Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: Dirty Music

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
:lol: Bohemian Rhapsody is at 46.

:mrgreen: That's where skim reading gets you.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
the flying pig wrote:fun gruan list, i defy anyone halfway human not to very much like a dozen, maybe two, of these.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... t-uk-no-1s

Yeah, although some of the write up on Marvin's Grapevine is just plain wrong:

"Here, Gaye would establish himself as the bad boy of Motown, both a figurehead for rising anti-Vietnam sentiment and archetype of the socially conscious songwriter... With I Heard It Through the Grapevine, we find him stepping out into his independence, all potential buoyed on by the force of his first creation."

Except... he didn't write it and he didn't produce it - that was Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong [writers] and Whitfield alone [producer]. Far from 'stepping out into his independence', it's actually a prime example of the Motown way of doing things up to that point - producer/writer pushing company's leading solo vocalist in a direction that suited his ideas on sound. Whitfield's production is absolutely the key, not only the great music track but the way he pushed Marvin to his upper limits, vocally. It had nothing to do with being 'the bad boy of Motown', nor was Marvin a 'figurehead for rising anti-Vietnam sentiment' at this stage of his career. That came three years later. So, apart from getting just about everything wrong, that's a fine bit of work.

I Knew all that just from being a fan, and therefore reading articles and books on the subject. Makes you wonder about music writers :wink:. But seriously it's a little contemptuous of your audience to just chuck this stuff together and publish it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:I only got as far as Double Barrel then fell down a sunny musical hole.

Yes also found that one right away. :D

I was expecting to simi in mi Benz an'ting as well, and wasn't disappointed.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm

1. Music journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.
2. Writing about music is like dancing about architecture.

I think we all know the origin of this pithy slice of truth.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Eddies Boots wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:I only got as far as Double Barrel then fell down a sunny musical hole.

Yes also found that one right away. :D

I was expecting to simi in mi Benz an'ting as well, and wasn't disappointed.

i was slightly suprised by that one but, yeah, it's good.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 4:24 pm

Love the original and loved those two at the time.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Mustafaster wrote:1. Music journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.

Pretty sure I’ve come across people dancing about architecture and it was quite interesting, if that’s your bag.

Stupid quote though, really. Denying the concept of written criticism is a bit silly.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Fri May 29, 2020 6:08 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:1. Music journalism is people who can't write, interviewing people who can't talk, for people who can't read.

Pretty sure I’ve come across people dancing about architecture and it was quite interesting, if that’s your bag.

Stupid quote though, really. Denying the concept of written criticism is a bit silly.

Frank Zappa, being a bit silly? Surely not.

(I'm pretty sure that quote is misattributed, anyway)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:Frank Zappa, being a bit silly? Surely not.

Someone should start a poll - Is Frank Zappa a cunt? :mrgreen:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 29, 2020 6:46 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

100%.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 7:08 pm

I doubt if many people have listened to Zappa long enough to make a conclusion whether he's a cunt or not. I know I haven't got past over a minute of anything he's done.

It all sound to me as though there's about 15 or more musicians having a bit of a jam and none of them knows where it's going. All thrown in a big food blender type of thing.
Sort of listening to an Orchestra having a bit of a fuck about at 3am after the Drummers big stag night out.

Some people probably like that type of stuff - Each to their own :thumbl:

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Fri May 29, 2020 7:35 pm

Sure, Mr D McManus, wasn't it

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Fri May 29, 2020 7:37 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

He comes across as a condescending know all cynical snobby muso cunt to me. So I'm on the fence I guess

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 7:41 pm

Matt White wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:

He comes across as a condescending know all cynical snobby muso cunt to me. So I'm on the fence I guess

How dare you! Oh, you mean Frank.

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri May 29, 2020 7:42 pm

welshwhite wrote:I doubt if many people have listened to Zappa long enough to make a conclusion whether he's a cunt or not. I know I haven't got past over a minute of anything he's done.

It all sound to me as though there's about 15 or more musicians having a bit of a jam and none of them knows where it's going. All thrown in a big food blender type of thing.
Sort of listening to an Orchestra having a bit of a fuck about at 3am after the Drummers big stag night out.

Peaches En Regalia is the piece of music Tom Jones, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Super Furry Animals etc would have wished they had the ability to write and play. The Welsh should stick to songs about pots and pans :thumbl:

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Fri May 29, 2020 8:04 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:
welshwhite wrote:I doubt if many people have listened to Zappa long enough to make a conclusion whether he's a cunt or not. I know I haven't got past over a minute of anything he's done.

Peaches En Regalia is the piece of music Tom Jones, Manic Street Preachers, Stereophonics, Super Furry Animals etc would have wished they had the ability to write and play. The Welsh should stick to songs about pots and pans :thumbl:

You forgot about the Alarm.

I suppose we all did :pirate:
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 29, 2020 8:09 pm

Bobbycollins wrote:

Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were pretty decent tbf.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Fri May 29, 2020 8:17 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
How dare you! Oh, you mean Frank.

:P When I know you better I can judge better

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 29, 2020 9:24 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Gorky's Zygotic Mynci were pretty decent tbf.

fuck, there's an overlap in my music taste and musta's. this should feel good, shouldn't it? :shock: :scratch: :mrgreen:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 29, 2020 9:35 pm

I know he was more Robin than Batman in terms of his role, but John Cale was Welsh and the velvets were, uh, a good band.

Return to “The Square Ball”