Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Vampire

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Vampire » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Hope you'll survive long enough to see us go up this season.

Not me - and not treating this like a “me me me” Facebook page so no details - but you still need to get over your musical snobbery.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:07 pm

dirty leeds wrote:No, it doesn't. Abba are shite.

Glad to hear someone else say this, it often seems like they are to this day considered sacred cows for people of a certain age. I don't get ABBA at all, though I do wonder if I would like the songs more if performed by different artists. Personally I've always found the production to be thin and the singing to be shrill. I think there a couple of songs on Chess that suggest a sense of songwriting craft I'd hitherto found myself immune to but I've never cared enough to explore further. As I'm getting older I've noticed that I'm enjoying 70s-80s music more than ever (though I always liked it quite a lot), including a lot of mainstream stuff that is largely the antithesis of the gigging punk bands I commonly see. However, ABBA still seems beyond my ken and I think I'm fine with that.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Think you're all avoiding the main issue, which is whether you were up for Agnetha (incorrect) or Anna-Frid (correct).

London_White

Postby London_White » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Well I can't agree Eric - literally bumped into Agnetha once about 1977ish. Had gone to Capital Radio to get some promotional stuff any freebies we could get our hands on and walked out of a door just as Abba walked in, made a very long lasting impression on a 14ish year old me, she was stunning as i recall. No security pushing people out the way etc, they'd just got out of a car and strolled in took me a while to realise who it was.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Think you're all avoiding the main issue, which is whether you were up for Agnetha (incorrect) or Anna-Frid (correct).

from what i've seen of post Abba, Anna-Frid aged much the better of the two, much better, but back in the day i think i'd have preferred agnetha, she had better hair.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:32 pm

Vampire wrote:

Not me - and not treating this like a “me me me” Facebook page so no details - but you still need to get over your musical snobbery.

Mate, you don't need to be a musical snob to think Abba are/were massively overrated shite. Anyway, it would have been Agnetha for me, but why choose only one, eh?

London_White

Postby London_White » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:49 pm

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

Mate, you don't need to be a musical snob to think Abba are/were massively overrated shite. Anyway, it would have been Agnetha for me, but why choose only one, eh?

Yep - I'm sure Bjorn would have joined in if you'd asked nicely

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm

That's enough about ABBA, this is a music thread.

Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Far be it from me to cast the first stone when it comes to appearances but personally, I always felt like all four members of ABBA were kind of a chore to look at even in their heyday - and that might actually be the thing I liked most about them. To me they always looked like the sort of misshapen, poorly dressed hobgoblins you'd been quite keen to avoid at suburban key parties. I much preferred the era when it seemed like you could push virtually anyone on stage and if they had the goods, they got a pass despite being on the grotesque side.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:56 pm

Think I always just went with the impression that Agnetha would be lights out, strict instructions on what you can and can’t do, whereas Anna-Frid would be as grubby as you like.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:22 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Think I always just went with the impression that Agnetha would be lights out, strict instructions on what you can and can’t do, whereas Anna-Frid would be as grubby as you like.

Fair point. Almost the kind of woman who might give you a black eye if you'd, say, attempted to commit an unexpected lewd act as you passed her in the bedroom. Or some other random example.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Mustafaster wrote:That's enough about ABBA, this is a music thread.

Seems like their all in a race to see which one finishes first.

My money is on the keyboard player :thumbl:

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:13 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Vampire wrote:

On what basis?

Music is a subjective thing, isn’t it? I don’t enjoy listening to the Motown artists you’re constantly raving on about - but I wouldn’t be so arrogant as to label them “shite.” It’s just musical snobbery - not quite as bad as being a pretentious pseud (the thread has one or two of those as well though TBF not you), but still unedifying.

BTW just reading back by “not me” I didn’t mean “not me” there to see us promoted - I meant “not me” that had the health issue. Just thought I’d better clarify so as not to unfairly raise expectations for some on here. No need to double the champagne order.
:mrgreen:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:20 am

Hope the health issue is resolved, Vampers.

Let's be clear, I still think you're a cunt.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:56 am

Eddie Hinton, Muscle Shoals guitarist, songwriter, occasional artist and Womack studio sideman, was fucking ace. This is from his debut album, the very first album I ever reviewed in print:

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:06 am

That's very beautiful , Dirty.
Cheers.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:11 am

Mustafaster wrote:That's very beautiful , Dirty.
Cheers.

The album - Very Extremely Dangerous - is all like that. Great LP. He has a couple of others too. Died in the mid-1990s.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 am

This is Womack doing an Eddie tune:

[Eddie on background vocals and guitar.]

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:23 am

It's gone all borefest again. I feel the thread needs a musical reboot, courtesy of South Yorkshire Mick Hucknall.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:20 pm

bit of an oldie, which i found out a bit more about today.

i was one of them mini goths floating around leeds in the late 80's who was also learning to play the drums. quite naturally i got into the cult after they released the album 'love' in 1985. as i listened more and drummed more i realised their best stuff was done in '84 and '85 when their drummer was nigel preston, so this bloke became a bit of a hero of mine. i remember buying a bootleg video which had him playing their previous single which had this drum break in which mesmerised me, yet he made it look so easy, he had his own style using a lot of toms, but was so crisp and meticulous so he sounded sharper live than he did on record. one of the other things i liked was he looked the least gothy of the lot of them, nigel looked cool but normal.

anyway, he drummed on she sells sanctuary their most defining song, but this was the last song he wrote on and today i learnt a bit more about why. back in the md 90's i met a bloke playing cricket who claimed nigel was a smackhead and got booted out the band, this was only half the story. back when this video was shot he was still in the band but not in the video...

when the band were set to record the song they asked for steve lillywhite, the 'rock' producer, so they put their tape into the company steve lillywhite worked for, and labelled it 'for steve'. the tape landed on another steve's desk, steve brown who had been producing wham!. so they got to the studio and there were less than mixed feelings because the wrong producer turned up. then the drummer turned up totally pissed. the original drumming for the song had nigel's distinctive tom heavy sound to it, but he was so pissed that they kept reducing the drum-kit until it was hi hat, snare and bass drum. so the drums got this minimalist almost disco beat to it. essentially the reason the record is so good was accidental.

so they had this song in the bag to be released as a single. beggars banquet stuck £25,000, a considerable sum, for the video. everything was set, studios had been booked, directors, runners and the whole shebang for a day to make the video. all the band were there in the morning apart from nigel. eventually they got a phone call explaining that he'd been arrested on a charge of armed robbery. he'd crashed a car that he'd nicked the night before and the police thought he was involved in another crime so he was out of action for the day. they were going to get the roadie to play drums in the video, but their manager had a better idea, he was also the manager of big country and they stuck a leather jacket on mark brzezicki who was floating free that day and he played the drums on the video. as he did this with such little fuss and was a fucking good drummer himself they ended up sacking nigel off and mark brzezicki played the drums on the rest of their finest album.

nigel went off and played for nile rodgers after this, but ended up dead in 1992. crying shame.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Return to “The Square Ball”