Mickey Apples Appreciation Thread aka The Sack Race

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Fax Man

Re: The Sack Race

Postby Fax Man » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:57 pm

David Flitcroft just confirmed as Barnsley manager.

Duke Weyland

Postby Duke Weyland » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Blackwhite wrote:It's stunned me that reading that, my first thought was that it was unfair on Terribles, as he had genuinely looked like he hadn't known what he was getting into, and was working it out in gum-baring detail on the touchline. This fucker is starting to look like he has quit already.

That was the way i saw it with Venables. He had his public tantrum when we sold Woodgate and then downed tools. He didn't want to walk as he'd lose his pay off, so just sat back and let us free fall. It was a dire situation but his handling of it when he still had a decent squad was pathetic. There isn't a doubt in my mind if he had stayed we would have gone down that season. Peter Reid vastly improved us. That is how shit Venables was. Still the worst Leeds manager in my time watching us.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Duke Weyland wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:It's stunned me that reading that, my first thought was that it was unfair on Terribles, as he had genuinely looked like he hadn't known what he was getting into, and was working it out in gum-baring detail on the touchline. This fucker is starting to look like he has quit already.

That was the way i saw it with Venables. He had his public tantrum when we sold Woodgate and then downed tools. He didn't want to walk as he'd lose his pay off, so just sat back and let us free fall. It was a dire situation but his handling of it when he still had a decent squad was pathetic. There isn't a doubt in my mind if he had stayed we would have gone down that season. Peter Reid vastly improved us. That is how shit Venables was. Still the worst Leeds manager in my time watching us.

the thing i remember about venables was that the players seemed to enjoy his training but when it came to match day they didn't know what they were supposed to be doing - his tactics were too complicated for us lot. the results backed this up - we started the season excellently and then when his influence grew we grew increasingly flaccid as a team. we still had a decent team back then, except for el-tel's own paddy kenny; nick barmby who was never much good.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Duke Weyland

Postby Duke Weyland » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Barmby may have been poor, but i remember Paul Okon being horrific. Leeds United midfield class of 2013 horrific.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Duke Weyland wrote:Barmby may have been poor, but i remember Paul Okon being horrific. Leeds United midfield class of 2013 horrific.

good call. i waited for him to show signs that his reputation as a tough tackling midfielder who then passed with panache was deserved.

and i waited and i waited and waited. and only this slow aussie pudding kept showing up.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:53 am

So obviously, after catching up with who's sacked who and who's resigned from who to takeover at who, the leftover result is Brizzle and O'Driscoll.

Bristol City have appointed Sean O'Driscoll as their new manager, less than three weeks after his controversial departure from Nottingham Forest.

The 52-year-old has returned to the Championship to take charge of a side that has won only six times this season and is six points adrift of safety.

So, piece of piss really Sean.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

the glory years

Postby the glory years » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:14 pm

WE need Di Canio in NOW

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:25 pm

the glory years wrote:WE need Di Canio in NOW

:lol: :lol: :lol:

no.

the glory years

Postby the glory years » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:26 pm

gazurtoids wrote:

no.

Why not then ? And who ?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm

I'd be okay with Di Canio actually. From following his progress at Swindon, I think it's obvious that his staff know how to get a team playing football. However, my biggest concern would be his anger issues. In football you don't always get the results, decisions or performances you want and although I understand that many of the best managers have a temper, Di Canio seemingly flies off the handle on a near daily basis. He gets so wound up in interviews that I'd imagine playing under him must be terrifying. On the one hand, it's hard to argue with results. On the other, can he weather a series of bad performances or would he end up doing something criminal?

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't be a boring choice. Far from it.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:09 pm

tommydski wrote:I'd be okay with Di Canio actually. From following his progress at Swindon, I think it's obvious that his staff know how to get a team playing football. However, my biggest concern would be his anger issues. In football you don't always get the results, decisions or performances you want and although I understand that many of the best managers have a temper, Di Canio seemingly flies off the handle on a near daily basis. He gets so wound up in interviews that I'd imagine playing under him must be terrifying. On the one hand, it's hard to argue with results. On the other, can he weather a series of bad performances or would he end up doing something criminal?

One thing is for sure, he wouldn't be a boring choice. Far from it.

Not for me, too much of a circus. I'd also be way too concerned with him pissing off certain players - in the lower leagues, you can largely replace anyone for next to nowt. At this level and above, you're going to need a budget of a few million put aside for replacing players who didn't need replacing thanks to your manager. I suppose this could replace our annual legal fees budget leaving us about cost neutral?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 pm

That's a very fair comment. I keep writing him off because of his temper but I have to admit that he keeps surprising me. I assumed that he wouldn't be able to get Swindon motoring in the Championship but they look fairly secure in the top six and are arguably the form team. I always get the sense that he's a couple of losses away from an irrecoverable meltdown but it still hasn't happened. It's a reasonable shout that Swindon could be promoted again this season.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:48 pm

the glory years wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:

no.

Why not then ?

Dunno, really.

the glory years

Postby the glory years » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:52 pm

Is that it ? Really ?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:56 pm

the glory years wrote:Is that it ? Really ?

It's enough for me. Christ knows, we've had enough cunts associated with this club over the years.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:57 pm

the glory years wrote:Is that it ? Really ?

The Glory Years.......... 1939-45 by any chance?

Lucas1979

Postby Lucas1979 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:00 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Dean Saunders is the new Wolves manager - Jesus fucking Christ :lol:

Apparently 8 year old has applied for the Doncaster Rovers job and Sky are going to interview him :mrgreen:
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm

the glory years wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:

no.

Why not then ? And who ?

Chris Powell Charlton done a decent job.
Uwe Rosner Brentford doing a decent job.
Micky AdamsPort Vale doing a good job and I always rated him as a manager.
Forza Leeds Utd

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:05 pm

Call me controversial but Billy Davies is available.

:elephant: OUT.

ARDS

Postby ARDS » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:07 pm

AndyPaul wrote:Call me controversial but Billy Davies is available.

:elephant: OUT.

No would like a new broom but if we go for experience :roll: above go for Micky Adams.
Forza Leeds Utd

Return to “The Square Ball”