Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:31 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Happily, Vamps isn't really aware of any of them. Well, he wasn't until he started googling after reading this.

I wonder whether the electro-disco cheese of Confidence Man would be more up his street?

Hmm, very Motowny, so he should do.

Not cheesy enough. He likes the Eurovision song contest, it'd have to be cheesier than the Man In The Moon's smegma.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:22 am

Blackwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Happily, Vamps isn't really aware of any of them. Well, he wasn't until he started googling after reading this.

I wonder whether the electro-disco cheese of Confidence Man would be more up his street?

Not cheesy enough. He likes the Eurovision song contest, it'd have to be cheesier than the Man In The Moon's smegma.

Funny how those who claim to be ignoring me have so much interest in my musical taste.

FWIW, and musical preference is purely a matter of subjective opinion, I have no interest in “soul- jazz- hip hop” - seems to be all my musical nightmares coming together.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:26 am

Couldn't care less about hip-hop, Vamps, but you don't like soul and jazz? Poor you. Anyway, what you drinking this fine Friday evening?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:35 am

dirty leeds wrote:Couldn't care less about hip-hop, Vamps, but you don't like soul and jazz? Poor you. Anyway, what you drinking this fine Friday evening?

It was 35 degrees here today - still 25 at 8.30 in the evening and not even Summer yet. So, rarely for me, I’m on a chilled Sauvignon Blanc from Margaret River.

Deserve it too - took the day off to oil my deck. Or, as a Kiwi would say, oil my dick!
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:54 pm

Mrs O took us to see Brand New Heavies tonight. Back in the day, the sort of band I wouldn’t object to but also wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to. Anyway, decent band but a bit of inadequate singer.

Felt like what you’d expect to see in the lounge on a reasonably expensive cruise.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:50 am

dirty leeds wrote:Vote for Michael Kiwanuka, you cunts: http://www.mercuryprize.com/voting

[Mr. Reality says all the others are better.]

Late to this guy but listening to his new one off the back of his Graun review this morning. Like a lot.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 am

Blackwhite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Vote for Michael Kiwanuka, you cunts: http://www.mercuryprize.com/voting

[Mr. Reality says all the others are better.]

Late to this guy but listening to his new one off the back of his Graun review this morning. Like a lot.

Pah, he was on our cover last month. Good bloke, Michael. Nature lover. Often joins me in the hide.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:55 am

Well if you'd sent me that free sub I asked for....

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:25 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Well if you'd sent me that free sub I asked for....

He was on Jools this week too. Haven't seen it meself yet. Long version tonight.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:28 pm

Cheers.

No fucking boogie woogie guarantee?

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:35 pm

For the possible professional attention of Dirty Leeds — this is your thread after all.

Not listened to this album yet, but just got back from watching a couple of hundred people enjoying it being launched, and I might have tapped a toe or two myself:

The baritone sax solo on this, live, banged:

Good interview with the main guy here: https://www.thestateofthearts.co.uk/fea ... s-on-fire/

He's in far too many bands, but I think it's okay, because he walks around Leeds looking exactly like James Chance, so he's doing the right thing about that.

There's been a feeling for a while up here, among what I'll patronisingly call 'the kids', that the jazz scene in Leeds makes whatever Gilles Peterson thinks is happening in London seem silly. There's certainly enough of it about. Perhaps enough for you to task an underling with investigating. I think some of them are wearing their influences quite blatantly on their young sleeves, but that's to be expected and shouldn't stop anybody, and there was enough strength in that show tonight to make me think some of your readers might be into it, or their fourth album when they get there. Yes, I am still addressing only you, DL.

I also like these: https://jasminequintet.bandcamp.com

Although I prefer their track on this (which aspired to be a compilation to rival 'We Out Here') to any of their EP stuff so far, I was playing it on a loop all through last summer: https://tobeherenow.bandcamp.com

In fact, fuck it, I might as well link to an example of why I stick to writing about football these days: https://www.thestateofthearts.co.uk/fea ... e-quintet/

They're like a splinter group from this lot, so I might as well link them too: https://tetesdepois.bandcamp.com

Hope any of this is fun or useful, DL. Nobody else listen to any of it, or else.
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:09 am

Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:40 am

kennyb41 wrote:Superb move by Coldplay.

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/ ... -new-album

You fucking had me there,K.
I thought for a moment the toneless cunt of a singer had decided to hang his microphone up.

Must dash.

:basket:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:26 pm

Belgian Technoist samples John Bercow

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:10 pm

moscowhite wrote:For the possible professional attention of Dirty Leeds — this is your thread after all.

Not listened to this album yet, but just got back from watching a couple of hundred people enjoying it being launched, and I might have tapped a toe or two myself:

The baritone sax solo on this, live, banged:

Good interview with the main guy here: https://www.thestateofthearts.co.uk/fea ... s-on-fire/

He's in far too many bands, but I think it's okay, because he walks around Leeds looking exactly like James Chance, so he's doing the right thing about that.

There's been a feeling for a while up here, among what I'll patronisingly call 'the kids', that the jazz scene in Leeds makes whatever Gilles Peterson thinks is happening in London seem silly. There's certainly enough of it about. Perhaps enough for you to task an underling with investigating. I think some of them are wearing their influences quite blatantly on their young sleeves, but that's to be expected and shouldn't stop anybody, and there was enough strength in that show tonight to make me think some of your readers might be into it, or their fourth album when they get there. Yes, I am still addressing only you, DL.

I also like these: https://jasminequintet.bandcamp.com

Although I prefer their track on this (which aspired to be a compilation to rival 'We Out Here') to any of their EP stuff so far, I was playing it on a loop all through last summer: https://tobeherenow.bandcamp.com

In fact, fuck it, I might as well link to an example of why I stick to writing about football these days: https://www.thestateofthearts.co.uk/fea ... e-quintet/

They're like a splinter group from this lot, so I might as well link them too: https://tetesdepois.bandcamp.com

Hope any of this is fun or useful, DL. Nobody else listen to any of it, or else.

Cheers Moscow. I know little about the Leeds jazz scene but I know a man who does. Or should do or he's fucking sacked. I'll consult. So far I'm liking some of that.
Some of the London scene is definitely fur coat/no knickers.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:38 am

Have to credit LUFCfilms for this one as it's prominently featured and one of the best of their uniformly excellent music selections.

The Motors are another band that is largely unknown in America, so unknown to me. Don't know why, but the UK pub rock bands didn't translate for reasons that remain a mystery as their sound would have seemed to be appealing to American ears back then. Oh well. Cool song.

The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 am

dirty leeds wrote:Some of the London scene is definitely fur coat/no knickers.

I suppose it depends on which part of the scene you're referring to. The more trad jazz stuff is what it is but I'm consistently impressed by the live jazz scene that resides in and around East London, mainly in Hackney but down to Peckham and beyond. A lot of it is admittedly rehashing old ideas but the sheer diversity of performers (and thus influences) in London makes it feel contemporary. I feel like due to the size of the population it's never going to be a fair fight but at ground level it really does feel like a golden era because there is something interesting happening on almost any given week, even if the performers don't necessarily call London home. The more visible stuff that was featured in We Out Here is understandably acclaimed but it's the less regarded stuff that happens around the community that spawned from TRC and now does stuff at Church of Sound/Brilliant Corners/Giant Steps/Buster Mantis etc that I find the most intriguing.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:55 am

I'm glad some of that's close to the spot, Dirty. If your guy needs any contacts I can put him through.

Tommy wrote:the community that spawned from TRC

Back in the day this was dubbed 'Frank Lampardcore'

'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:37 pm

seems like a mostly favourable response to the new ikea xmas advert.

i'll be honest, i heartily despise the recent christmas ad phenomenon [one of the very worst faces of materialism] but suppose do feel kindly disposed towards this one for a few reasons.

most importantly, it sounds good. but i also have a lot of time for the artist 'd double E', probably the only 'grime artist' i've ever really followed, he's barely any younger than i am, has been doing it for a long time, felt he 'deserved' mainstream success at least as much as the same-genre artists who've had it... i sort of feel the reasons that he didn't break through/didn't appeal to a 'mainstream grime' audience [principally not having the looks/physique to play 'heart throb' or 'hard man'; enduring loyalty to second-rate collaborators; using humour often; coming across as a Londoner first & 'west indian' or whatever a distant second] aren't good ones, especially since the genre's actual cognoscenti seem to, to a man, think he's a genius. in some ways maybe his talents [humour, being really subtly dark & subversive] might suit some kind of ultra-mainstream [tv?] work?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:30 pm

New DJ Shadow album tomorrow.

For them as are bothered.

Return to “The Square Ball”