just off Fleet St that servers all the Camden and Meantime beers - Some great selections in their ranges, but have just discovered Meantime's Yakima Red on draught and I think I might be in love!

http://www.meantimebrewing.com/our-beers/beer/yakima-red/

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am

thechubbyone wrote:Seems as good a thread as any to say that Ossett Brewery are taking over The Peacock so hopefully there will be a huge improvement in beer quality. Excelsior and Yorkshire Blonde are both great drinks and will undoubtedly be cheaper than the pavilion. If they can get the service right then it should be brilliant.

That is good news, as you say if they get the service right that should be great.

And anyway what is wrong with my facebook page?
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 pm

I had the pleasure of dining at Tropeiro in Nottingham the other night.
It's Brazilian, with an open kitchen in the middle of the room, where they're cooking up a load of different meats. The chefs then bring em straight out around the tables, and you take as much as you like. It's kind of all you can eat in that respect, just pay a flat 25 quid or whatever and gorge yersen stupid.

Theres a salad bar, so you get up and load up on rice or whatever, and then just chow down on whatever skewerful they bring round. You have a card next to yer plate, red on one side and green on the other. So when you turn it red side up the chefs just fuck off and leave you to it.

I had chicken hearts for the first time. Bloody lovely, but felt immoral somehow. If a chicken's gonna fall in love, that the bit it does it with innit?
Theres a couple of others round the country, ioncluding Sheffield. Good place.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:I had chicken hearts for the first time. Bloody lovely, but felt immoral somehow. If a chicken's gonna fall in love, that the bit it does it with innit?

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:04 pm

Man Called Sun wrote:I had the pleasure of dining at Tropeiro in Nottingham the other night.
It's Brazilian, with an open kitchen in the middle of the room, where they're cooking up a load of different meats. The chefs then bring em straight out around the tables, and you take as much as you like. It's kind of all you can eat in that respect, just pay a flat 25 quid or whatever and gorge yersen stupid.

Theres a salad bar, so you get up and load up on rice or whatever, and then just chow down on whatever skewerful they bring round. You have a card next to yer plate, red on one side and green on the other. So when you turn it red side up the chefs just fuck off and leave you to it.

I had chicken hearts for the first time. Bloody lovely, but felt immoral somehow. If a chicken's gonna fall in love, that the bit it does it with innit?

Sounds like Fazenda in Leeds. Bloody nice, but expensive unless you don't eat for a day or two beforehand.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:24 pm

thechubbyone wrote:Sounds like Fazenda in Leeds. Bloody nice, but expensive unless you don't eat for a day or two beforehand.

It is excellent though< I think the last time I was in there with wine it came to £40 per head
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Beer Pig

Postby Beer Pig » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm

SimonB wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:Sounds like Fazenda in Leeds. Bloody nice, but expensive unless you don't eat for a day or two beforehand.

It is excellent though< I think the last time I was in there with wine it came to £40 per head

That was Fazienda though. :mrgreen:
I gave up beer, it was the worst 15 minutes of my life.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Beer Pig wrote:
SimonB wrote:

That was Fazienda though. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Indeed

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:58 pm

I personally prefer Rib Shakk in the Corn Exchange. However, even better is Cattle Grid, which doesn't just have ribs and pulled pork.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Return to “The Square Ball”