O/T: Fuck Cancer

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T: Fuck Cancer

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:04 pm

Did her folks tend to live longer than your folks, Eric?

If so, some of yours​ probably would've gone that way if they'd lived longer (cancer being a disorder of old DNA, essentially).... Dunno.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Did her folks tend to live longer than your folks, Eric?

If so, some of yours​ probably would've gone that way if they'd lived longer (cancer being a disorder of old DNA, essentially).... Dunno.

Yeah, probably, so I guess that's a factor.

Yay! I'll be dead before I get cancer!

Billy Casper

Postby Billy Casper » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:19 pm

I have depression and alcoholism and strangely longevity in my family. Most situations have killed us males off before we are in any other medical condition, but then the women go on to a ripe old age. I dunno how it works
No Skuche ala Gats

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:39 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Did her folks tend to live longer than your folks, Eric?

Yeah, probably, so I guess that's a factor.

Yay! I'll be dead before I get cancer!

As Danny/Kummel would say, that's the spirit!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:22 pm

Billy Casper wrote:I have depression and alcoholism and strangely longevity in my family. Most situations have killed us males off before we are in any other medical condition, but then the women go on to a ripe old age. I dunno how it works

All issues that can be caused by those women mate :mrgreen: maybe you should consider being single.....
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Billy Casper

Postby Billy Casper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:32 pm

All issues that can be caused by those women mate :mrgreen: maybe you should consider being single.....[/quote]

I think I am now. Last night I got a kicking on the way home from the pub. She thinks I got hit by a jealous husband. You couldn't make it up!

She's pissed with me because I'm off to an old mates wedding in St Ives. I wanted her to come but she won't because of her kids who are all going away this weekend anyway.

I've even given up Weller tickets tonight, but somehow everything I do is wrong! C'est la fucking vie
No Skuche ala Gats

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Billy Casper wrote:I've even given up Weller tickets tonight, but somehow everything I do is wrong! C'est la fucking vie

Woah there tiger, no dolly bird's worth that.
She sounded reasonable until this point.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:27 pm

Billy Casper wrote:Last night I got a kicking on the way home from the pub.

Err... do tell. If you're well enough, like.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:39 pm

you should add your tale to the now sadly tumbleweed-strewn 'share your twattings' thread if its any good.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:37 am

Any thoughts on here on the use of CBD oil or other Cannabinoidols (?) for cancer treatment?

Looking at this as a possible option for my Mum for pain relief from upcoming strong chemo sessions. not sure how to broach it with her really, but as she was an ITU Nurse for 40+ years, i'm thinking empirical evidence or at least reliable studies might be the best option.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

Briefly: use, yes. As treatment, no.

Usually as an adjunct to chemo to quell nausea and stimulate appetite. Not aware of any evidence for any anti cancer effect, anyone who tells you there is is lying.

Can elaborate more tonight, busy

Edit while I wait for this step:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2 ... f%20cancer

Some light reading...

Sci-hub.cc if you can't get the pdf

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Hey fella,
As ever the NCI have a great page, here. Thank the Septics - Where it's much easier to arrange, but still very hard to get Federal funds to study :shrug:

If you want anything pulling from the paywall, or contextualising, holler.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:31 am

Billy Casper wrote:I think I am now. Last night I got a kicking on the way home from the pub. She thinks I got hit by a jealous husband. You couldn't make it up!

She's pissed with me because I'm off to an old mates wedding in St Ives. I wanted her to come but she won't because of her kids who are all going away this weekend anyway.

I've even given up Weller tickets tonight, but somehow everything I do is wrong! C'est la fucking vie

You have only just realised that everything you do is going to be wrong :mrgreen:

I would say you need to roll with the punches......
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Hey fella,
As ever the NCI have a great page, here. Thank the Septics - Where it's much easier to arrange, but still very hard to get Federal funds to study :shrug:

If you want anything pulling from the paywall, or contextualising, holler.

Thanks mate, I'll pick through those and bring it up with her

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:12 pm

No probs.

The CBD thing is interesting, there are those who swear by it as an aid to a healthy/restful life (looking at you, Krust, shilling the stuff in my Twitter feed). No idea if there's any solid trial data - as you will see from the NCI page, the work just doesn't get done until someone really pushes for it - which is why Sativex had taken so long.

The non-psychoactive compounds might be easier to persuade her to try, but if my understanding is correct there's no non-psychoactive preparation that has the right mix of effects in the areas you're rightly thinking of.

Besides, if she opts for non-psychoactive she's missing a trick anyway :mrgreen:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 pm

Yeah. We have some stuff ongoing with some of them. I was wondering if we'd ever see the samples we want, and now I'm guessing not...

Billy Casper

Postby Billy Casper » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:49 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Yeah. We have some stuff ongoing with some of them. I was wondering if we'd ever see the samples we want, and now I'm guessing not...

How can you tell that all from a keyboard and with no friends, just colleagues and a wife, you keyboard warrior, you!!!
No Skuche ala Gats

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 pm

Billy Casper wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Yeah. We have some stuff ongoing with some of them. I was wondering if we'd ever see the samples we want, and now I'm guessing not...

How can you tell that all from a keyboard and with no friends, just colleagues and a wife, you keyboard warrior, you!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:19 pm

This might seem like small news, but some more solid data for the immunotherapy checkpoint inhibitors has significance for two reasons: the FDA are approving this stuff on sight because of how well it can work, and pretty much for the first time a drug is being given based on shared defects across multiple tumours, rather than different drugs for particular kinds of tumour.

Eighteen out of 86 advanced cancer patients had their tumour disappear. Excellent stuff.

Edit: I hate this write up, but it might help explain it.

Return to “The Square Ball”