The BAROMETER

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Good work on saving the planet too.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:They are saying that Arse Armenian can't even play there. That seems like a good reason to have disqualified them in the first place.


Seriously? Fucking hell.

I honestly wouldn’t have thought that Azerbaijan was even in Europe before this final.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 pm

Eddies Boots wrote:Exactly - why is it even being held in the back-end of nowhere? .


The Europa League final tours the backwaters of UEFA, its bit like a runners up prize for cities/countries that will never host the Champions League final. The final has been held in Sweden a few times, next year is in Gdansk. Azerbaijan is a Eiropean member of UEFA and like any other member they have a right to arrange the final.

It's not odd that Baku got the final. Its fucked up that Chelsea and Arsenal got less than 10% of the tickets per club.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri May 31, 2019 3:47 pm

The final is available to watch free for those with Virgin, channel 100 for HD, 532 for 4K. Otherwise free online via youtube.

User avatar
AndyPaul
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:27 am
Location: Middlesbrough

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby AndyPaul » Fri May 31, 2019 4:06 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:The final is available to watch free for those with Virgin, channel 100 for HD, 532 for 4K. Otherwise free online via youtube.


I have to say have absolutely no interest in this. Liverpool vs Spurs. It's all a bit meh.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 31, 2019 4:25 pm

jackos wrote:Azerbaijan is a Eiropean member of UEFA and like any other member they have a right to arrange the final.

It's not odd that Baku got the final.


You say all that but I'd have said that Arse having to leave a first team player out for fears over his personal safety, and then that I saw reports saying hardly any disabled fans were allowed to go because there are no fucking accessible hotels in Baku, should pretty much rule it out as an option.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:You say all that but I'd have said that Arse having to leave a first team player out for fears over his personal safety, and then that I saw reports saying hardly any disabled fans were allowed to go because there are no fucking accessible hotels in Baku, should pretty much rule it out as an option.


That wasn't really the question was it. It was why it was being held in Azerbaijan, it was in Azerbaijan because the country is part of Europe and a member of UEFA. London isn't the centre of Europe even if a lot of folks who live there might like to think it is.

The politics is a different subject, I'd ban Turkish clubs from Europe of it were up to me, wouldn't make the ban right. A lot of London papers would have had you believe holding a WC was a death sentence as well, but it was held there anyway. Hotels and prices are a problem everywhere there is a major event.

Not idea what the situation is for disabled fans across Europe, but ER is hardly perfect.

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Tycipa » Fri May 31, 2019 4:54 pm

jackos wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:You say all that but I'd have said that Arse having to leave a first team player out for fears over his personal safety, and then that I saw reports saying hardly any disabled fans were allowed to go because there are no fucking accessible hotels in Baku, should pretty much rule it out as an option.


That wasn't really the question was it. It was why it was being held in Azerbaijan, it was in Azerbaijan because the country is part of Europe and a member of UEFA. London isn't the centre of Europe even if a lot of folks who live there might like to think it is.

The politics is a different subject, I'd ban Turkish clubs from Europe of it were up to me, wouldn't make the ban right. A lot of London papers would have had you believe holding a WC was a death sentence as well, but it was held there anyway. Hotels and prices are a problem everywhere there is a major event.

Not idea what the situation is for disabled fans across Europe, but ER is hardly perfect.

Azerbaijan wouldn’t be in “Europe” if it didn’t have oil, gas and a host of other natural resources.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Fri May 31, 2019 6:28 pm

Tycipa wrote:Azerbaijan wouldn’t be in “Europe” if it didn’t have oil, gas and a host of other natural resources.


The border between Europe and Asia was defined by a Swedish officer (Philip Johan Von Strahlenberg) in the first half of the 18th Century, so I doubt oil had anything to do with it.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 31, 2019 6:29 pm

jackos wrote:
Tycipa wrote:Azerbaijan wouldn’t be in “Europe” if it didn’t have oil, gas and a host of other natural resources.


The border between Europe and Asia was defined by a Swedish officer (Philip Johan Von Strahlenberg) in the first half of the 18th Century, so I doubt oil had anything to do with it.

Pointy slippers, however...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Fri May 31, 2019 6:32 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Pointy slippers, however...


How would anyone know they were European Muslims if they didn’t have pointy slippers?

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Tycipa » Fri May 31, 2019 7:53 pm

jackos wrote:
Tycipa wrote:Azerbaijan wouldn’t be in “Europe” if it didn’t have oil, gas and a host of other natural resources.


The border between Europe and Asia was defined by a Swedish officer (Philip Johan Von Strahlenberg) in the first half of the 18th Century, so I doubt oil had anything to do with it.

Azerbaijan’s natural resources have been known since the Silk Road was being used, the Russian Empire grabbed Az from the Persians circa 250 years ago, oil and its buffer status between the Ruskies and Muslim countries to its south being strategically important, ergo it became Europe irrespective of the fact the ethnicity is ostensibly Persian.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 31, 2019 8:26 pm

jackos wrote:How would anyone know they were European Muslims if they didn’t have pointy slippers?


Massive tolerance of intolerable bullshit?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 31, 2019 8:57 pm

The definition of the ‘border’ between Europe and Asia doesn’t really appear to have a single definition to this day. Azerbaijan is one four countries described as transcontinental. That’s enough for me to think ‘fuck ‘em’

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Tycipa wrote:Azerbaijan’s natural resources have been known since the Silk Road was being used, the Russian Empire grabbed Az from the Persians circa 250 years ago, oil and its buffer status between the Ruskies and Muslim countries to its south being strategically important, ergo it became Europe irrespective of the fact the ethnicity is ostensibly Persian.


The region is strategically important because it's the gateway between Europe and Asia, buffer if you like, clearly that's important. Good you recognise that Geography is important. Azerbaijan is part of Europe, has been recognised as such since the early 1700s and is a member of UEFA.

User avatar
Tycipa
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Tycipa » Fri May 31, 2019 10:12 pm

jackos wrote:
Tycipa wrote:Azerbaijan’s natural resources have been known since the Silk Road was being used, the Russian Empire grabbed Az from the Persians circa 250 years ago, oil and its buffer status between the Ruskies and Muslim countries to its south being strategically important, ergo it became Europe irrespective of the fact the ethnicity is ostensibly Persian.


The region is strategically important because it's the gateway between Europe and Asia, buffer if you like, clearly that's important. Good you recognise that Geography is important. Azerbaijan is part of Europe, has been recognised as such since the early 1700s and is a member of UEFA.


Ekaterinburg is in Russia yet is in Asia and in 2020 will host the European Sambo Championship (Sambo is a martial art btw) so go figure. Convicts in the Eurovision, Israel in the Euro footy...you’ll be telling me next Mick Mcarthy’s an Irishman :mrgreen:
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:37 am

Tycipa wrote:Ekaterinburg is in Russia yet is in Asia and in 2020 will host the European Sambo Championship (Sambo is a martial art btw) so go figure. Convicts in the Eurovision, Israel in the Euro footy...you’ll be telling me next Mick Mcarthy’s an Irishman :mrgreen:


I didn't decide where the internationally accepted boundary between Europe and Asia is, that's in Geography books. Euroasia is one continent, we're all one people, we're all different. Boundaries, borders, loyalties, religion and borders all change. London was the centre of "The" Empire. Tamworth was the Capital of Merica. California was part of Mexico. Folks in England used to pray to 12 Roman gods, and SimonB used to be a member of the Tory party. Things change. Scotland is currently part of the UK, the UK part of the EU, and Azerbaijan is one of 51 European states. Like Turkey, Russia and a few other countries its also partly in Asia, we know that already, it's in our Geography books :thumbl:

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby the flying pig » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:04 am

This reminds me, I was once in a pub quiz where they had the question, 'what's the highest altitude capital city in Europe?'. My initial first choice answer was Andorra's, but didn't write this down, partly because I reckoned it'd be too much of a pisspot place to count, mostly because I couldn't remember the name of the capital city. Settled for writing Ankara, which I felt fairly certain was, at the least, higher than any of the traditional 'old Europe' cities, and whilst (unlike Istanbul) Ankara is geographically in Asia I felt sure it'd count as a 'European capital'. Wanted to throttle the quizmaster when he announced Madrid as his answer.

London_White
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: exiled in west sussex

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby London_White » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:22 am

Think maybe the point has been a bit missed here. They chose a city that couldn't handle more than 15,000 air passengers in a day, with no direct flights from UK, France, Italy Spain or Germany (countries most ikely to provide the finalists) and where by their own admission there was not enough suitable hotel accommodation within 60km, they even suggested looking at campsites and uni dormitories. No UEFA member should be denied the right to bid for the final but they should be able to meet basic criteria. It all just stinks of more money changing hands. Maybe the Faroes should have the next one?

User avatar
jackos
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:29 am

London_White wrote:Think maybe the point has been a bit missed here.


Not at all. My original point was that the Europa League final is a bit of consolation prize for countries that are unlikely to ever host the European Cup/Champions League final. Until the mid-90ies it was played over two legs home and away. The bigger clubs never really cared about it, which meant teams from countries like Sweden could win it. The final has been played in cities like Gothenburg and Baku, next season it'll be in Gadansk.
It has little to do with "chasing money" and everything to do with everyone getting the opportunity to arrange a final. When this one was arranged no-one knew two English clubs would be in the final.

Premier League clubs only started to give a fuck after UEFA decided to give the winner a place in the Champions League, it's great that they are now showing an interest, just sad they then moan and bitch because the final is played in places that are too far from London, before heading off on their pre/post-season tour on the other side of the planet to keep their billionaire owners happy.


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests