Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Tycipa

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Tycipa » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:29 am

Given that they’d worked on their act for a couple of years before their debut single and consequently released the best they had and notwithstanding it was a commercial rather than artistic move but a single that says, hello, this is us, we’re here to stay, you can’t ignore us and you can’t stop this tune staying in your head (oh, and the video was genius too) and they introduced a word no had ever heard and a youth ‘movement’ for girls...with their debut single.
Instantly recognisable, you know the song title and the bands name. You’ll possibly even relate it to a time or event in your life. Yes I know the hipsters will piff and paff and all their suggestions have merit but the only thing I can say is zigazig ah.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:43 am

Tommy wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:24-Hour Party People

Another Mondays related misconception I commonly encounter is not knowing the John Kongos original version of 'Step On'.

I knew this because, by odd coincidence, at the time the Mondays version was in the charts there was another version doing the rounds by some Status Quo offshoot - maybe just the bass player and drummer?

That was bad. Really bad.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:58 pm

Tycipa wrote:Given that they’d worked on their act for a couple of years before their debut single and consequently released the best they had and notwithstanding it was a commercial rather than artistic move but a single that says, hello, this is us, we’re here to stay, you can’t ignore us and you can’t stop this tune staying in your head (oh, and the video was genius too) and they introduced a word no had ever heard and a youth ‘movement’ for girls...with their debut single.
Instantly recognisable, you know the song title and the bands name. You’ll possibly even relate it to a time or event in your life. Yes I know the hipsters will piff and paff and all their suggestions have merit but the only thing I can say is zigazig ah.

You came back to tell us you love The Spice Girls? :mrgreen:
I'm impressed.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:41 pm

He’s right though. If you take the notion of pop music at face value, it’s a pretty flawless example.
Member of a clique

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Tommy wrote:

Another Mondays related misconception I commonly encounter is not knowing the John Kongos original version of 'Step On'.

The John Kongos song comes up on the next chart podcast I record with my brother on Wednesday nights. We’re doing an Australian chart and it was top 5 in 1971. Never was a hit here, so I wasn’t familiar with it. Listened to it last night while researching. Good shit.

So strange it came up here and today.
"The supporters, the only thing to them is that they love their club.
The only thing the receive in exchange is emotions.
For this reason, the supporter is the best thing in football." - Marcelo Bielsa

Bnimble

Postby Bnimble » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Terre Harte II wrote:
Tommy wrote:

The John Kongos song comes up on the next chart podcast I record with my brother on Wednesday nights. We’re doing an Australian chart and it was top 5 in 1971. Never was a hit here, so I wasn’t familiar with it. Listened to it last night while researching. Good shit.

So strange it came up here and today.

Agreed Terre. It’s a very good tune.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Sorry

Not sorry

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

JohnGiles

Postby JohnGiles » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Sorry

Not sorry

Bertha

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:19 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
the flying pig wrote:
Bobbycollins wrote:I thought New Rose by The Damned was an excellent debut single.

mhm.

what are my favourites? though i don't like their stuff much on the whole, oasis 'supersonic' was good & stands up pretty well even now as an engaging period piece. i suppose i'll always have a soft spot for arctic monkeys 'i bet you look good on the dancefloor'. 'anarchy in the uk' is one of the 'official correct answers' to this question, right?

You could get lost forever in this sort of thing, but I suppose stuff like Gangsters, Girls on Film, (We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing, jumps immediately to mind. I s'pose I'd argue that Duran Duran (IMO, obviously) never came up with anything else quite as pitch perfect afterwards.

Relax of course, that was an absolute show-stopper.

Planet Earth was DDs debut single, no?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:28 pm

Gah - catastrophic fail
Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:01 am

Was just reading an interview with Marc Mac from Reinforced/4Hero, and he says this:

Never heard of this magazine.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:32 am

There has never been a magazine called 'Black Echoes'.
There was, however, a weekly newspaper called 'Black Echoes', which started in 1976. I bought the first issue [and every one afterwards].
Until about 1981/82, it remained 'Black Echoes' but [I am told by those who were there at the time] they encountered a fair bit of racism and other kinds of muddled thinking from major record label marketing types - apparently black people didn't have any money and so weren't worth pursuing as a source of income, and who bought soul, funk and reggae but black people, eh? Sorry, The O'Jays and Bob Marley are where in the charts? - and, having tried hundreds of times to explain the truth of the situation, said newspaper decided to change its name to just 'Echoes' [because most people called it that by then anyway and marketing types were really that stupid/easily fooled].
'Echoes' continued to cover exactly the same music as it always did - black music - and when I became editor and we changed it to be an actual magazine - Jan 2000 - I immediately added the strapline under the logo 'The UK's Essential Black Music Monthly'.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:00 pm

AONIP I was pleased to discover that RZA had written an ice cream van jingle

Member of a clique

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:56 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:AONIP I was pleased to discover that RZA had written an ice cream van jingle

I googled AONIP - nothing.
Sometimes I feel like people are making shit up just to make me feel old.
Then I figure its probably a typo, but still no idea what was meant.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:I googled AONIP - nothing.
Sometimes I feel like people are making shit up just to make me feel old.
Then I figure its probably a typo, but still no idea what was meant.

Apropos of nothing in particular

Sorry

Coat
Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Seeing as Wayne County is trending everywhere:

Member of a clique

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:37 pm

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Thought you might have gone with the Mr Bean version :mrgreen:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:46 am

There's a thing (which is interesting in its own right) called British Culture Archive which is an attempt to form a library of cultural history through documentary photography.

Anyway, the people who do it just posted their office Spotify playlist and I suspect that if you're of a certain age - ie about my age - you'll find it a ruddy marvel. Just chucked it on shuffle, straight in with Shack Up, then It's Different for Girls.

Splendid.
Member of a clique

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:19 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:There's a thing (which is interesting in its own right) called British Culture Archive which is an attempt to form a library of cultural history through documentary photography.

Anyway, the people who do it just posted their office Spotify playlist and I suspect that if you're of a certain age - ie about my age - you'll find it a ruddy marvel. Just chucked it on shuffle, straight in with Shack Up, then It's Different for Girls.

Splendid.

Yeah, very decent. Lots of stuff I like. I see there's an O'Jays fan in the office, and also a reggae bod.
Interestingly SAULT pops up twice on that list. Getting a fair few nods from the hipsters in my world at the mo'. Imo, they're OK but tend to fill their albums with two-minute ideas not fully thought through or taken where they might go. Eighteen short tracks when nine or 10 really good pieces would have worked better. Youngsters, eh?

Return to “The Square Ball”