The BAROMETER

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 08, 2019 9:09 pm

Yep, great stuff. I've never quite understood the purpose of the away goals rule, but it does a good job creating knife edges like that. Ajax super unlucky but even then they let themselves down by going to ground after the fourth spurs goal, there was time for a winner.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 pm

Tycipa wrote:Stick your corporate CL up your arse UEFA...

from the BBC

Liverpool have been allocated 16,613 tickets for the Champions League final in Madrid, approximately 24% of the Estadio Metropolitano's capacity.

The cheapest are £60, but only account for 20% of the Reds' allocation, with 54% of tickets priced at £154, 21% at £385 and 5% at £513

That is fucking ridiculous, and deserves a boycott but you know people will be fighting over them. I know I'd happily pay 513 quid to watch Leeds in a CL final, which I suppose makes me part of the problem...

And all that so Yeboah and his kids can drink champagne for free in the posh seats :mrgreen: 8)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed May 08, 2019 9:23 pm

The only sour aspect for me is that Nihal Arthanayake is a Spurs fan and will no doubt be an even more massive cunt than usual tomorrow. Thank God Mrs DL is going into hospital for a couple of days so I have other things to concern me. [She'll be fine - it's routine.]

Poch seems a nice fellah.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Wed May 08, 2019 9:28 pm

dirty leeds wrote:

Poch seems a nice fellah.

Been around Biesla too much :thumbl:

Tommy

The BAROMETER

Postby Tommy » Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 pm

Fucking hell, either Spurs or Liverpool will be the European Champions and they can’t both fuck it up. What a time to be alive.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Wed May 08, 2019 9:52 pm

That touch from Ali for the winner :shock: :salute:
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu May 09, 2019 6:09 am

Tommy wrote:Fucking hell, either Spurs or Liverpool will be the European Champions and they can’t both fuck it up. What a time to be alive.

Odds on Arsenal or Chelscum will lift the Europa too...

Fair reflection of PL quality? Or making a mockery of other euro leagues?
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu May 09, 2019 6:20 am

Devi wrote:Odds on Arsenal or Chelscum will lift the Europa too...

Fair reflection of PL quality? Or making a mockery of other euro leagues?

Something to do with weakness in the other leagues? Barcelona and Real teams past their best, Italy everyone crap except Juve and they blew it, Germany a bit meh?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 am

It's always the way. There has never been a period when all the leagues were great at the same time, each with several top teams operating at their peak. Best you can hope for is a couple of the leagues having one great side, who then meet at the end.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 10, 2019 2:47 pm

Looking at the prices and allocations for the two finals ...
Fuck me!
UEFA and fifa have to be the two biggest crooked scammers on the planet.
They're totally out of control, no kind of oversight or regulation.
Elite footie eh?
Dunno if I want us to go up.

Glorious defeat in the play off final will do nicely.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Still Hates Gordon Watson

The BAROMETER

Postby Still Hates Gordon Watson » Fri May 10, 2019 2:59 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Elite footie eh?

I said this some time ago and the various stories about this over the past few days have only hardened that view.
If that’s what top level football means then you can keep it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Chieftain626

Postby Chieftain626 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:46 pm

make sense why the top clubs would want the closed shop and access to the money. the one quote that sticks out is

“The objective of football is to give happiness to fans, and to give happiness is to have a chance of winning,” said Bernard Caiazzo

which makes me feel like football has lost its way. the fans are an after thought to the large corporations running world football. hence the awful ticket allocations for the finals.

if this new champions league and Europa cup format comes to pass then domestic competitions will fall by the way side.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 10, 2019 3:52 pm

If we could persuade the 'top clubs' to fuck off into a Euro Mega Ultra League, surviving on TV deals and shirt sales in Kuala Lumpur, honestly I'd favour that.

Could have an internally competitive top flight and a new low grade Fairs Cup / Inter-twobob where we can play Universitatea Craiova, and everything would be right in the world for me.

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Yep they can fuck off, see how many away fans they'll get at games after the novelty has worn off.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 10, 2019 4:04 pm

I doubt most clubs would really wants a closed shop, certainly the English ones - doing away with the 'race' for top four places would seriously devalue the PL, whose tv rights are still worth many times those of the CL. I'd be less confident, though, when it comes to those countries whose domestic leagues have already, mostly due to a lack of competition, gone to shite, which I suppose is, well, near enough all of them.

Having a tough to crack (though by no means impregnable) top six isn't ideal but it still does provides a fair bit of competition. Monopoly (see France, Germany, Holland, Scotland, Italy) is a word with strong negative connotations, so, just about, is duopoly (Spain and Portugal are somewhere between this and I suppose 'triopoly'), but six competitors, y'know, is that so bad...?

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Fri May 10, 2019 4:20 pm

the flying pig wrote:I doubt most clubs would really wants a closed shop, certainly the English one - doing away with the 'race' for top four places would seriously devalue the PL, whose tv rights are still worth many times those of the CL. I'd be less confident, though, when it comes to those countries whose domestic leagues have already, mostly due to a lack of competition, gone to shite, which I suppose is, well, near enough all of them.

Having a tough to crack (though by no means impregnable) top six isn't ideal but it still does provides a fair bit of competition. Monopoly (see France, Germany, Holland, Scotland, Italy) is a word with strong negative connotations, so, just about, is duopoly (Spain and Portugal are somewhere between this and I suppose 'Brooklyn's), but six competitors, y'know, is that so bad...?

Suppose with the right financial (yeah I know) management one of the other big fanbase clubs could eventually break in to the 6 if they can maintain Prem status for 10 years straaight.
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:I doubt most clubs would really wants a closed shop, certainly the English one - doing away with the 'race' for top four places would seriously devalue the PL, whose tv rights are still worth many times those of the CL.

I see this as a misreading of the situation, personally. TV rights are a function of repetition, familiarity with teams and match frequency. Presently, PL teams play 30-odd games. The TV revenue per team for a European super league team playing 30-odd games would, I imagine, be more per game.

the flying pig wrote:I'd be less confident, though, when it comes to those countries whose domestic leagues have already, mostly due to a lack of competition, gone to shite, which I suppose is, well, near enough all of them.

Scum just had their shittest season in however long and are in sixth - nine points ahead of Wolves. They've been absolute dogwank and yet practically unassailable for two months. That's a competitive improvement on countries overseas is it?

the flying pig wrote:but six competitors, y'know, is that so bad...?

Yes. Yes, it is. Key factoid in that NYT article was the top six being identical for three seasons. That's not a competition in any meaningful sense.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Looking at the prices and allocations for the two finals ...
Fuck me!
UEFA and fifa have to be the two biggest crooked scammers on the planet.
They're totally out of control, no kind of oversight or regulation.
Elite footie eh?

Glorious defeat in the play off final will do nicely.

I’ve only just seen that it’s 6k per team in Baku. And apparently UEFA’s justification for this is that Baku is quite difficult to get to, so they don’t expect many to try. Christ.

Eddies Boots

Postby Eddies Boots » Fri May 10, 2019 9:37 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
I’ve only just seen that it’s 6k per team in Baku. And apparently UEFA’s justification for this is that Baku is quite difficult to get to, so they don’t expect many to try. Christ.

Exactly - why is it even being held in the back-end of nowhere? [Money, no doubt.]
They are saying that Arse Armenian can't even play there. That seems like a good reason to have disqualified them in the first place.

Return to “The Square Ball”