Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Terre Harte II
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere, USA

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Terre Harte II » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:38 pm

After Ric Ocasek passed, someone started a Twitter thread about the best Cars copycat songs.

This one was included. It's before my time, so I didn't have direct recollection of it (it was a modest hit, perhaps his last before his late 80s hair metal sellout), but it's so strange in terms of the combination of unlikely artist and style of music that I halfway dig it.



Alice Cooper was on some serious drugs at the time. He looks more corpse-like than he did when he was trying to do it as part of his act in his early 70s glory years, but he more or less nailed this stab at relevance.

I'm fascinated by the late 60s/early 70s artists who tried to go electronic around the turn of the 80s to stay relevant. Neil Young, Paul McCartney, etc., all delved in, usually with forgettable or even embarrassing results.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:44 pm

Matt White wrote:
Vampire wrote:For someone who doesn’t read my posts, Oaf isn’t half taking it personally, and stalking me relentlessly, just for pointing out some obvious weaknesses in his arguments on the UK politics thread.


I'm new here but even I know that quoting someone's post makes it public so that anyone can read it. Look, it's up there. Helpfully there's a big box around it too!

:salute: to you for trying.

If you get a chance to drive a psychological self-analysis of her need to point-score her way through her meagre allotment of heartbeats, that might be fun.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Matt White
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:34 pm
Location: God's own Essex

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Matt White » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:48 pm

Terre Harte II wrote:After Ric Ocasek passed, someone started a Twitter thread about the best Cars copycat songs.

This one was included. It's before my time, so I didn't have direct recollection of it (it was a modest hit, perhaps his last before his late 80s hair metal sellout), but it's so strange in terms of the combination of unlikely artist and style of music that I halfway dig it.



Alice Cooper was on some serious drugs at the time. He looks more corpse-like than he did when he was trying to do it as part of his act in his early 70s glory years, but he more or less nailed this stab at relevance.

I'm fascinated by the late 60s/early 70s artists who tried to go electronic around the turn of the 80s to stay relevant. Neil Young, Paul McCartney, etc., all delved in, usually with forgettable or even embarrassing results.


"Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne is a tribute to the Cars' "Just What I Needed" :thumbl:

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Vampire » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 pm

Matt White wrote:
Vampire wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Oh God, Vampire’s being an attention-seeking cunt once again. Quelle horreur.

Making the general accusation that people on here define their ‘obscure’ musical taste with the aim of being a ‘pseud’, without being willing to identify the specific occasion when that has happened.


For someone who doesn’t read my posts, Oaf isn’t half taking it personally, and stalking me relentlessly, just for pointing out some obvious weaknesses in his arguments on the UK politics thread.


I'm new here but even I know that quoting someone's post makes it public so that anyone can read it. Look, it's up there. Helpfully there's a big box around it too!


Quite apart from the fact that the whole point of “on ignore” is to actually ignore someone, I was referring to my posts on UK politics last week. As so often happens, immediately after I countered his arguments on that thread, we see “leakage” in the form of a spate of random personal attacks on other threads.

You may be new(ish), Matt (and a welcome addition - I mean that sincerely), but as an intelligent bloke you don’t seriously believe Oaf and Walt when they say they aren’t reading my posts, do you?

You don’t have to look far to see them directly responding to posts (including those that haven’t been quoted by others) when it suits them.

Here’s one example from just a couple of months back:

And here’s another.

And that’s just two examples I found quickly using the search function, there’s plenty more if I could be arsed. They respond whenever they fancy their chances - a bit like someone saying they’re vegetarian except for fish and chicken.

Oaf and Walt are your typical cowardly bullies. They used to dish out constant abuse to me - even vile and offensive gutter level abuse directed at my children - but as soon as anyone stands up to them - even with a mere gentle ribbing - they run away and hide behind this phoney ”on ignore” shield. As Mr Reality said - they’re good at dishing it out - not so good when it’s handed back.

So, as a new(ish) baller, Matt, by all means don’t get involved. Though staying out does means staying out. Please don’t - like some on here - fall into the double standards trap of sanctimoniously saying “I’m not getting involved” - whilst reserving the right to comment when it’s going one way but not the other. And no need to put this post in quotes - they’ll have probably read it before you.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:09 am

New Nolans video for Terre Harte II:

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Vampire » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:13 am

dirty leeds wrote:New Nolans video for Terre Harte II:


There’s more than a hint of Motown in that.
:mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Devi » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:48 am

I like this.

I like it. What is it?

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Tycipa » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:03 am

Devi wrote:I like this.


Gets my vote. As Kenny would say, Dust Mash.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

User avatar
Proud to be Leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:51 pm

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:01 am

Proud to be Leeds wrote:While I'm here, I'll also show off that I'm going to see Mix Master Mike on Sunday at Brudenell :D


This was fantastic by the way. One of my favourite ever gigs.
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:51 pm

When I'm feeling pissed off about the football, I return to my heroes for solace:


And yes, Rod Stewart did lift the string line for Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. He loved a bit of Bobby.

User avatar
Terre Harte II
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere, USA

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Terre Harte II » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:27 am

dirty leeds wrote:When I'm feeling pissed off about the football, I return to my heroes for solace:


And yes, Rod Stewart did lift the string line for Do Ya Think I'm Sexy. He loved a bit of Bobby.


Similar title, different vibe.



From the “Across 110th Street” soundtrack. A great album through and through.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:30 am

Terre Harte II wrote:Similar title, different vibe.



From the “Across 110th Street” soundtrack. A great album through and through.


I disagree with that. It's probably one of Womack's poorest albums of the seventies, imo. [Even Bobby admitted it.]
It came out after Understanding [1972] but before the official follow-up, Facts Of Life [1973], and only happened at all because his manager landed him a soundtrack deal on the movie. Basically, Bobby fancied a bit of 'blaxploitation' movie soundtrack action after watching Isaac Hayes [Shaft], Curtis Mayfield [Superfly] and Marvin Gaye [Trouble Man] take soul guys into the Hollywood sphere. He chucked it together inside a couple of weeks, relying heavily on the fact that orchestra leader/arranger JJ Johnson had already done a lot of the groundwork for him, which explains why there are only three new songs by Bobby. The title track is great, obviously, but Hang On In There and Do It Right are below average Womack jams [probably left unused from either Understanding or Facts Of Life. The song you picked, If You Don't Want My Love, had already appeared on his Communication album back in 1971: the soundtrack version is just more laid back, but essentially the same. Yeah, it's great, but it's an old tune re-used and not much re-worked. Most of the rest of the album is JJ Johnson and his orchestra, and actually fuck all to do with Womack. He wasn't even there when it was recorded.

Sorry for going on about it. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion as to its quality. It's just that the whole 110th Street thing has become a bugbear for most long-serving Womack fans. Yes, the title song is ace and it was great to see it revived by Jackie Brown [so lots of new people discovered him], but as an album, it's really a bit of a cheat, assembled in a rush, mostly performed by someone else and featuring only one good new song. It's nowhere near as strong as his other seventies studio albums, like Communication, Understanding, Facts Of Life and, perhaps best of all, Looking For A Love Again. So I guess, if you haven't heard them and you think 110th Street is good, maybe have a listen? Up to you mate. I'm just the board's resident Womack bore, is all.

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Tycipa » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:49 am

^ this
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

User avatar
Devi
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Crystal Palarse

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Devi » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:17 am

I like it. What is it?

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Dirty Music

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:51 am

Nice (to me, anyway) hippety hop shit I came across recently: Channel Tres



And then that lead me down a rabbit hole to - shock horror - an Australian band who aren't fucking awful:

HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:21 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Nice (to me, anyway) hippety hop shit I came across recently: Channel Tres


Aye, I like that too. Tres has a sense of humour and that's about the only kind of hip-hop I ever like - funny, quirky shit. Used to like De La Soul back in the day too.

eric olthwaite wrote:And then that lead me down a rabbit hole to - shock horror - an Australian band who aren't fucking awful:


There are a few good Aussie bands now who work in that soul-jazz-hip-hop-dub-pop style, imo - such as Hiatus, 30/70 and various other Melbourne-based off-shoots [who sort of grew out of the 'deep funk' thing started by Bamboos/Lance Ferguson etc].
Happily, Vamps isn't really aware of any of them. Well, he wasn't until he started googling after reading this.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere
Contact:

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:46 am

Bamboos aren't bad, TBF.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: Dirty Music

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:09 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Happily, Vamps isn't really aware of any of them. Well, he wasn't until he started googling after reading this.


I wonder whether the electro-disco cheese of Confidence Man would be more up his street?

HM Collector Of Parcels

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:13 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Happily, Vamps isn't really aware of any of them. Well, he wasn't until he started googling after reading this.


I wonder whether the electro-disco cheese of Confidence Man would be more up his street?


Hmm, very Motowny, so he should do.

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Tycipa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:19 pm

Ed Sheehan can of course fuck off but being a sucker for a good voice/s I’m quite taken by this...

The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Arnieb, FER, jackos, Professor Weeto and 56 guests