Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 11, 2020 7:36 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon May 11, 2020 10:06 pm

You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue May 12, 2020 8:36 am

Given that all but a couple of bands are from DC (and those not are in neighbouring Maryland), it's absurd how many great albums have been released on that label. Admittedly it's all rock music but the number of extraordinary bands is still remarkable. I have most of those albums but will check out the handful that I've never heard.

I didn't realise that Ian Mackaye and Joe Lally had formed a band called Coriky without the Rites of Spring members of Fugazi. Their debut album is out soon.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed May 13, 2020 5:30 pm

70 today.
Happy birthday to ya.

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 14, 2020 7:48 pm

For any other interested heads

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 22, 2020 1:08 pm

Filthy dirty sludgy and blues as fuck that has aged extremely well. Been years since I listened to this whole album.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 pm

Dirty, how come you never told me about Darondo?

Deriliction of duty I tells thee

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 22, 2020 4:30 pm

i've seen that darondo lad linked before by one of my favourite songwriters gerry love of teenage fanclub. if it's good enough for him then....

this virus thing means my summer holiday camping in the shadow of alpe d'huez is highly unlikely, so in need of a french injection i just got this one that radio 6 have been playing a fair bit.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 8:49 am

Well, you live and learn

HM Collector Of Parcels

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 29, 2020 9:44 am

fun gruan list, i defy anyone halfway human not to very much like a dozen, maybe two, of these.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/ ... t-uk-no-1s

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 10:35 am

the flying pig wrote:fun gruan list, i defy anyone halfway human not to very much like a dozen, maybe two, of these.

Yeah, although some of the write up on Marvin's Grapevine is just plain wrong:

"Here, Gaye would establish himself as the bad boy of Motown, both a figurehead for rising anti-Vietnam sentiment and archetype of the socially conscious songwriter... With I Heard It Through the Grapevine, we find him stepping out into his independence, all potential buoyed on by the force of his first creation."

Except... he didn't write it and he didn't produce it - that was Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong [writers] and Whitfield alone [producer]. Far from 'stepping out into his independence', it's actually a prime example of the Motown way of doing things up to that point - producer/writer pushing company's leading solo vocalist in a direction that suited his ideas on sound. Whitfield's production is absolutely the key, not only the great music track but the way he pushed Marvin to his upper limits, vocally. It had nothing to do with being 'the bad boy of Motown', nor was Marvin a 'figurehead for rising anti-Vietnam sentiment' at this stage of his career. That came three years later. So, apart from getting just about everything wrong, that's a fine bit of work.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri May 29, 2020 10:45 am

dirty leeds wrote:Yeah, although some of the write up on Marvin's Grapevine is just plain wrong:

Yeah - they didn’t even mention it was written by Jeff Lynn.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 11:23 am

If ever I need to find Dirty quickly I say something factually wrong about Marvin.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 11:47 am

Blackwhite wrote:If ever I need to find Dirty quickly I say something factually wrong about Marvin.

:mrgreen:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 29, 2020 11:47 am

Jazz Cafe launching crowdfunding campaign to save themselves: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-the- ... 4b59fd5559

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 29, 2020 12:02 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Jazz Cafe launching crowdfunding campaign to save themselves: https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/save-the- ... 4b59fd5559

good stuff, though i certainly don't buy that commercial [or indeed any] landlords should, uniquely amongst businesses, be held harmless to all of this... i wonder if stuff like this will go some way towards ensuring that htey are?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 29, 2020 1:14 pm

the flying pig wrote:fun gruan list, i defy anyone halfway human not to very much like a dozen, maybe two, of these.

I guess it shows that the nature of number ones often tends towards the beige a little, doesn't it? Populism in action. Pleasantly surprised to be reminded that 3am Eternal made it to no.1.

Top five is missing? Be disappointed if Ghost Town wasn't there, and depressed that Bohemian Rhapsody will be.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri May 29, 2020 3:30 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:

I guess it shows that the nature of number ones often tends towards the beige a little, doesn't it? Populism in action. Pleasantly surprised to be reminded that 3am Eternal made it to no.1.

Top five is missing? Be disappointed if Ghost Town wasn't there, and depressed that Bohemian Rhapsody will be.

:lol: Bohemian Rhapsody is at 46.

Another example of local pop culture lost on me - there are 13 bands there I have never heard of and another 10 where i have heard of the artist, but do not know the song.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 29, 2020 3:35 pm

I only got as far as Double Barrel then fell down a sunny musical hole.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri May 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I only got as far as Double Barrel then fell down a sunny musical hole.

Yes also found that one right away. :D

Return to “The Square Ball”