O/T: Fuck Cancer

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
thechubbyone

Re: O/T: Fuck Cancer

Postby thechubbyone » Fri May 17, 2013 8:29 pm

At the risk of upsetting Vampire by asking the opinion of someone who might actually understand these things better than me, what do you reckon tothis sort of stuff, Blackwhite?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 19, 2013 11:19 am

thechubbyone wrote:At the risk of upsetting Vampire by asking the opinion of someone who might actually understand these things better than me, what do you reckon tothis sort of stuff, Blackwhite?

Sorry for the delay.

It's bollocks stitched to a good point, as is probably obvious. Are they alleging she timed her op to manipulate shares at the same time as saying the publication had a 3 week lead time? O-Kkkk.... Seems like there's some anti-Obamacare action going on there too. As well as some "cure cancer without drugs" stories elsewhere... They're obviously clueless cunts and anything on that site needs more salt than is buried under Cheshire.

Her decision is a personal one and makes great sense, and she's brave to do the right thing and speak out, even if it helps Myriad, as it's more important to make women who are scared and ignoring their risks to appreciate they have options better than wait & die. The odds are very stark in these cases, as you'll see better explained elsewhere.

The point about Myriad, which is a good one, is that their patent is bullshit and always was, as various courts have decided. It's been an area of great controversy and profit, patenting genetic tests, and Myriad have been utter cunts throughout (it's worth reading up on; Ben G. makes a typically great post on it here).
When I was starting out, I worked near some folks who tested for Breast & ovarian cancer via PCR for Brca1 and Brca2 for the NHS Genetics Service. There was great confusion about whether they were breaking the law or not and in the end there was enough caution to pay the license fees, otherwise women with a family history might not get tested. This was at the same time as Perkin Elmer were pushing their patent and insisting that all PCR be license-paid (PCR is a technique for amplifying DNA which underlies or is used in almost all the great advances in all areas of molecular biology made since the late 70s). We never paid for that as we felt they richly deserved to fuck off - essentially, they can patent how they make the enzyme to sell, but they can't stop someone else making it slightly differently. And competitors offered the same key product (Taq polymerase) without a license so we bought from them instead.

My firm belief is (and I think UK patent law is pretty good on it unlike the US) that you cannot patent life in it's existing forms; genes, mutant variants, whatever. All existed before you put your gloves on. But how to make something (e.g. a recombinant form of oestrogen for pills instead of purifying the equine version from piss) should be patentable. It's just in that example you don't "own" oestrogen and so another company can order primers, clone the gene and make it in their process... and I can do the same in the lab as a non-profit, and if company X don't like it they can suck my balls.

Does that cover it chubbs?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Mon May 20, 2013 10:09 am

Blackwhite wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:At the risk of upsetting Vampire by asking the opinion of someone who might actually understand these things better than me, what do you reckon tothis sort of stuff, Blackwhite?

It's bollocks stitched to a good point

Yep. Pretty much as I suspected really. I've seen a few similar articles shared by people on facebook and wondered just how much bollocks there was.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon May 20, 2013 10:33 am

thechubbyone wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:

It's bollocks stitched to a good point

Yep. Pretty much as I suspected really. I've seen a few similar articles shared by people on facebook and wondered just how much bollocks there was.

Baaaaaa! :roll:

topbin

Postby topbin » Mon May 20, 2013 11:14 am

It's the kind of thing that makes you wonder how anyone copes being a celebrity. She's basically gone through some fairly traumatic surgery, and told everyone in the hope it could make people's lives better, and then she gets this kind of nonsense written about her that stupid people (particularly stupid Americans) will just believe.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Mon May 20, 2013 1:40 pm

topbin wrote:

It's the kind of thing that makes you wonder how anyone copes being a celebrity. She's basically gone through some fairly traumatic surgery, and told everyone in the hope it could make people's lives better, and then she gets this kind of nonsense written about her that stupid people (particularly stupid Americans) will just believe.

Yep. The idea that a multi-millionaire would have bits of her body cut off to aid a corporation is about as mental as it gets really.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 20, 2013 2:57 pm

thechubbyone wrote:
topbin wrote:

Yep. The idea that a multi-millionaire would have bits of her body cut off to aid a corporation is about as mental as it gets really.

yeah, especially as them making money or not won't stop her dying...

They seem relaxed about advising people to do things that will accelerate their deaths, so we shouldn't be too surprised.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 20, 2013 10:21 pm

Because I don't do Facebook I didn't realise this bullshit had been widespread, so looking just now it gets even more comical on this ridiculous site:

Natural News is now calling on Jolie to publicly denounce patents on human genes, including the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes she has now made famous
:lol: :bounce: Must admit, hadn't heard of them before.

If it hadn't been for these pesky actors giving all these oncogenes publicity, we'd all be cancer-free. :thumbl:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 23, 2013 7:10 am

gazurtoids wrote:Iain Banks has just announced he has less than a year left. What a fucker.
Updates from the man himself: not giving up.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:48 am

So CRUK and Macmillan's prediction: half of us will get cancer, but we're surviving it more all the time.

Odds reduction is on you, ladies and gentlemen.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:23 am

Blackwhite wrote:Sorry for the delay.

It's bollocks stitched to a good point, as is probably obvious. Are they alleging she timed her op to manipulate shares at the same time as saying the publication had a 3 week lead time? O-Kkkk.... Seems like there's some anti-Obamacare action going on there too. As well as some "cure cancer without drugs" stories elsewhere... They're obviously clueless cunts and anything on that site needs more salt than is buried under Cheshire.

Her decision is a personal one and makes great sense, and she's brave to do the right thing and speak out, even if it helps Myriad, as it's more important to make women who are scared and ignoring their risks to appreciate they have options better than wait & die. The odds are very stark in these cases, as you'll see better explained elsewhere.

The point about Myriad, which is a good one, is that their patent is bullshit and always was, as various courts have decided. It's been an area of great controversy and profit, patenting genetic tests, and Myriad have been utter cunts throughout (it's worth reading up on; Ben G. makes a typically great post on it here).
When I was starting out, I worked near some folks who tested for Breast & ovarian cancer via PCR for Brca1 and Brca2 for the NHS Genetics Service. There was great confusion about whether they were breaking the law or not and in the end there was enough caution to pay the license fees, otherwise women with a family history might not get tested. This was at the same time as Perkin Elmer were pushing their patent and insisting that all PCR be license-paid (PCR is a technique for amplifying DNA which underlies or is used in almost all the great advances in all areas of molecular biology made since the late 70s). We never paid for that as we felt they richly deserved to fuck off - essentially, they can patent how they make the enzyme to sell, but they can't stop someone else making it slightly differently. And competitors offered the same key product (Taq polymerase) without a license so we bought from them instead.

My firm belief is (and I think UK patent law is pretty good on it unlike the US) that you cannot patent life in it's existing forms; genes, mutant variants, whatever. All existed before you put your gloves on. But how to make something (e.g. a recombinant form of oestrogen for pills instead of purifying the equine version from piss) should be patentable. It's just in that example you don't "own" oestrogen and so another company can order primers, clone the gene and make it in their process... and I can do the same in the lab as a non-profit, and if company X don't like it they can suck my balls.

With Michel Douglas in mind, what are the risks associated with that?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:30 am

The Douglas thing was pretty funny; seems quite likely he was taking the piss, seem to remember him having a dry sense of humour.

HPV is associated with some cancers - it's what schoolgirls get jabs for nowadays to reduce cervical cancer rates - but the only sexually transmitted cancer I know it's associated with is anal, and it's rare. Usually seen in very promiscuous gay men and Farah Fawcett (spunking smiley)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:25 pm

Earlier in the thread I talked with historical inaccuracy about the company which patented the Jolie breast cancer test.

Finally, the U.S. Supreme Court has told them to get fucked: naturally occurring DNA cannot be patented.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:25 am

Nice little bit on immunotherapy in cancer treatment.

As hinted earlier, this stuff works inherently, we just need to make use of it better. Other companies are leveraging this stuff and coming up with working therapies (a mate left the academic world to go join one of these companies as he felt they were close to making a difference).

In passing, see also: bone marrow transplant can cure HIV.

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Just a few days ago my Mam's sister in Canada sucumbed to Cancer in her late 80's. She had been battling it for 18 months but she lost the fight. She along with my Mam survived the Blitz and all sorts of challenges in her life and was a real fighter. Our family are making a contribution to a couple of cancer charities one here in the UK, and one in Canada. These charities are so worth supporting and it always brings it home when things happen very close...to how vulnerable we all are.
Ex-Servicemen dont die,they go to hell and re-group

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck 'im out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

Surrender is for wimps,I vote we die!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:54 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Nice little bit on immunotherapy in cancer treatment.

As hinted earlier, this stuff works inherently, we just need to make use of it better. Other companies are leveraging this stuff and coming up with working therapies (a mate left the academic world to go join one of these companies as he felt they were close to making a difference).

In passing, see also: bone marrow transplant can cure HIV.

Extending the topic of hijacking the adaptive immune system in treating cancer, decent and personalised insight here into a trial running in the US. Very good explanations of the technologies and effects - and the expense.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:52 am

BobbyD

Postby BobbyD » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:41 pm

OWETB wrote:Fight it Vincent.

Read this this morning in the shite that is the Sun. Didn't read the full article but after starting to read the full article some my feelings started to change about it so stopped reading. Sounded like he has been with this for a while, three bits removed and now has concerns about a mole on the back of his neck. Must be awful that, completely puts you in a state of paranioa, but rightly so.

You can do it Vinnie, good lad.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:28 pm

I've seen this doing the rounds on facebook and wondered if it's a bit of sentimental internet spin or something that might work on a widespread basis. Blackwhite?

Killing cancer with HIV.

Return to “The Square Ball”