dirty leeds

Re: Dirty Music

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:51 am

We are all music snobs. Except you and Vamps. :mrgreen:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:58 am

dirty leeds wrote:We are all music snobs. Except you and Vamps. :mrgreen:

No it’s mainly you whose the musical snob on this thread - with one or two others - and then also a few of pretentious pseudes as well.

Everyone else is OK and seems to recognise you can have different musical tastes without your own taste being objectively inferior to that of the musical snob.

There’s subjectivity and personal preference involved. Even Rhys has no shame admitting he’s a big Phil Collins fan.

:thumbl:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:16 am

Ballgirl wrote:How can you not like ABBA???

It’s something to do with hearing their songs, not liking them and being content never to hear them again.

Happy to help :thumbl:

Leeds0269

Postby Leeds0269 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:58 am

I'm guessing not many here into Napalm Death or Black Metal then?
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

barry white

Postby barry white » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:25 am

I unintentionally saw Napalm Death in mid 80s. It was a great night.

Mick Harris is still doing cool stuff

London_White

Postby London_White » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:27 am

Saw them a few times in late 80s mostly north London pubs, George Robey, Boston Arms etc, thought they lost their way when songs regularly crept over the three minute mark. 28 track album Scum with total running time of about 34 minutes was more effective.
Gigs were like nothing I'd seen before or since, complete physical and audio assault. Can't say I'd have bought any of their music as it just didn't seem right listening to it at home. Saw a few of the grind core bands like Extreme Noise Terror, Bolt Thrower, Sore Throat, made a change from listening to jangly guitar music which got played a lot where I worked

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:12 am

When that shit took hold there was a gig at ULU with Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Bolt Thrower and a couple of others at ULU. The Beeb were there filming it. I remember I had a suede jacket from Camden Market (as you did, then) which was just leather by the end of the evening. One of the daftest, most lunatic events I’ve ever experienced. There were times when you couldn’t see the band or PA at all because of the plague of people stage diving.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:12 am

London_White wrote:Saw them a few times in late 80s mostly north London pubs, George Robey, Boston Arms etc, thought they lost their way when songs regularly crept over the three minute mark. 28 track album Scum with total running time of about 34 minutes was more effective.
Gigs were like nothing I'd seen before or since, complete physical and audio assault. Can't say I'd have bought any of their music as it just didn't seem right listening to it at home. Saw a few of the grind core bands like Extreme Noise Terror, Bolt Thrower, Sore Throat, made a change from listening to jangly guitar music which got played a lot where I worked

Definitely to be seen live. Total sensual assault, saw em twice can't say I loved it, but a hell of an experience. Twice was enough.
Doesn't work on record.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 am

London_White wrote:in late 80s mostly north London pubs, George Robey

Was talking to a mate about the Robey t’other day. Were you a Club Dog fan at all?

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:59 am

London_White

Postby London_White » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:03 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
London_White wrote:in late 80s mostly north London pubs, George Robey

Was talking to a mate about the Robey t’other day. Were you a Club Dog fan at all?

Not that I recall, but the late 80's are a little, um, hazy... Went to quite a few late night raves, club nights that sort of thing. Was working for Rough Trade in those days so never short of an invite to something somewhere

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:34 pm

Club Dog was a weird late 80s (IIRC) new psychedelic thing. It was where Ozric Tentacles got their start I think. They did all that projector and oil wheels thing that Hawkwind had.

Was saying to my mate how, from a contemporary perspective, it was just astonishing that a place as squalid as the Robey could ever stay in business. It was the sort of pub where you’d have a few pints then decide to have a piss in the street on the way home rather than go in the bogs in there, because it was less of a risk to your health and well-being.

London_White

Postby London_White » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:15 pm

I'm sure I must have been there Eric. There were quite a few at RT who were into bands like Ozric. Thing is with the mix of mdma and acid in what passed for my blood stream in those days I've got no idea at all.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:46 pm

London_White wrote:I'm sure I must have been there Eric. There were quite a few at RT who were into bands like Ozric. Thing is with the mix of mdma and acid in what passed for my blood stream in those days I've got no idea at all.

:mrgreen:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Leeds0269

Postby Leeds0269 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:39 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:When that shit took hold there was a gig at ULU with Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Bolt Thrower and a couple of others at ULU. The Beeb were there filming it. I remember I had a suede jacket from Camden Market (as you did, then) which was just leather by the end of the evening. One of the daftest, most lunatic events I’ve ever experienced. There were times when you couldn’t see the band or PA at all because of the plague of people stage diving.

Sounds similar to my first experience of seeing them. Minus the suede jacket.

They're a bit fatter, hairier and slower (aren't we all) but still cause a similar reaction now. I can't keep up anymore.
Been away from posting for too long, but still been lingering around like a bad fart.

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 pm

BBC4 now for all jazz fans

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 pm

Rambo the randy pig wrote:BBC4 now for all jazz fans

Highly recommended, if you missed it catch it on iPlayer if it’s there.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Sat May 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Live at Leeds is ace! Just about to see my fourth band.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat May 04, 2019 1:33 pm

Bucket Man charidee single:

Return to “The Square Ball”