Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 5:48 am

Bookmakers now give the Dutch entry a 47% chance of winning

So, one song has a 47% chance of winning in a field of almost 30 with what you’d normally expect to be somewhat unpredictable voting by juries and the public across so many disparate countries.

Not normally a conspiracy theorist but you have to wonder if insider information has got out. Possibly the semi final voting numbers?

Somewhat odd looking book for a normally unpredictable contest like this:

Netherlands 1.7
Australia 7
Switzerland 12
Sweden 12
Russia 19

UK 226.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat May 18, 2019 8:54 am

dirty leeds wrote:Thought this was funny:

There's a few of them.
Weezer doing take on me is really good.
Not in the same class as The Who of course, but still very good.

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat May 18, 2019 10:32 am

Vampire wrote:Side splitting.

Meant to write 'fun'. Must have auto-corrected.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat May 18, 2019 11:28 pm

I see the UK finished bottom.

I guess that means Europe just doesn’t like Motown.

:mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 11:45 am

Vampire wrote:I see the UK finished bottom.

I was delighted. Worried at one point that nobody would vote for Israel, but they managed to snag a few points and overtake us. Seems that chubby lads with knock-knees and too-tight jeans don't cut it, especially if they can't sing and the "song" is shite. Who'da thunk it?

Madonna was hilariously awful - rude [as ever] to the presenter and then sings one of her oldies out of tune, followed by some cod-reggae bollocks with an accompanying auto-tuned knobhead. She was paid a million dollars for that debacle, I read. What does anyone see in her, ffs.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Didn’t watch the shit but moderately amused to read that Madonna wheeled out some sidekick who said ‘My mum grew up listening to you.’

Brutal :mrgreen:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 12:05 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Didn’t watch the shit but moderately amused to read that Madonna wheeled out some sidekick who said ‘My mum grew up listening to you.’

Brutal :mrgreen:

Yeah, he'll get it for that. And also saying she was "one of the best" he's worked with, or some such.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sun May 19, 2019 12:49 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

I was delighted. Worried at one point that nobody would vote for Israel, but they managed to snag a few points and overtake us. Seems that chubby lads with knock-knees and too-tight jeans don't cut it, especially if they can't sing and the "song" is shite. Who'da thunk it?

Madonna was hilariously awful - rude [as ever] to the presenter and then sings one of her oldies out of tune, followed by some cod-reggae bollocks with an accompanying auto-tuned knobhead. She was paid a million dollars for that debacle, I read. What does anyone see in her, ffs.

Yeah - Madonna’s voice was as flat as a pancake and the interview was cringeworthy - but she comes out on top again getting paid mega bucks to promote a crap new album to the most watched non sporting event on the planet.

Anyhow - bookies right again - so next year’s contest will be in the Netherlands. Lots of famous docks over there - so I’ve already started work on our entry - about a guy who sits on Rotterdam docks all day watching the tide come in and out. In the evening he sees the same boats roll out that he saw roll in during the morning - he’s just wasting time. Naff enough for Eurovision?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun May 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Vampire wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:

Yeah - Madonna’s voice was as flat as a pancake and the interview was cringeworthy - but she comes out on top again getting paid mega bucks to promote a crap new album to the most watched non sporting event on the planet.

Anyhow - bookies right again - so next year’s contest will be in the Netherlands. Lots of famous docks over there - so I’ve already started work on our entry - about a guy who sits on Rotterdam docks all day watching the tide come in and out. In the evening he sees the same boats roll out that he saw roll in during the morning - he’s just wasting time. Naff enough for Eurovision?

Music snob :thumbd:

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 7:00 pm

Vampire wrote:... but she comes out on top again getting paid mega bucks to promote a crap new album to the most watched non sporting event on the planet.

This is precisely what Madge is about - good businesswoman but horrid musician.

Apparently, she used to be likeable/normal. My predecessor at Echoes, a DJ/journalist and writer called Lindsay Wesker [son of Arnold, as it goes], got to know her a bit in the eighties after he interviewed her. They got on so well he took her clubbing around London and she was game for owt. We have a pic in the files of them dancing together at some joint or other. Can't lay me hands on it at the moment. Maybe it was never digitised.
And she did sign Meshell Ndegeocello to her Maverick label.
But that was then.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sun May 19, 2019 7:03 pm

I know, it's been black armbands and a day of quiet reflection throughout the country. Still, one has to just push on I suppose. Stiff upper lip and all that.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 7:07 pm

Matt White wrote:I know, it's been black armbands and a day of quiet reflection throughout the country. Still, one has to just push on I suppose. Stiff upper lip and all that.

I know, Leeds missing out on promotion, finishing bottom in Eurovision, Bob Hawke brown bread... annus horrbilis, or wot?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun May 19, 2019 7:38 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:... but she comes out on top again getting paid mega bucks to promote a crap new album to the most watched non sporting event on the planet.

This is precisely what Madge is about - good businesswoman but horrid musician.

Apparently, she used to be likeable/normal. My predecessor at Echoes, a DJ/journalist and writer called Lindsay Wesker [son of Arnold, as it goes], got to know her a bit in the eighties after he interviewed her. They got on so well he took her clubbing around London and she was game for owt. We have a pic in the files of them dancing together at some joint or other. Can't lay me hands on it at the moment. Maybe it was never digitised.
And she did sign Meshell Ndegeocello to her Maverick label.
But that was then.

To be fair she made two cracking albums.
One with Nile Rodgers and one with William Orbit.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu May 23, 2019 9:49 am

Very very late to this particular party, but better late never.
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat May 25, 2019 6:43 pm

More songs about summoning C'Thulu and Beelzebub from The Shaggs .

Proud to be Leeds

Postby Proud to be Leeds » Tue May 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Big remix

Leeds United - I love you more than I want to.

Cycling 500km for The Stroke Association - https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Adam-Yeadon1
Raising awareness for Oesophageal Cancer - https://www.justgiving.com/jeffcooper61/

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 pm

Love a bit of WrongTom.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Tue May 28, 2019 9:38 pm

Mustafaster wrote:https://youtu.be/yN9UT2zF8c8

More songs about summoning C'Thulu and Beelzebub from The Shaggs .

Strangely hypnotic tracks. I'm a convert.

This one sounds like something the Legendary Stardust Cowboy might have done in an uncharacteristically mellow mood.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 31, 2019 2:52 pm

This afternoon's random nostalgia wormhole is Bad Music For Bad People

London_White

Postby London_White » Fri May 31, 2019 3:13 pm

Having seen this lot recently I can't get this out of my head

Return to “The Square Ball”