Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 15, 2016 9:16 am

Tragically for Priscilla, non.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Mustafaster » Sun May 15, 2016 9:18 am

Blackwhite wrote:Tragically for Priscilla, non.

Oh dear, 'ow sad ...
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 15, 2016 9:47 am

Vampire wrote:If I were in Team Dami I'd be asking for a recount.


If I were in Team Dami I'd be asking why the fuck the song was so badly structured.

Obviously, the whole shenanigans is bollocks, musically speaking, but, well... Mrs Dirty wanted to watch it; so we opened some wine, I did the cooking and then I sat, laptop open doing other shit too, with it on in the background.
Excuses offered, it sounded to me like there were way too many euro-power-pop ballads of the variety that's all too common nowadays - y'know, they start out with a build up, feel like they're going to burst into a club anthem and then instead deliver the hook without any interesting change in rhythm... before subsiding again, rinse and repeat. Dami's song did exactly that.
I could hear from the first two lines she had a decent voice, but then she started shrieking, giving us all she'd got, and we'd hardly let the song sit down and say hello. It's a tedious trick imported from American gospel, via Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey and so into mainstream pop/R&B years ago - and it doesn't work. It's the musical equivalent of telling a six-line joke and inserting the punchline every other line as you tell it. If you give it all away after a couple of lines, there's nowhere - vocally - left for the singer to go. So, although she was only following a trend that she hoped might be acceptable to the Euro masses, I'm glad it didn't win because of the way they'd done it. I hate that style of song 'writing'.
I am surprised that the Russian one didn't win because the staging was so well done. Thought people would lap that up, but no. I did, however, pick the winner as probably my own favourite [see earlier post] - relatively, I mean: I don't actually want to hear it again, ever - but was surprised it then went and won the competition because, well, I'm used to not liking what everyone else likes when it comes to music, so it never occurred to me I might be in with the majority.

Best thing for me was Norton's commentary. I find him funny.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Sun May 15, 2016 9:56 am

dirty leeds wrote:
If I were in Team Dami I'd be asking why the fuck the song was so badly structured.

Obviously, the whole shenanigans is bollocks, musically speaking, but, well... Mrs Dirty wanted to watch it; so we opened some wine, I did the cooking and then I sat, laptop open doing other shit too, with it on in the background.
Excuses offered, it sounded to me like there were way too many euro-power-pop ballads of the variety that's all too common nowadays - y'know, they start out with a build up, feel like they're going to burst into a club anthem and then instead deliver the hook without any interesting change in rhythm... before subsiding again, rinse and repeat. Dami's song did exactly that.
I could hear from the first two lines she had a decent voice, but then she started shrieking, giving us all she'd got, and we'd hardly let the song sit down and say hello. It's a tedious trick imported from American gospel, via Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey and so into mainstream pop/R&B years ago - and it doesn't work. It's the musical equivalent of telling a six-line joke and inserting the punchline every other line as you tell it. If you give it all away after a couple of lines, there's nowhere - vocally - left for the singer to go. So, although she was only following a trend that she hoped might be acceptable to the Euro masses, I'm glad it didn't win because of the way they'd done it. I hate that style of song 'writing'.
I am surprised that the Russian one didn't win because the staging was so well done. Thought people would lap that up, but no. I did, however, pick the winner as probably my own favourite [see earlier post] - relatively, I mean: I don't actually want to hear it again, ever - but was surprised it then went and won the competition because, well, I'm used to not liking what everyone else likes when it comes to music, so it never occurred to me I might be in with the majority.

Best thing for me was Norton's commentary. I find him funny.


And the U.K. entry?
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Tommy » Sun May 15, 2016 10:07 am

ESC is supposed to be over the top and cliche ridden tho' innit. Most people are not voting with their ears as such. Australia's entry clearly could sing, had an alright-ish song but as our lass pointed out, she also had the best outfit/bling that showed off her legs etc. Plus votes for Australia avoid the politics of voting for a European nation and in general people like something a touch exotic (she was the only Asian on the night). Had there not been a political dimension to the other two leading candidates I reckon she'd have won it in her sleep.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Sun May 15, 2016 10:18 am

Tommy wrote:ESC is supposed to be over the top and cliche ridden tho' innit. Most people are not voting with their ears as such. Australia's entry clearly could sing, had an alright-ish song but as our lass pointed out, she also had the best outfit/bling that showed off her legs etc. Plus votes for Australia avoid the politics of voting for a European nation and in general people like something a touch exotic (she has the only Asian on the night). Had there not been a political dimension to the other two leading candidates I reckon she'd have won it in her sleep.


I think she had the best voice in the competition - and IMO one of the better songs (though that is obviously subjective and also relative given the number of songs that are utter dross). The Ukranian win was more about politics than the singer or song which were mediocre at best.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 15, 2016 10:31 am

Oh cry me a fucking river. Seemingly only one person thinks this is a real contest and to be taken seriously. Fucking crank :elephant:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Sun May 15, 2016 11:00 am

Blackwhite wrote:Seemingly only one person thinks this is a real contest and to be taken seriously. Fucking crank


Well, you're obviously taking it seriously given the number of times you keep popping up on this thread. Have you been up all night exchanging crazy anecdotes with your "Stockholm mates?"
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 15, 2016 11:14 am

Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:
If I were in Team Dami I'd be asking why the fuck the song was so badly structured.

Obviously, the whole shenanigans is bollocks, musically speaking, but, well... Mrs Dirty wanted to watch it; so we opened some wine, I did the cooking and then I sat, laptop open doing other shit too, with it on in the background.
Excuses offered, it sounded to me like there were way too many euro-power-pop ballads of the variety that's all too common nowadays - y'know, they start out with a build up, feel like they're going to burst into a club anthem and then instead deliver the hook without any interesting change in rhythm... before subsiding again, rinse and repeat. Dami's song did exactly that.
I could hear from the first two lines she had a decent voice, but then she started shrieking, giving us all she'd got, and we'd hardly let the song sit down and say hello. It's a tedious trick imported from American gospel, via Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey and so into mainstream pop/R&B years ago - and it doesn't work. It's the musical equivalent of telling a six-line joke and inserting the punchline every other line as you tell it. If you give it all away after a couple of lines, there's nowhere - vocally - left for the singer to go. So, although she was only following a trend that she hoped might be acceptable to the Euro masses, I'm glad it didn't win because of the way they'd done it. I hate that style of song 'writing'.
I am surprised that the Russian one didn't win because the staging was so well done. Thought people would lap that up, but no. I did, however, pick the winner as probably my own favourite [see earlier post] - relatively, I mean: I don't actually want to hear it again, ever - but was surprised it then went and won the competition because, well, I'm used to not liking what everyone else likes when it comes to music, so it never occurred to me I might be in with the majority.

Best thing for me was Norton's commentary. I find him funny.


And the U.K. entry?



It was dire. Never stood an earthly.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 15, 2016 11:16 am

Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Seemingly only one person thinks this is a real contest and to be taken seriously. Fucking crank


Well, you're obviously taking it seriously given the number of times you keep popping up on this thread. Have you been up all night exchanging crazy anecdotes with your "Stockholm mates?"

:mrgreen: I'm on the beach, fishing. Landed a tiddler, but boy can it make a whine :bounce:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Sun May 15, 2016 11:21 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:Seemingly only one person thinks this is a real contest and to be taken seriously. Fucking crank


Well, you're obviously taking it seriously given the number of times you keep popping up on this thread. Have you been up all night exchanging crazy anecdotes with your "Stockholm mates?"

:mrgreen: I'm on the beach, fishing. Landed a tiddler, but boy can it make a whine :bounce:


Congratulations. Landing your own knob on the line is something you probably couldn't repeat even if you tried.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 15, 2016 11:37 am

That doesn't even work.


Give your butt a few weeks to stop hurting, then try again :lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Sun May 15, 2016 11:45 am

Vampire wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:I'm on the beach, fishing. Landed a tiddler, but boy can it make a whine :bounce:


Congratulations. Landing your own knob on the line is something you probably couldn't repeat even if you tried.


Blackwhite wrote:That doesn't even work.


Ah well, let a wasp sting it then.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 15, 2016 11:50 am

It's painful to see you attempt wit.


Like watching Hawking try to breakdance.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Fri May 05, 2017 2:04 am

Hey Rhys - I see the UK has selected someone from the land of your fathers this year. Do you think it has a chance?

There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby welshwhite » Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 pm

When it comes to wars and eurovision song contests we're all British. We march and fight under one great flag together.

I make a point of listening to all competitors songs at least three times and I think we have a real chance of winning it this time. Holland, Germany, RussIa, and Finland have also got a strong chance.

I'll be there once again with my new wife, tickets bought for the second row :thumbl:

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Devi » Fri May 05, 2017 7:49 pm

I fully expect null points, and all results to be given in French and German only.
I like it. What is it?

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Mustafaster » Sat May 06, 2017 7:39 am

I thought we'd voted to leave Eurovision.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
The Tin Man
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby The Tin Man » Sat May 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Vampire wrote:Hey Rhys - I see the UK has selected someone from the land of your fathers this year. Do you think it has a chance?



Oh dear . Zero chance. What a dirge - not even an uplifting rousing chorus.
For every step,the footprint was already there.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Bonnie Tyler representing the UK in Eurovision

Postby Vampire » Fri May 12, 2017 11:56 am

Just watched SF1 - Australia through to the final keeping up our 100% qualification record. Crap song but who cares!

Kasha Mos through for Poland. She did a playboy cover in support of animal rights - 100-1 to win but I'd say not a bad each way bet for top three.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests