The BAROMETER

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:03 pm

Don't they have a problem with being patronised and called kids, though? :scratch:

Bloody minefield
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:52 pm

Not quite The Barometer, but foreign and of interest, and free on the BBC this year: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55509453

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:30 pm

I see Spurs next opponents in the Europa are RZ Pellets WAC, or Riegler & Zechmeister Pellets Wolfsberger Athletik Club, formally known as Wolfsberg.

So the ‘Red Bull whoever’ cancer is spreading its little wings then.

Toilet Duck Leeds FC, anyone?
Member of a clique

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:42 pm

Fuck me, PSG look in a different class to anyone tonight.

That said, 4th goal is straight out of the Bielsa handbook.

:cheers:
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 pm

Mad how Liverpool are dogshit in the league then turn it up to 11 against serious Euro opposition.
Member of a clique

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:49 pm

Devi wrote:Fuck me, PSG look in a different class to anyone tonight.

Yeah the result is probably kind on Barca

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:57 pm

mmmm julian draxler, not so long ago fancifully linked our way, put it on a platter after taking the ball off messi's toe on the edge of his own box. i think he'd be an acceptable signing if he gets bored of psg's bench.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Quiffy wrote:

mmmm julian draxler, not so long ago fancifully linked our way, put it on a platter after taking the ball off messi's toe on the edge of his own box. i think he'd be an acceptable signing if he gets bored of psg's bench.

Isn't he on a free in the summer? I'm sure he wont be short of an offer or 20.

Arnieb

Postby Arnieb » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:12 am

Barca looked crap last night. I thought Joe Cole and Owen Hargreaves asked the key question afterwards - why would anyone want to sign Messi for footballing reasons. He looks lazy, disinterested at the moment. The best teams play very aggressive formations as they expect their forwards to drop back when needed and press hard when needed) Messi does neither.

If City sign him it will be for marketing reasons

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:37 am

Scum fucked up by not getting Pochettino in and binning off solskjaer

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 am

Arnieb wrote:Barca looked crap last night. I thought Joe Cole and Owen Hargreaves asked the key question afterwards - why would anyone want to sign Messi for footballing reasons. He looks lazy, disinterested at the moment. The best teams play very aggressive formations as they expect their forwards to drop back when needed and press hard when needed) Messi does neither.

Yep imagine the shirt sales

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:49 am

Arnieb wrote:...why would anyone want to sign Messi for footballing reasons. He looks lazy, disinterested at the moment. The best teams play very aggressive formations as they expect their forwards to drop back when needed and press hard when needed) Messi does neither.

well, in fairness, he's now 33, coming up to 34. if you sign him now it's not as the standout best player in the world, it's as a still excellent player who on his best days is still up there with the very best. there's no disgrace in that?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:59 am

the flying pig wrote:
Arnieb wrote:...why would anyone want to sign Messi for footballing reasons. He looks lazy, disinterested at the moment. The best teams play very aggressive formations as they expect their forwards to drop back when needed and press hard when needed) Messi does neither.

well, in fairness, he's now 33, coming up to 34. if you sign him now it's not as the standout best player in the world, it's as a still excellent player who on his best days is still up there with the very best. there's no disgrace in that?

Dunno.
His wages would be ridiculous for the 2-3 years you might get out of him.
He would also very likely be a nightmare to manage, he considers himself to be the Alpha Male in any club.
Still a great player but heading downhill rapidly, that amazing constant acceleration has pretty much gone.
He was the greatest of all time for a long time, imo, but not any more.
His major contribution is marketing now, but I don't know if that would offset his wages.

Vanity signing.
I wouldn't want him at Leeds.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:20 am

Mustafaster wrote:
the flying pig wrote:

Dunno.
His wages would be ridiculous for the 2-3 years you might get out of him.
He would also very likely be a nightmare to manage, he considers himself to be the Alpha Male in any club.
Still a great player but heading downhill rapidly, that amazing constant acceleration has pretty much gone.
He was the greatest of all time for a long time, imo, but not any more.
His major contribution is marketing now, but I don't know if that would offset his wages.

Vanity signing.
I wouldn't want him at Leeds.

well, it's all about the wages, innit, if you sign him expecting to get 2012 messi [or even more risibly, the new xavi, as some of the less grounded of his fanboys have long predicted he'd magically become once his pace deserted him], and pay him accordingly, then more fool you. even on a 1-year contract i'm not sure you could sensibly allow him to carry on being the best paid player in the world, on a longer deal than that then no chance. get him on the [relatively] cheap though and he could surely 'do a job' in the way that suarez is doing at athletico?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:41 pm

just been watching pointless and they asked 'name a team that has been in a european cup/champions league final'

manU scored 66
liverpool 59
villa 10
and the beautiful whites 9
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:46 pm

Quiffy wrote:just been watching pointless and they asked 'name a team that has been in a european cup/champions league final'

manU scored 66
liverpool 59
villa 10

Arsenal, Forest? Didn't come up and weren't pointless I assume?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:44 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Quiffy wrote:just been watching pointless and they asked 'name a team that has been in a european cup/champions league final'

manU scored 66
liverpool 59
villa 10

Arsenal, Forest? Didn't come up and weren't pointless I assume?

i think it says something when richard osman didn't even mention them. :lol:

Bobbycollins

Postby Bobbycollins » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:46 pm

I had to look this up as I'd entirely forgotten/refused to believe that Arsenal had been in the Champions League final. Clearly a typically memorable Arsenal event.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Didn't Chelsea win it just a few years ago?
Not there either?

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:14 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Didn't Chelsea win it just a few years ago?
Not there either?

probably there but not worth a mention. unlike leeds united.

fair play to richard osman, he's a football fan, a fulham fan so he'd have subtly enjoyed not mentioning chelsea or the arse. but then again leeds and villa are probably the most surprising answers there for the majority of people watching the show.

Return to “The Square Ball”