Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:26 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Is she selling goes on those baps?

Edit: she's taken them away the minx. Post gone.

Piggy, go bring them back.

I know you folks were missing them
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:13 am

The fucked up lift muzak weirdscape of Oneohtrix Point Never’s last album is floating my boat at the minute. This video is done by the directors of Uncut Gems and it gets the dystopian vibe just right. Fun side note: it was originally banned because the video on the youth’s phone was a genuine Russian snuff movie, so they’ve blurred it out now.

Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:23 am

eric olthwaite wrote:The fucked up lift muzak weirdscape of Oneohtrix Point Never’s last album

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:01 pm

Toyah's back. Extremely vigorous dance in this clip, her vocals suffer as a result.

https://fb.watch/37YneGJV3y/

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:16 pm

the flying pig wrote:Toyah's back. Extremely vigorous dance in this clip, her vocals suffer as a result.

https://fb.watch/37YneGJV3y/

Her vocals don't suffer. Get it right, everyone's ears fucking suffer.

I've seen her live at a Butlins 80's revival weekend. I tried, but you just can't make a piss-break last long enough: she was still there stinking up the place when I left the gents.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:28 pm

Matt White wrote:a Butlins 80's revival weekend.

I'm struggling to think of something that appeals to me less and all that occurs is sexual congress with Anne Widdecombe.

I hope it was worth it! (The weekend I mean, unless you've shafted Anne.)

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Matt White wrote:a Butlins 80's revival weekend.

I'm struggling to think of something that appeals to me less and all that occurs is sexual congress with Anne Widdecombe.

I hope it was worth it! (The weekend I mean, unless you've shafted Anne.)

It's a thinly-veiled excuse to get away with the chaps and pretend we've still got it (we haven't). The music is mostly a sideshow and an enabler for drinking and what have you. There is the occaasional good act (Suede, ABC, Heaven 17 if you like that sort of thing) among the tributes and reformed horrorshows.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:57 pm

Heaven 17 were the highlight of that era for me. Not saying I like them, but y'know... I mean, they're no Del Amitri...

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:47 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I can't stand Sleaford Mods, I have to admit. For a chap of my advanced years they seem horribly derivative. And back in the day, that banal shouty shit seemed to be most often associated with questionable right-wing politics, whereas your more interesting anarcho-leftists were often also a bit more interesting musically, like Crass, or the punk-soul-funk of The Redskins. I'm sure their hearts are in the right place, but they're only getting away with because the political music scene is so fucking weak generally. Give me Lowkey any day.

OK. I think I'm prepared to amend my position to: I'm still not sure they're for me overall, but the occasional track is a banger.

Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:53 pm

Interesting series on the Beeb & iPlayer: Hip Hop: Songs That Shook America.

It’s a detailed dive into the writing and production of half a dozen significant hip hop songs; probably only for folk with an interest in the material, but it’s really well put together.
Member of a clique

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:45 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Interesting series on the Beeb & iPlayer: Hip Hop: Songs That Shook America.

It’s a detailed dive into the writing and production of half a dozen significant hip hop songs; probably only for folk with an interest in the material, but it’s really well put together.

Was this on it?

"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:15 pm

The Madlib album with Four Tet is very good by the way for anyone who hasn't yet. Not long enough to scratch the itches it induces, but nothing overstays... there'll be some great work done with it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:03 pm

Blackwhite wrote:The Madlib album with Four Tet is very good by the way for anyone who hasn't yet. Not long enough to scratch the itches it induces, but nothing overstays... there'll be some great work done with it.

Missed this, ta. Been listening to the last Four Tet one lately, he’s been a busy bunny during lockdown.
Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:13 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Interesting series on the Beeb & iPlayer: Hip Hop: Songs That Shook America.

One side discovery on this: a bunch of beat samples that got used all over the place in early hip-hop came from this. Music for our times and all that.

Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:49 am

Observation for Prof really:

Just idly half listening in to Sunday Brunch and a female singer I’d not heard of, but she was saying that there’s basically no female studio engineers and less than a handful of successful female producers - the most successful of which is probably Missy Elliott. Last bastion of the male tech geek maybe?
Member of a clique

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:59 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Observation for Prof really:

Just idly half listening in to Sunday Brunch and a female singer I’d not heard of, but she was saying that there’s basically no female studio engineers and less than a handful of successful female producers - the most successful of which is probably Missy Elliott. Last bastion of the male tech geek maybe?

Yeah, it's a real shame. There are some female engineers, including a few very successful mastering engineers (my job) -- Emily Lazar, Heba Kadry and Mandy Parnell off the top of my head -- but it is still obscenely imbalanced.

It's changing, but at a glacial pace. In the last 5 or 10 years I have noticed a steady increase in the amount of female engineers working in live sound (pre pandemic, obviously), and these people often cross over to the studio, so I'm tentatively hopeful. Although whether there will be jobs for anyone in live sound any time soon is another matter.

I think the democratisation of infomation will probably help in some ways (Youtube etc) but, equally, a lot of those videos are full of bullshit and most of the online spaces for discussing this stuff are heavily masculine: it sounds ridiculous typing it out but the largest pro audio forum on the internet is called 'Gearslutz'. They finally agreed to change their name a few weeks ago so there is clearly some recognition that things need to change, but it shouldn't be taking this long.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:35 pm

Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:
the flying pig wrote:
Still Hates Gordon Watson wrote:...Suede ‘The Drowners’...

not one of their best, that?

I didn't at all like suede at the time, I suppose part of this was that in my mid-late teens I was still trying to be quite macho or something (couldn't convincingly pull it off, obviously), so couldn't bring myself to like a band fronted by a scrawny, mincing, southerner, whose album had a seemingly very gay kiss on the front.

but, I suppose as they got less popular and I suppose less good (after butler left) I started to see the error of my ways, I also think Anderson is a really interesting chap.

Now, I didn’t say it was their best single (or one of them) - I said it was a great debut single. Coming as a reaction to the early 90s grunge scene, it was fantastically refreshing to 16 year old, definitely not macho me....

on a whim i recently read Brett Anderson's autobiog.

i liked it, he's gone up in my estimations.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:01 am

Walked into the kitchen earlier this morning and Mrs WW had the radio on.
I'm not sure if she realised how joyous it was for me to hear the first song of the day to be 'No more lonely nights' by the legend that is Sir Paul.

Classic!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:36 am

You know that thing when some random link* sends you back into listening to something you used to listen to years back? I'm doing The Orb again at the minute.

Struck me that there's something fabulously neoliberal in the idea that music which was originally conceived as a post-rave comedown soundtrack is now something I need to put me in a mindset to tolerate working from home.

*Aforementioned random link:

Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:04 pm

Funny you should mention them, the third disc of the extended release popped up during some exercise a week or so ago. Remixes I rarely listen to.

The other that keeps popping in (guess I played them a lot?) is the Massive Attack singles remix box set. Some good shit in there.

E2A KLF's Chill Out playing now while I concentrate.

Return to “The Square Ball”