Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Ah T., man... Is a good job you dug the joke out there. I dunno what Devi was thinking.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Devi

Postby Devi » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:06 pm

:lol:
I like it. What is it?

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:21 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Ah T., man... Is a good job you dug the joke out there. I dunno what Devi was thinking.

I’m expecting JohnGiles to come along soon and post...

Smegma
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:51 am

Mustafaster wrote:In these dark times music is a saviour.
As Mary Anne Hobbs would say, big shout out to the sisters coming down the track at ya from the 60s.

One of those bands broadly regarded as a bit of a joke at the time that have become massively influential, though often through intermediary bands (pretty much all of K Records). I'm always interested in acts like Death and Donnie and Joe Emerson who were thoroughly obscure in their day but ultimately seem like visionaries with hindsight. Whilst the above have all seen a belated critical reappraisal, I've often wondered why the same hasn't happened to the same degree for the all female, multiracial, predominantly queer LA band Fanny, who absolutely nobody seems to remember and seemingly nobody gave a toss about in their day but now seem like the spiritual forebearers of so many contemporary bands.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:04 am

Tommy wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:In these dark times music is a saviour.
As Mary Anne Hobbs would say, big shout out to the sisters coming down the track at ya from the 60s.

One of those bands broadly regarded as a bit of a joke at the time that have become massively influential, though often through intermediary bands (pretty much all of K Records). I'm always interested in acts like Death and Donnie and Joe Emerson who were thoroughly obscure in their day but ultimately seem like visionaries with hindsight. Whilst the above have all seen a belated critical reappraisal, I've often wondered why the same hasn't happened to the same degree for the all female, multiracial, predominantly queer LA band Fanny, who absolutely nobody seems to remember and seemingly nobody gave a toss about in their day but now seem like the spiritual forebearers of so many contemporary bands.

They were a pretty decent rock band, especially the guitarist.
I think they didn't make many waves because what they were doing was totally mainstream, and there were hundreds of bands doing that just as well or better. Lots of multi racial bands around by that time, also. The only USP was the fact that they were all women, and mebbe that wasn't quite enough to push them into the top rank.
The Shaggs on the other hand...
At first listening it sounds like utter chaos, and up to a point it is. The tuning is all over the place and they can barely play.
But if you manage to get past that you realise they knew exactly what they were doing. A bit like when you hear some Zappa and you think it's all improvised until you realise that the guitar, marimba and saxophone are doing exactly the same thing, but a third and fifth apart.
Here's an example. This piece is a bit like something Stravinsky would have written until 4:26, when what at first seems like an improvised section starts.

It's not improvised.
Thing about The Shaggs is that they had heard almost no music growing up. Their father was a control-freak monster. He decided to take them out of school and make them into a rock band.
So they had nobody to copy and couldn't really play.
The eldest sister wrote all the stuff.
On the Halloween song the girls are singing in exact unison and the "lead " guitar follows the voices. And the utterly bizarre drums, that follow errr ... nothing.
It's not just thrashing around wildly although it seems like it at first.

Three teenage girls, they recorded the entire album in one day!
It's impossible to cover any of the songs, you just can't do it.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Munson

Postby Munson » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 am

I like fanny.

Shaggs too.

There I said it.

Coat.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:35 am

Mustafaster wrote:I think they didn't make many waves because what they were doing was totally mainstream

They had the misfortune of being 'discovered' by Richard Perry, who has no conception of how to produce a rock band. If they'd been able to record with a more sympathetic producer I reckon it would have suited them.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:55 pm

Munson wrote:I like fanny.

Shaggs too.

There I said it.

Coat.

You might like this, then:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:40 pm

Tommy wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:I think they didn't make many waves because what they were doing was totally mainstream

They had the misfortune of being 'discovered' by Richard Perry, who has no conception of how to produce a rock band. If they'd been able to record with a more sympathetic producer I reckon it would have suited them.

Didn't know that.
You're right, he's a great pop producer but clueless about rock music, should have somebody like Rundgren producing.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:34 pm

By the by, but a journalist once said to the architect Mies van der Rohe, 'Your work isn't very interesting', to which Mies replied, 'I don't want it to be interesting, I want it to be good'. Some time later, Alison and Peter Smithson, who produced work which was influenced by Mies, said that they'd rather be interesting than good.

In terms of the creative dichotomy, I think your Shaggs bunch are definitely trying for the 'interesting' option.
HM Collector Of Parcels

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:53 pm

Yep.

Munson

Postby Munson » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:55 am

Cheers Dirty, I did enjoy that. And wise words I think we could all learn from and live by.

Must admit, initially, i thought it sounded like that gravely voice was the late Bobby W, but Google tells me he had nowt to do with it.

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:27 pm

Locked down. Nuff said
For every step,the footprint was already there.

barry white

Postby barry white » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 am

barry white

Postby barry white » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:27 am

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Here's a little clip of Brett getting his Phil Collins fix during lockdown.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Just started a new podcast, The 27 Club. You can imagine what it's about. The first 'season' is about Hendrix. The first episode is titled "Jimi Hendrix and a forgotten heroin stash, a very drunk Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin saves the day".

The latter part of this, seemingly, is Joplin smashing The Lizard King over the heed with a bottle of Jack after he tells Hendrix he wants to suck his cock, live on stage!

Never been into Hendrix but this is some really interesting stuff! 11 episodes released at the moment.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:04 pm

FER wrote:Never been into Hendrix

Ok, I'll bite. WHAT?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:13 pm

True. I've never really listened to any of his stuff, so it's never been in my consciousness. The only time I really listened / saw was his set @ Woodstock and that wasn't really the best introduction, I don't think.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:22 pm

Dive right in and chronologically give it all a whirl. Immense figure for me. Would love to know what he'd have made for the second half of his career, still dying crazy early if you wanna, Jimi...

Return to “The Square Ball”