Oheddieeddie

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:40 am

Bloody Norah!

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:15 pm

Good one, Welsh.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:25 pm

JGW!
Happy birthday.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 pm

Don’t know if there are many vinyl enthusiasts on here but this is going to cause huge issues with getting new releases pressed. Now only one plant in the whole world (in Japan) producing the lacquers that most (non DMM) vinyl masters need.

Will likely be years, if ever, before capacity returns to pre-disaster levels.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content/ma ... uers-burns

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:01 am

Professor Weeto wrote:Don’t know if there are many vinyl enthusiasts on here but this is going to cause huge issues with getting new releases pressed. Now only one plant in the whole world (in Japan) producing the lacquers that most (non DMM) vinyl masters need.

Further to this it turns out that the ‘plant’ in Japan is actually a practical one-man operation. Lots of people losing a lot of work in my sector right now due to this event, as there just aren’t enough lacquers around. Very sad, and not likely to be solved any time soon.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:28 am

I've not played any of my vinyl albums for many years, the sound of bacon frying makes me feel hungry.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:36 am

Professor Weeto wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:Don’t know if there are many vinyl enthusiasts on here but this is going to cause huge issues with getting new releases pressed. Now only one plant in the whole world (in Japan) producing the lacquers that most (non DMM) vinyl masters need.

Further to this it turns out that the ‘plant’ in Japan is actually a practical one-man operation. Lots of people losing a lot of work in my sector right now due to this event, as there just aren’t enough lacquers around. Very sad, and not likely to be solved any time soon.

Kinell.
Business opportunity there for somebody.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 am

Professor Weeto wrote:

A real shame. I was reading about this on a music forum I frequent and the industry folks who participate were really concerned about the impact.

The vinyl revival is predicated on mid-20th Century technology that wasn't preserved properly. I live in a town that was renowned for its record plant, but the press is long gone.

A lot of the institutional knowledge needed to create records is gone for good. Add that it's an old-school, heavy industrial process that isn't particularly environmentally friendly and it makes it even harder to create a new place to make the acetates. I suppose this could also provide the impetus for an entrepreneur to give it a whirl so the whole industry isn't predicated on a plant or two, but does it make enough money to even consider that?

Someone needs to get on a plane to Japan and at least find out what technology it takes to build lacquers. Of course, why would he want to provide anyone the chance to do that? Perhaps one of the big companies might buy him, and his technology, out to make the system work again?

This fire will clearly hurt the new market for vinyl, though the vinyl revival was partly based on seeking old records too. Obviously, that stock is all still out there. I was in a pretty good store on a work road trip today perusing the shelves.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:06 am

Terre Harte II wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:

A real shame. I was reading about this on a music forum I frequent and the industry folks who participate were really concerned about the impact.

The vinyl revival is predicated on mid-20th Century technology that wasn't preserved properly. I live in a town that was renowned for its record plant, but the press is long gone.

A lot of the institutional knowledge needed to create records is gone for good. Add that it's an old-school, heavy industrial process that isn't particularly environmentally friendly and it makes it even harder to create a new place to make the acetates. I suppose this could also provide the impetus for an entrepreneur to give it a whirl so the whole industry isn't predicated on a plant or two, but does it make enough money to even consider that?

Someone needs to get on a plane to Japan and at least find out what technology it takes to build lacquers. Of course, why would he want to provide anyone the chance to do that? Perhaps one of the big companies might buy him, and his technology, out to make the system work again?

This fire will clearly hurt the new market for vinyl, though the vinyl revival was partly based on seeking old records too. Obviously, that stock is all still out there. I was in a pretty good store on a work road trip today perusing the shelves.

I felt the same way when nobody could manufacture the gramophone horn anymore.

There was an old craftsman in Milan who continued producing them by hand well into his 90s. He could never produce enough to keep up with demand from the musical snobs who swore blind it was a purer sound than modern technology could ever hope to match. Eventually he passed away and no more horns.

Still, you can still pick up some old ones on eBay or gumtree. Not all new technology is bad.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:52 am

Comparing vinyl records to gramophone horns is like comparing an oil-painting to a child's drawing. Sure, neither is a photograph, but they offer very different levels of fidelity.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:54 am

Professor Weeto wrote:Comparing vinyl records to gramophone horns is like comparing an oil-painting to a child's drawing. Sure, neither is a photograph, but they offer very different levels of fidelity.

Woooooosh!

:mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:55 am

I would add that the largest and busiest pressing plant in the world, GZ Media in the Czech Republic, presses vinyl via a DMM (direct metal mastering) process which avoids the need for lacquers. GZ are pretty universally rebgarded as the bargain-bin option when it comes to pressing records, though - inconsistent quality control.

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 am

Vampire wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:Comparing vinyl records to gramophone horns is like comparing an oil-painting to a child's drawing. Sure, neither is a photograph, but they offer very different levels of fidelity.

Woooooosh!

I don't think I missed the point of your joke - you were taking the piss out of people who listen to vinyl, saying they should get with the times, right? Maybe it was something much cleverer that my dumb brain missed.

I don't buy vinyl myself, btw, but I master a lot of music for it and there are legitimate reasons why people prefer it. Most of those reasons are not sonic, but some are.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:05 am

Professor Weeto wrote:I don't buy vinyl myself, btw, but I master a lot of music for it and there are legitimate reasons why people prefer it. Most of those reasons are not sonic, but some are.

Yup. I don't bother with vinyl either. Had enough of it growing up - getting scratched, jumping, warping etc. I'm quite aware of the 'warmth of sound' thing, but the sound I get from lossless and avery nice Sonos speaker does me, ta. The album sleeves are still nice, obvs, but I also like the space in my house rather than it looking like a warehouse. I have a fuck of a lot of music.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:11 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:I have a fuck of a lot of music.

Yes, but is any of it any good?

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 am

Seems like I might have been partially taken in by Fake News:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:52 am

Professor Weeto wrote:Seems like I might have been partially taken in by Fake News:

Does that mean gramophone horns are still being produced?

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 am

I'm thinking of starting a sideline.

London_White

Postby London_White » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:36 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Professor Weeto wrote:I don't buy vinyl myself, btw, but I master a lot of music for it and there are legitimate reasons why people prefer it. Most of those reasons are not sonic, but some are.

Yup. I don't bother with vinyl either. Had enough of it growing up - getting scratched, jumping, warping etc. I'm quite aware of the 'warmth of sound' thing, but the sound I get from lossless and avery nice Sonos speaker does me, ta. The album sleeves are still nice, obvs, but I also like the space in my house rather than it looking like a warehouse. I have a fuck of a lot of music.

My vinyl collection doesn't make my house look like a warehouse, mostly because it's in a warehouse. Had to move it out of the house a few years ago as it was taking up a little too much room something like 6,000 albums and 12" singles and about 3,000 7", was a bit excessive but I just can't quite bring myself round to getting rid of it all. there's some rare stuff in there I'm sure but it's all well played and used so wouldn't get much for it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:07 pm

London_White wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:

My vinyl collection doesn't make my house look like a warehouse, mostly because it's in a warehouse. Had to move it out of the house a few years ago as it was taking up a little too much room something like 6,000 albums and 12" singles and about 3,000 7", was a bit excessive but I just can't quite bring myself round to getting rid of it all. there's some rare stuff in there I'm sure but it's all well played and used so wouldn't get much for it.

:D

Flogged all mine years ago. Since it was all soul and jazz, I took it to Soul Brother in Putney and got a decent amount. Wasted it on whores, of course.

Return to “The Square Ball”