Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:50 am

the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Welsh mate, you'll be going to this, no doubt: https://www.ticketline.co.uk/an-evening ... m-tour#bio

cheapest london seat is £51.30, to watch a 'hologram' perform. i'm out.

They probably have a hologram of Whitney looking disappointed in you.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:59 am

Terre Harte II wrote:I’ll die on this hill. “Gotta Pull Myself Together” is excellent early 80s pop. I know nothing of the rest of the Nolans output, though I suspect I would hate it as I’m not at all into girl-group pop, but credit where credit is due for this one.

yeah, dunno, i don't really like bernie bernie nolan's work, mostly, i admit, for some very slippery evasion of my celeb DL entries, but, also, she always seemed to really overact, over-egg her performance, better suited to musical theatre than pop imo, just seemed a bit naff.

but i suppose you're right in that, whilst not my cup of tea, the track is by no means embarrassing, other than possibly the presence of a very young/awkward looking coleen nolan at the edge of the screen. it sounded a bit more familiar to me than it should given my relative ignorance of the nolans' work, is part of the melody lifted from elsewhere, e.g. possibly t'four tops, 'sugar pie honey bunch' or similar?

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:22 am

I know nothing of the Nolans outside of this song. I know they're sisters and that's about it.
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:42 am

Terre Harte II wrote:I know nothing of the Nolans outside of this song. I know they're sisters and that's about it.

Stick to your guns, man!

Don’t let the musical snobs on here belittle your musical taste.
There isn’t a scientifically objective definition of good music - it boils down to what you like. Rhys has never been ashamed of his liking for Phil Collins, or TFP for Cliff.

Fair enough, we do have one or two genuine music aficiandos on here like Tommy, but don’t be bullied by the pretentious pseuds who seek out obscure shit merely to suggest their tastes are more refined than the popular tastes of the masses.

:mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 am

Vampire wrote:There isn’t a scientifically objective definition of good music - it boils down to what you like... don’t be bullied by the pretentious pseuds who seek out obscure shit ..

You are two stating two opposite viewpoints in the same post here, which do you mean?

It's quite possible to like both popular and obscure shit at the same time, you know.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:48 am

Matt White wrote:
Vampire wrote:There isn’t a scientifically objective definition of good music - it boils down to what you like... don’t be bullied by the pretentious pseuds who seek out obscure shit ..

You are two stating two opposite viewpoints in the same post here, which do you mean?

It's quite possible to like both popular and obscure shit at the same time, you know.

I think you might be overdoing the two options :mrgreen:
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:52 am

Matt White wrote:

I didn’t say it wasn’t (provided you genuinely do) - I just said (whatever music you like) “don’t be bullied by pretentious pseuds who seek out obscure shit merely to suggest their tastes are more refined than the popular tastes of the masses.”
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Terre Harte II

Postby Terre Harte II » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:04 am

Vampire wrote:
Terre Harte II wrote:I know nothing of the Nolans outside of this song. I know they're sisters and that's about it.

Don’t let the musical snobs on here belittle your musical taste.

Oh. That's a given. Everyone can fuck off! :lol:

What's weird, though, is that I am typically cast in the role of musical snob based on my usual tastes. Obscurantist power pop, funk, weird ass Morricone, deep track classic rock, etc. So it's fun to see how the other half lives.

The reason I found the song in the first place is that I was making a Spotify playlist of songs that hit No. 16 (my favorite number) on various charts in 1980 or whatever year that was out. Why? Because I'm a dork and I drive a lot.

I include the UK chart among the charts I pick from. Saw the song, never heard it, gave it a listen, and dug it. Same way I found "Rasputin" by Boney M, another "band" (studio creation) that never made it here.

(And, yes, I've also found good music by respected artists.)

Also, the most glorious day in UK music history was on May 21, 1972 when this happened. My all-time favorite song and club:
Attachments
tumblingdiceleeds.jpg
The artist formerly known as Terre Harte I. Occasionally posts Nolans videos.

Something-something here about Massimo Cellino, beer and refrigerators.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 am

Vampire wrote:
Matt White wrote:

I didn’t say it wasn’t (provided you genuinely do) - I just said (whatever music you like) “don’t be bullied by pretentious pseuds who seek out obscure shit merely to suggest their tastes are more refined than the popular tastes of the masses.”

My point was, you are saying it's pretentious to like stuff that you deem "obscure shit", just after saying it's OK to like whatever you like. Perhaps they actually like the obscure stuff that they are claiming to like. Wouldn't it be a waste of time to do otherwise?

That's all, gotta do some work now...

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:52 am

Terre Harte II wrote:The reason I found the song in the first place is that I was making a Spotify playlist of songs that hit No. 16 (my favorite number) on various charts in 1980 or whatever year that was out. Why? Because I'm a dork

I love doing this kind of thing. I remember doing one from all my music albums (digital or otherwise) and only using track number 8 from each album.

While I'm here, I'll also show off that I'm going to see Mix Master Mike on Sunday at Brudenell :D
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:12 am

Oh God, Vampire’s being an attention-seeking cunt once again. Quelle horreur.

Making the general accusation that people on here define their ‘obscure’ musical taste with the aim of being a ‘pseud’, without being willing to identify the specific occasion when that has happened.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:25 am

I recon Brett is just enjoying a day on the river bank.

I'm tempted to let him hook me over my love of Collins.

Must dash instead.

:basket:

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 am

Going to see Volbeat at the Brixton academy tomorrow and really looking forward to it
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:40 am

Pattaya is the place for live bands. You can watch at least ten within a mile radius.

All cover bands of course but lots of quality musicians in amongst them.

Just a few more night's left here. Thought my mate Kenny would have joined us in between his dashing around

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 am

Proud to be Leeds wrote:
Terre Harte II wrote:The reason I found the song in the first place is that I was making a Spotify playlist of songs that hit No. 16 (my favorite number) on various charts in 1980 or whatever year that was out. Why? Because I'm a dork

I love doing this kind of thing. I remember doing one from all my music albums (digital or otherwise) and only using track number 8 from each album.

While I'm here, I'll also show off that I'm going to see Mix Master Mike on Sunday at Brudenell :D

number 8, eh? not a traditional prime slot.

also a bit digital [cd/stream/download] era, i personally always think of track listings in terms of side 1/side 2 of a 'long player' or 'tape'.

anyway - god only knows, pet sounds?

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:31 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Oh God, Vampire’s being an attention-seeking cunt once again. Quelle horreur.

Making the general accusation that people on here define their ‘obscure’ musical taste with the aim of being a ‘pseud’, without being willing to identify the specific occasion when that has happened.

:fish: :lol:

For someone who doesn’t read my posts, Oaf isn’t half taking it personally, and stalking me relentlessly, just for pointing out some obvious weaknesses in his arguments on the UK politics thread.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:59 am

the flying pig wrote:also a bit digital [cd/stream/download] era, i personally always think of track listings in terms of side 1/side 2 of a 'long player' or 'tape'.

Good point, [for once :D ] TFP: albums recorded back in them there days would often kick off each side with either the first or second single, and in the era of [say] eight or nine track albums, track five would often bag you the follow-up 45.

Only a personal thing, but the idea of choosing a load of 'track sixes' or 'track 16s' is too arbitrary for me. I prefer to select the music to suit a particular mood, or programme a playlist to suit it. But, hey ho, whatevs.
Mostly don't get that choice as I spend my days listening through new stuff either to review or set up the next interview.

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:23 pm

the flying pig wrote:number 8, eh? not a traditional prime slot.

I think I based it on listening to three albums in a row, and finding that my fave song on all three was track number 8!
Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:49 pm

g
dirty leeds wrote:
the flying pig wrote:also a bit digital [cd/stream/download] era, i personally always think of track listings in terms of side 1/side 2 of a 'long player' or 'tape'.

Good point, [for once :D ] TFP: albums recorded back in them there days would often kick off each side with either the first or second single, and in the era of [say] eight or nine track albums, track five would often bag you the follow-up 45.

get fucked :thumbl:

but, yes, this is of course right. as you say, the first track of the second side was a big deal, still is to me.

there's also the mildly thorny issue of different releases [e.g. for different international markets] sometimes having slightly different track listings.

all in all i suppose i'm saying that pbtl's idea is a shambolic, poorly thought out, nonsense :thumbd:.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Vampire wrote:For someone who doesn’t read my posts, Oaf isn’t half taking it personally, and stalking me relentlessly, just for pointing out some obvious weaknesses in his arguments on the UK politics thread.

I'm new here but even I know that quoting someone's post makes it public so that anyone can read it. Look, it's up there. Helpfully there's a big box around it too!

Return to “The Square Ball”