O/T: Fuck Cancer

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Phil LUFC

Re: O/T: Fuck Cancer

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:46 pm

Blackwhite wrote:This might seem like small news, but some more solid data for the immunotherapy checkpoint inhibitors has significance for two reasons: the FDA are approving this stuff on sight because of how well it can work, and pretty much for the first time a drug is being given based on shared defects across multiple tumours, rather than different drugs for particular kinds of tumour.

Eighteen out of 86 advanced cancer patients had their tumour disappear. Excellent stuff.

Edit: I hate this write up, but it might help explain it.

Obviously this will still be a good way off being mainstream treatment but how would an advanced/terminal cancer patient with numerous secondaries enquire about such an option? (And would there be much point).

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:38 pm

Check yer pms mate.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:56 pm

There's a quiet little historic moment coming. The FDA will shortly approve the world's first cellular anticancer therapy.

This is part of the immunotherapy revolution I wrote about up ^^^^ there somewhere. There's more coming.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:43 pm

metalsmurf wrote:Update on the mother, ablative procedure went well. There were 2 bits, removed the larger, the smaller was quite close to the lung and very small so has been left at the mo. Hardly any post procedure pain this time and home the day after. :)

Mum had a scan in May and there are another couple of nodules that are not going to be able to be removed because of the position etc, so the decision was made to go on the transplant list. Finalised all the details got her signed up mid July.
Her EUCLID score is entry level (48) and she is healthy and well, apart from the obvious.
We didn't expect much to happen for a while but she got a call 3 am Thursday, went in got tested, matched with a liver, went down to theatre around 4 pm and was all done by 10 Thursday night. In ICU out cold for today, they should be bringing her round tonight, early days but a cautious :cheers:
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:18 pm

:cheers: and good luck to all concerned.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:53 pm

More power to her, metalsmurf, hope her post-op is quick and smooth, and that she takes well to the new meds.

What a time to be alive :salute:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:40 pm

Mrs O has to have a dodgy not-quite-a-mole thing removed from her face. She's a bit narked because she's probably been using the same moisturiser for 20 years and it's SPF20, not that that's why she uses it AFAIK. So much for sensible bloody precautions and all that.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:13 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Mrs O has to have a dodgy not-quite-a-mole thing removed from her face. She's a bit narked because she's probably been using the same moisturiser for 20 years and it's SPF20, not that that's why she uses it AFAIK. So much for sensible bloody precautions and all that.

People rely on this stuff in a single application, whether in slap or sunblock, and it's pretty clear from the testing that continual reapplication is needed to keep up the protection.

Hopefully she gets a histology all clear and can relax about it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Mrs O has to have a dodgy not-quite-a-mole thing removed from her face. She's a bit narked because she's probably been using the same moisturiser for 20 years and it's SPF20, not that that's why she uses it AFAIK. So much for sensible bloody precautions and all that.

People rely on this stuff in a single application, whether in slap or sunblock, and it's pretty clear from the testing that continual reapplication is needed to keep up the protection.

Hopefully she gets a histology all clear and can relax about it.

Slightly farcical in a way. They said it's almost certainly not cancer but took it off for a biopsy - in other words exactly what they would have done had it have been cancer.

Good news is it now looks like I've been knocking her about, so at least I get to assert my masculinity for a while.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:10 pm

Standard, Eric. These things are treated like right wing nut jobs want to treat immigrants: kill them them find out if they were OK.

Here, it makes sense.

It'll be fine BTW. A relative of mine went through exactly this dance a short while ago.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

Just a quiet bump to suggest you fine cunts consider registering as a stem cell donor, if you're pretty much healthy and under 55 (sorry gimmers), you're good. Just registered, took two minutes. Fuck cancer.

Thank you.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:46 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Just a quiet bump to suggest you fine cunts consider registering as a stem cell donor, if you're pretty much healthy and under 55 (sorry gimmers), you're good. Just registered, took two minutes. Fuck cancer.

Thank you.

Have been registered for a few years, bloke at work needed a match. Eventually got one but ultimately only bought him a bit more time. Useful reminder though, I've been meaning to update by details for a while now.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Just a quiet bump to suggest you fine cunts consider registering as a stem cell donor, if you're pretty much healthy and under 55 (sorry gimmers), you're good. Just registered, took two minutes. Fuck cancer.

Thank you.

Have been registered for a few years, bloke at work needed a match. Eventually got one but ultimately only bought him a bit more time. Useful reminder though, I've been meaning to update by details for a while now.

:salute:

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you.

done :thumbl:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:26 pm

:thumbl: Q

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Thank you.

Done
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:25 pm

Not that anyone needs additional motivation, but no one should have to post a message like this.

Heartbreaking... fuck cancer.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:49 pm

Thank you.

Done
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Cheers Ponte, metalsmurf

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Thank you.

Done :thumbl:
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Return to “The Square Ball”