Mickey Apples Appreciation Thread aka The Sack Race

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Oheddieeddie

Re: The Sack Race

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:25 pm

ARDS wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:Call me controversial but Billy Davies is available.

:elephant: OUT.

No would like a new broom but if we go for experience :roll: above go for Micky Adams.

Was it his relegation as manager of Sheffield United, or the relegation at Leicester, or the relegation at Brentford that brought you to this conclusion, or his failures with Coventry, or perhaps his walking out on Swansea after 3 matches? :D :D :D

Owen Coyle for me, desperately unlucky to have all his hard work undone by the Muamba thing.

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
ARDS wrote:
AndyPaul wrote:Call me controversial but Billy Davies is available.

:elephant: OUT.

No would like a new broom but if we go for experience :roll: above go for Micky Adams.

Was it his relegation as manager of Sheffield United, or the relegation at Leicester, or the relegation at Brentford that brought you to this conclusion, or his failures with Coventry, or perhaps his walking out on Swansea after 3 matches? :D :D :D

Owen Coyle for me, desperately unlucky to have all his hard work undone by the Muamba thing.

Yeah but to be fair to him he did get dicked off at Fulham for the big name KK when he was doing well.
The others are similar situations to what we face now and it has come to me your right forget Mickey Adams. :wink:
Forza Leeds Utd

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:49 pm

Hmmm. How is Fabrice Muamba's near-death-experience responsible for Coyle's Bolton misadventure? I've missed that link.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:53 pm

Steve Kean anyone?

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Only one man can save us...

:salute:

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:08 pm

FredFlintstone wrote:Only one man can save us...

:salute:

Wise up we would be playing hoof ball !
Opps just realised we are.
Ok Chris Powell it is,made up my mind I have. :cheers:
Forza Leeds Utd

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

gazurtoids wrote:Hmmm. How is Fabrice Muamba's near-death-experience responsible for Coyle's Bolton misadventure? I've missed that link.

In the same way that our players minds were not really on it against Galatasaraay.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:26 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:Hmmm. How is Fabrice Muamba's near-death-experience responsible for Coyle's Bolton misadventure? I've missed that link.

In the same way that our players minds were not really on it against Galatasaraay.

For a couple of games, sure. For near enough a year? Nah.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:50 pm

gazurtoids wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:

For a couple of games, sure. For near enough a year? Nah.

The difference being it was a teammate, and he didnt leave hospital till mid April. Relegation then brought its own problems

the glory years

Postby the glory years » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:
the glory years wrote:Is that it ? Really ?

The Glory Years.......... 1939-45 by any chance?

So how does he get a job now then with Swindon ?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:28 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
the glory years wrote:Is that it ? Really ?

It's enough for me. Christ knows, we've had enough cunts associated with this club over the years.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of posting same.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:The difference being it was a teammate, and he didnt leave hospital till mid April. Relegation then brought its own problems

Difference being Muamba didn't die and didn't look likely to after day 1.

Here are the stats for Bolton with and without Muamba last season: W7-D2-L12 vs W8-D5-L12. Before that FA cup game, Bolton sat in 19th place with 20 points from 26 games; they finished 18th with 36 points from 38 games. That's right, if anything, Bolton improved after Muamba's attack!

Just an observation Ed but you seem to be very happy to find excuses for people you like such that they can be absolved from any criticism whatsoever (Gray, Clayton, Coyle) and near unequivocal in your castigation of those you don't (Warnock, LUST).* Seems to me you deal mainly in extremes and often work on prejudice?

* I don't necessarily disagree in all these cases.

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Too lazy to look so no idea if he's been mentioned but ............ there's a good chance that Paul Lambert will soon be available. Might see Leeds as the sleeping giant in need of resurrection - a job that he could do. He's been touted before Warnock. Depends on whether the owners have got any money but wouldn't be that surprised if he eneded up at Leeds. Would be a great appointment.
For every step,the footprint was already there.

Dale White

Postby Dale White » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I don't think Villa will sack Lambert and if they did I reckon he'd get another prem gig because Villa have hardly backed him in the market. The Muamba thing didn't cost Bolton relegation, Great Effort by OEE to stick up for his man though. :mrgreen:
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:16 pm

gazurtoids wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:The difference being it was a teammate, and he didnt leave hospital till mid April. Relegation then brought its own problems

Difference being Muamba didn't die and didn't look likely to after day 1.

Here are the stats for Bolton with and without Muamba last season: W7-D2-L12 vs W8-D5-L12. Before that FA cup game, Bolton sat in 19th place with 20 points from 26 games; they finished 18th with 36 points from 38 games. That's right, if anything, Bolton improved after Muamba's attack!

Just an observation Ed but you seem to be very happy to find excuses for people you like such that they can be absolved from any criticism whatsoever (Gray, Clayton, Coyle) and near unequivocal in your castigation of those you don't (Warnock, LUST).* Seems to me you deal mainly in extremes and often work on prejudice?

* I don't necessarily disagree in all these cases.

Im really surprised by the stats youve posted on Muamba. Fair Play, Im very surprised.

You often hold me up to account for opinions I express, which is fair enough. Its a discussion board. I hadnt looked into the stats in the forensic way you have to prove your point though.

I could throw in the fact that the saga of their best player Gary Cahill's inevitable departure caused unrest for most of that season, but as you say I am finding excuses for my prejudices, how can I possibly defend my opinions by advancing my reasons when you have already invoked that arguement?

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Dale White wrote:I don't think Villa will sack Lambert and if they did I reckon he'd get another prem gig because Villa have hardly backed him in the market. The Muamba thing didn't cost Bolton relegation, Great Effort by OEE to stick up for his man though. :mrgreen:

Busted! :D

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:28 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Im really surprised by the stats youve posted on Muamba. Fair Play, Im very surprised.

You often hold me up to account for opinions I express, which is fair enough. Its a discussion board. I hadnt looked into the stats in the forensic way you have to prove your point though.

I occasionally look things up and find that the stats don't support my argument. In that case, I just don't mention them and quietly drop it :wink: soccerbase.com and the like make it pretty painless to look these things up tbf.

I could throw in the fact that the saga of their best player Gary Cahill's inevitable departure caused unrest for most of that season, but as you say I am finding excuses for my prejudices, how can I possibly defend my opinions by advancing my reasons when you have already invoked that arguement?

Cahill's departure sounds like a more plausible factor in their relegation, especially if his head had been turned in the summer (I think he was expected to go in the August window, wasn't he?) Then again, a good manager should be able to deal with this and if Coyle can't deal with his best players being unsettled and then sold, he really isn't a good choice for LUFC!

If the reasons stand up, of course you can use them. I can hardly complain about that! It seems unlikely that you'll be able to defend every criticism of each of your sacred cows mind. My own version is Simon Grayson, who I've generally defended to the hilt. I have to concede some things though, like his repeated failure to sort out our defence. Like I said, it's just an observation.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:59 pm

Cheers Gaz, thats a very fair post. Thanks.

PS love the soccerbase site.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Was talking to a Villa fan at work today. He didn't reckon they had a problem with Lambert; much, much more pissed off about Lerner selling Young / Barry / Milner / Downing and doing shit by way of replacement. Which is not, of course, to say that Lambert won't still be sacked.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:47 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Was talking to a Villa fan at work today. He didn't reckon they had a problem with Lambert; much, much more pissed off about Lerner selling Young / Barry / Milner / Downing and doing shit by way of replacement. Which is not, of course, to say that Lambert won't still be sacked.

Deja vu? :scratch:

Was talking to a Leeds fan at work today. He didn't reckon they had a problem with Grayson; much, much more pissed off about Bates selling Gradel / Howson / Snodgrass / Delph and doing shit by way of replacement. Which is not, of course, to say that Grayson won't still be sacked.

Return to “The Square Ball”