End of season 'B' team reports

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: End of season 'B' team reports

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:26 pm

Aye. I tried to buy the lad and his mate a pint but they wouldn't have it.

In fairness though I'm in the 'kop' and I've seen what looked like a couple of black cab drivers in full kit. That was enough to make me question whether they've any business surviving as a club.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:24 am

In vaguely related (and frankly ridiculously early) news, step-Devi gets a Bromley season ticket by dint of him playing for their academy...
Assuming LUFC memberships remain redundant, and tickets for the Reading game be as hard to come by as unicorn milk, anyone fancy a meet up on March 10th for the Guiseley game?

Bueller?
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:51 pm

Lewes sitting atop Ryman South with 5 games to go, although they’ve had a shakey result or two lately and could go second to a team with games in hand. Two up auto though, should be ok.

Says a lot about the state of lower league football but, should they get promoted, attendances, sponsorship, ticket cost etc will all likely stay the same whilst playing costs (travel and wages) increase.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Crusaders on top Irish Premier with 2 points clear from Coleraine. 6 matches left and they 4 at home. If the win the league that will be 3 titles in 4 seasons.
Andymac

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Albacete's match yesterday was cancelled after one of their players.... errrr... fell from a third floor balcony at his hotel room pre-match , sustaining pretty serious injuries which lead the hospital to put him in an induced coma.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Albacete's match yesterday was cancelled after one of their players.... errrr... fell from a third floor balcony at his hotel room pre-match , sustaining pretty serious injuries which lead the hospital to put him in an induced coma.

Sign him up!
Andymac

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:32 am

Andymac-47 wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:Albacete's match yesterday was cancelled after one of their players.... errrr... fell from a third floor balcony at his hotel room pre-match , sustaining pretty serious injuries which lead the hospital to put him in an induced coma.

Sign him up!

Yep, fits in perfectly with the club policy of signing crocks.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

End of season 'B' team reports

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:

Sign him up!

Yep, fits in perfectly with the club policy of signing crocks.

Crocks or crooks? I like to think that he ‘wasn’t sure if he’d been coerced into it’ a la Cameron Bancroft to get out of playing as they had a couple of key injuries or summat.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:50 am

The Mighty Rooks promoted last night. Now down to 3/4 games whether we or Carshalton Athletic go up as Champions.

I was having a look last night at who Lewes will face next year and who we've played in recent seasons. Noticed that the lower leagues are much more volatile than the Football League: there are teams who were a couple of leagues below us 5/6 years ago who are now a couple of leagues above us. It's like Accrington Stanley getting to the Prem.

I realise that there are basically two business models covering the majority of teams at this level.

1. Scraping along, hand-to-mouth, hopefully avoiding relegation or bankruptcy. Maybe get lucky with a manager or a couple of good player finds to boost a season or two - until they fuck off to a higher level.
2. Ted Bloggs of Ted Bloggs Skip & Portaloo Hire wanders along and pours a small fortune in. In this case it seems remarkably straightforward to do the 4 or 5 promotions on the bounce thing. Crowds; ground capacity; advertising: none of that matters. It's just how generous your permatanned gold-chained 50 year old local-lad-made-good is feeling, or a question of when his trophy wife divorces him and takes all the money.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:11 pm

harrogate town are 'kicking ass' in national league north [tier 6, i.e. one below the top tier of non-league football]

there's unfortunately only one automatic promotion place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=harro ... xy;st;fp;1

harrogate are one of the smaller clubs in the division, c 3k capacity ground with c 500 seats [e.g. stockport have c 11k seats, york are also much bigger than HG]

leeds links - Ben Parker; Josh Falkingham; Tom Lees' younger brother.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:36 pm

For some reason I’ve always assumed that Railway are the hip team to follow in Argit, but they’re a few leagues down?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:40 pm

the flying pig wrote:harrogate town are 'kicking ass' in national league north [tier 6, i.e. one below the top tier of non-league football]

there's unfortunately only one automatic promotion place.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=harro ... xy;st;fp;1

harrogate are one of the smaller clubs in the division, c 3k capacity ground with c 500 seats [e.g. stockport have c 11k seats, york are also much bigger than HG]

leeds links - Ben Parker; Josh Falkingham; Tom Lees' younger brother.

You missed:

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:32 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:For some reason I’ve always assumed that Railway are the hip team to follow in Argit, but they’re a few leagues down?

Yeah… they’re quite a lot worse. Town are pretty much all full time pro’s this year, I think. Railway has for whatever reason had a fair bit of success in the FA cup though, probably part of the reason why people know the name, I think they’d been in the first round proper a couple of times before Town had managed it at all.

Railway are basically the team for Starbeck, a suburb of Harrogate, almost like a little standalone town or village. As the name of the football club suggests Starbeck kinda sprung up during the 1800s because there were some big, important railway facilities there, but only for about a century, they declined wot with the end of steam, beeching, competition from other facilities, etc. It’s now, on a very small scale & despite Harrogate overall being quite posh, a fairly standard post-industrial dump, whose main exports are single mothers & petty criminals.

so, yeah, railway's maybe kind of a grittier club with a bit more [mostly dubious] character, but definitely smaller & worse.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:45 pm

Completely by-the-by but Eastbourne, just down the road from me, a town of 100,000 and known to all as God's waiting room, has four 'senior' football clubs playing in the lower tiers of the pyramid: Town, United, Borough and Langney Wanderers. Total mystery how any of the buggers manage to get people to turn up.

Curiously, there's a thing round here for a few of these clubs having an antifa Ultras crew with drums and pyro etc. Keeps the blighters off the streets I suppose.

Devi

Postby Devi » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:29 pm

The Hamlet sitting in 2nd, safely in the playoffs 3 points off top, ground sharing for the rest of this and (subject to the ongoing dispute with the landowners) all of next season with the team in bottom.

Difficult fixture management to come, but amused on looking at the table thta only one team has had points deducted for cheating.

The Met Police.

:cheers:
I like it. What is it?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 pm

in most ways my second team are my daughter's lot who i help out and coach a bit. they're u14 girls, so a moody, awkward bunch for whom training is a chore, but we've got them reasonably well organised for a match day and today was the semi final of the local cup.

we started really well, creating chance after chance that we never capitalised on and then 20 minutes in the other team's first attack ended in a goal. 5 minutes late we let their best player cross it into the box which was vollied into the corner. lasogga wouldn't have finished it that well, grot would have probably air kicked it.

half time, and we told them how well they were playing and just said, you get a goal back and this is a different match. and that's what happened, we got one back, then equalised, then took the lead and went on to win 5-2. we're into the cup final for the first time and the manU of the league (they poach all the best players and usually win everything) were knocked out, so..... :cheers:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Quiffy wrote:in most ways my second team are my daughter's lot who i help out and coach a bit. they're u14 girls, so a moody, awkward bunch for whom training is a chore, but we've got them reasonably well organised for a match day and today was the semi final of the local cup.

we started really well, creating chance after chance that we never capitalised on and then 20 minutes in the other team's first attack ended in a goal. 5 minutes late we let their best player cross it into the box which was vollied into the corner. lasogga wouldn't have finished it that well, grot would have probably air kicked it.

half time, and we told them how well they were playing and just said, you get a goal back and this is a different match. and that's what happened, we got one back, then equalised, then took the lead and went on to win 5-2. we're into the cup final for the first time and the manU of the league (they poach all the best players and usually win everything) were knocked out, so..... :cheers:

Want a job at Leeds, mate?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:46 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Quiffy wrote:in most ways my second team are my daughter's lot who i help out and coach a bit. they're u14 girls, so a moody, awkward bunch for whom training is a chore, but we've got them reasonably well organised for a match day and today was the semi final of the local cup.

Want a job at Leeds, mate?

i'd stop having to read or post on any social media straight away, so no. thanks. :D
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:32 pm

Quiffaday.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:12 pm

Quiffingbottom

Return to “The Square Ball”