Dirty Music

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Matt White

Re: Dirty Music

Postby Matt White » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 am

Sault. I know this old news for all the hipsters on here :wink:

A bit in your face with black activisim messages throughout, but many good to great tracks on the two LP's they released last year, "Black Is" and "Rise"

Here they are with an actual chart record

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:06 am

Matt White wrote:Sault. I know this old news for all the hipsters on here :wink:

A bit in your face with black activisim messages throughout, but many good to great tracks on the two LP's they released last year, "Black Is" and "Rise"

Here they are with an actual chart record

Yeah, dunno about Sault. We've been writing about them in the mag for a while. My main problem with Inflo is that he creates great soundbeds but often isn't so hot on the songwriting element - in terms of song structure and taking his ideas to their fullest extent. So the album has far too many bits of inspiration that end up as short tracks going nowhere much. As you say, there are some good tracks across both albums but all this 'Album Of the Year' shite from people aching to be seen as 'hip' - not you, I hasten to add - is a bit fucking boring. When Inflo teams up with a songwriter like Michael Kiwanuka I think it generally works better. But I do like Cleo Sol as a vocalist. Glad to see them having some success, though - especially with lyrics that put forward a BLM perspective. Quite a few of my fave American artists are doing the latter these days, but not so many British soul-influenced guys.

By the way, did you hear Daft Punk broke up? Shocking. Time to set up a tribute band: Daft Cunt.
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:17 pm

Interesting, they present as a bunch of anonymous musos with no pulic personas. A bit like Daft Punk, coincidentally. I don't mind the upfront BLM stuff, they do manage to surround most of it with tunes.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm

Spaking of Daft Punk, I'm sure everyone and their gran has seen this by now.. Warning: contains boredom.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:58 pm

To avoid clogging the CK, Sunshine:

Sunshine wrote:sorry bud you totally lost me there/ do tell
ok Clapton cheated on the Beatles, Harrison (Layla), after being the only person to play on Beatles record ( My Guitar gentle weeps, White LP)
then joined us in Bahamas, and wrote some of his finest songs Cocaine, followed by Frampton, Joe Cocker, Marley, Stones, AC DC, talking Heads, U2, Bowie, Maiden all there at Compass Point Studios

Clapton always paid genuine homage to the blues founders?

Sadly it would seem Eric's heart wasn't really in that black Delta homage.

Eric Clapton wrote:Do we have any foreigners in the audience tonight? If so, please put up your hands … So where are you? Well wherever you all are, I think you should all just leave. Not just leave the hall, leave our country … I don’t want you here, in the room or in my country. Listen to me, man! I think we should send them all back. Stop Britain from becoming a black colony. Get the foreigners out. Get the wogs out. Get the coons out. Keep Britain white … The black wogs and coons and Arabs and f*cking Jamaicans don’t belong here, we don’t want them here. This is England, this is a white country, we don’t want any black wogs and coons living here. We need to make clear to them they are not welcome. England is for white people, man … This is Great Britain, a white country, what is happening to us, for f*ck’s sake? … Throw the wogs out! Keep Britain white!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 am

Cocaine is a JJ Cale song covered by Clapton.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:02 am

Mustafaster wrote:Cocaine is a JJ Cale song covered by Clapton.

Even a 70s blues rock hating bastard like me knew that one.
Member of a clique

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:27 pm

:mrgreen:

Member of a clique

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Feel sure if he'd just carried on into Hear The Drummer Get Wicked she might have worked it out :lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:33 pm

eric olthwaite wrote::mrgreen:

talking of mogwai, their new LP is top of the hit parade apparently. even i bought it, i think i last bought a mogwai record in the last century. it's obviously quite good but like the record i bought donkeys ago i'm not sure if it's a bit boring.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:37 pm

Quiffy wrote:talking of mogwai, their new LP is top of the hit parade apparently. even i bought it, i think i last bought a mogwai record in the last century. it's obviously quite good but like the record i bought donkeys ago i'm not sure if it's a bit boring.

Splendid Friday night use of the phrase, Quiffster. :salute:
"Football is not so important that we can't have tolerance of incorrect evaluations."

Still Hates Gordon Watson

Dirty Music

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:12 pm

There’s something quite wonderful about Mogwai being number one in the album charts and I suspect this would have passed me by if it wasn’t for this place so thanks Quiffy.

I finally replaced my burned copy of ‘Come On Die Young’ recently but haven’t listened to the new one yet.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:25 pm

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:40 pm

It's an unbelievably awful thought but given what the likes of Ian Brown and Morrissey among other Mancunian singers have eventually become, my fondness for Ian Curtis only grows with time.

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:40 am

Got a lot of time for his Best Of record. And quite frankly I'd love to see him at Butlins BW :evil: :mrgreen:

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:43 pm

My (sort of) step-nephew (it's complicated) did this.

Not my bag, but might appeal to some.
Member of a clique

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:45 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:My (sort of) step-nephew (it's complicated) did this.

Not my bag either, but it's pretty well done.
:thumbl:
Lovely teeth.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:23 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:My (sort of) step-nephew (it's complicated) did this.

I quite like that.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:36 pm

I loved it.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:55 pm

No, wait, I didn't.

Return to “The Square Ball”