O/T: Fuck Cancer

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T: Fuck Cancer

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:11 pm

Cheers PTBL
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm

Hey BW, what do you know about proton therapy?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Not a lot other than it's maybe going to show benefit for some tumours, think they got a newish one at UCL and there will be older accelerators around, although whether they're suitable for this I dunno.

AFAIK it's early days while the trials investigate actual outcomes. But obviously we're buying into it to some degree.

ETA check out gamma knife if you haven't already seen it.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:36 pm

Just had an update from Mum:
"Hi, just to let you know I have the result of my latest scan. There is progression of my liver mets again, so more chemotherapy. I have decided to try the oral chemo Capecitebine, hopefully it will be less debilitating than I chemo and I shouldn't lose my hair."

Fuck.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:04 pm

This is rarely the good news thread, but I always hope it is when opening posts. Sorry to hear this, obviously upsetting to learn but better to know and be able to act. Best of British to her obviously: hope it goes well.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:09 pm

Shit, fingers crossed mate.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:48 am

A fucking bastard of a disease. I hope for the best mate.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 am

Text last night from sis that my Mum is getting worse (she packed in the chemo after Xmas as it wasn't working, so just a matter of time now really) and I should try to get up there a bit more. Happy birthday to me, eh ?!

I spoke to Mum in Sunday (obvs) and she sounded in good spirits, in fact she was about to go for a walk and a coffee with friends up at Harlow Carr gardens, so she was either putting on a brave face (she is known for being stubborn) or has had a sudden decline since.

Fuck!

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:36 am

LSD&2Es wrote:Text last night from sis that my Mum is getting worse (she packed in the chemo after Xmas as it wasn't working, so just a matter of time now really) and I should try to get up there a bit more. Happy birthday to me, eh ?!

I spoke to Mum in Sunday (obvs) and she sounded in good spirits, in fact she was about to go for a walk and a coffee with friends up at Harlow Carr gardens, so she was either putting on a brave face (she is known for being stubborn) or has had a sudden decline since.

Fuck!

Probably the brave face mate, mothers do that shit. My mum is in poor health but never lets it bother her outwardly.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:04 am

SB parents dropping like flies, suppose it’s a sign of the times, most of us the wrong side of 35 or whatever.

My dad was diagnosed with a brain tumour [inoperable] last autumn, seems to be progressing quickly:

October – fairly mild symptoms [pins & needles type], reducible to nothing with a few steroid pills;

December – noticeably reduced function on the right side of his body, speech a little hesitant, but still his old self;

February onwards – resembles a moderately advanced Alzheimer’s patient. Also seems to have become about 3” shorter.

Tough especially for my mum, not least because he’s physically a John Charles type, if he falls over or whatever there’s no way a woman [least of all a woman in her 60s] can do much to help him up.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Jokes about communism are not funny unless everyone gets them

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:58 pm

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue May 15, 2018 7:04 pm

very brief update (as I forgot to get a pack of tissues at the station).

Mum went peacefully at 10:05 this morning in the frankly spectacular St Michael's Hospice in Harrogate after a 3 week stay that everyone (especially her) thought would be more like 3 days. I honestly don't know how we would have coped without the support and advice from that place and urge anyone who's friends or relatives are ever offered hospice care to grab it with both hands and embrace the wonderful, selfless work they do to bring about peaceful, painless end of life.

Whilst I've always previously been very much predisposed to supporting things like cancer research as opposed to care - I think mainly due to my professional bias of prevention rather than cure or post live support - I will certainly be fundraising for them as part of my mid-life crisis fitness revelation.

If you have a glass tonight, please raise it to the original Mrs LSD - I'm getting red wine smashed on the train back to London after 3 very hard weeks in Harrogate and 2 very tough years to hug my kids and kiss my wife (then back up Friday to watch Josh smash that smug twat Selby!)

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Tue May 15, 2018 7:19 pm

LSD&2Es wrote:very brief update (as I forgot to get a pack of tissues at the station).

Mum went peacefully at 10:05 this morning in the frankly spectacular St Michael's Hospice in Harrogate after a 3 week stay that everyone (especially her) thought would be more like 3 days. I honestly don't know how we would have coped without the support and advice from that place and urge anyone who's friends or relatives are ever offered hospice care to grab it with both hands and embrace the wonderful, selfless work they do to bring about peaceful, painless end of life.

Whilst I've always previously been very much predisposed to supporting things like cancer research as opposed to care - I think mainly due to my professional bias of prevention rather than cure or post live support - I will certainly be fundraising for them as part of my mid-life crisis fitness revelation.

If you have a glass tonight, please raise it to the original Mrs LSD - I'm getting red wine smashed on the train back to London after 3 very hard weeks in Harrogate and 2 very tough years to hug my kids and kiss my wife (then back up Friday to watch Josh smash that smug twat Selby!)

Lovely post, sincere condolences....horrible disease.

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue May 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Yeboah wrote:
LSD&2Es wrote:very brief update (as I forgot to get a pack of tissues at the station).

Lovely post, sincere condolences....horrible disease.

Thanks mate

ALAW (though Mum was pretty ambivalent, but always hated Ken Bates!)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue May 15, 2018 7:41 pm

Condolences, mate. :(

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue May 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Condolences to you and your family :cry:

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue May 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Glass duly raised, sir.
I like it. What is it?

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Tue May 15, 2018 8:02 pm

Thanks Dirty, Devi, Phil (et al)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Ah, fella... sorry to hear. I hope your time together through it leaves you ok.

Respect to your ma - hospice care is the best, of the patient and their loved ones both. Link.

Return to “The Square Ball”