The BAROMETER

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
dirty leeds

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:14 am

Mustafaster wrote:Not trying to underplay Spuds achievement, but they shouldn't start getting the bunting out just yet.
The first goal was offside and this Madrid side is notoriously fragile atm. They lost to Girona at the weekend and are 8 points off the pace in La Liga.

A good win against an out-of-sorts team does not European champions make.

All fair enough, Musta - the Girona thing is well known here, as well as their form in general. But there are a lot of great players in that team still and it's a step up for an English side at any time to go to Madrid and deserve to win, and follow it up with a resounding victory at home. Yes, the first goal was offside, but Spurs deserved a two goal victory of any sort, however it came about. You don't often see an English team knocking it about and getting the 'ole' against RM. They did make 'em look shite for a period in the second half.
Best thing for Spurs is now they won't have any fear whoever they play. They may still get a spanking at some point soon and not even go beyond the quarters, but at least it's another step upwards for them - and with English players at the heart of it.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Spurs, eh. Oh what could have been had we been run properly.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:11 pm

Mr Reality wrote:Pochettino is basically doing southgate a massive favour especially and it's compounded with the other side's who play a back 3.

? Probably Pickford
? Stones Cahill
Walker winks dier rose
Alli ?
Kane

That should the basis of the team. You could maybe put dier at the back and play another midfielder.

The challenge comes for Southgate in leaving out players who the media will be desperate to see shoe horned in such as rashford.

If they want a case study you only need to look at the last world cup Liverpool had just had a brilliant season with 6 English players in the starting 11. But rather than playing their club system hodgson bowed to the media to shoe horn an extra attacker which unbalanced the team leaving Gerrard in a two man midfield.

you know what, i fully agree with you.

rashford and sterling are the two basically who he'll want to cram in somehow, not without good reason really when you think about how few BAROMETER level players england actually have.

but a big mistake, as you say. well, maybe. it's about consistency. you cannot play dele alli plus two strikers or even alli in a team with a main striker plus one or more winger-strikers, you just can't, unless maybe against bobbins opposition, it unbalances everything. he's very good as a number 10 but deep or even box to box he's sub jordan henderson, wide he's sub sterling etc. the manager needs to choose between rashford [in some sort of 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 variant] & alli [in some sort of 4-3-2-1 or 3-4-2-1, 4-4-1-1, etc variant].

i do think that it ought to be just about possible to play sterling in a sort of central role, as the more advanced of your two question marks.

let's face it, when the going gets tough we'll line up as something horrendous like:

hart
walker-jones-cahill-rose
dier
hendo [or winks or rooney or drinkwater or whoever]
rashford-alli-sterling
kane

and get hideously outnumbered in midfield as usual.

easyone

Postby easyone » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:but a big mistake, as you say. well, maybe. it's about consistency. you cannot play dele alli plus two strikers or even alli in a team with a main striker plus one or more winger-strikers, you just can't, unless maybe against bobbins opposition, it unbalances everything. he's very good as a number 10 but deep or even box to box he's sub jordan henderson, wide he's sub sterling etc. the manager needs to choose between rashford [in some sort of 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 variant] & alli [in some sort of 4-3-2-1 or 3-4-2-1, 4-4-1-1, etc variant]

I actually thought Alli was fantastic in a deep midfield role against Liverpool, and generally can look better there. Someone made a point on one of the footy podcasts I fill my week with that Alli is either good deep in midfield or right up as a second striker, but when he's asked to be a creative no.10 type (the way England seem to play him basically) he flounders.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:41 pm

easyone wrote:
the flying pig wrote:but a big mistake, as you say. well, maybe. it's about consistency. you cannot play dele alli plus two strikers or even alli in a team with a main striker plus one or more winger-strikers, you just can't, unless maybe against bobbins opposition, it unbalances everything. he's very good as a number 10 but deep or even box to box he's sub jordan henderson, wide he's sub sterling etc. the manager needs to choose between rashford [in some sort of 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 variant] & alli [in some sort of 4-3-2-1 or 3-4-2-1, 4-4-1-1, etc variant]

I actually thought Alli was fantastic in a deep midfield role against Liverpool, and generally can look better there. Someone made a point on one of the footy podcasts I fill my week with that Alli is either good deep in midfield or right up as a second striker, but when he's asked to be a creative no.10 type (the way England seem to play him basically) he flounders.

sorry, i meant number 10 as in second striker. i don't really agree he's proved himself playing deep. and as for playing wide [a la scholes or lampard for England]...

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:11 pm

So Patrice Evra, then... we are looking for a LB who can kick with his left foot. :mrgreen:

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:37 am

the flying pig wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Pochettino is basically doing southgate a massive favour especially and it's compounded with the other side's who play a back 3.

? Probably Pickford
? Stones Cahill
Walker winks dier rose
Alli ?
Kane

That should the basis of the team. You could maybe put dier at the back and play another midfielder.

The challenge comes for Southgate in leaving out players who the media will be desperate to see shoe horned in such as rashford.

If they want a case study you only need to look at the last world cup Liverpool had just had a brilliant season with 6 English players in the starting 11. But rather than playing their club system hodgson bowed to the media to shoe horn an extra attacker which unbalanced the team leaving Gerrard in a two man midfield.

you know what, i fully agree with you.

rashford and sterling are the two basically who he'll want to cram in somehow, not without good reason really when you think about how few BAROMETER level players england actually have.

but a big mistake, as you say. well, maybe. it's about consistency. you cannot play dele alli plus two strikers or even alli in a team with a main striker plus one or more winger-strikers, you just can't, unless maybe against bobbins opposition, it unbalances everything. he's very good as a number 10 but deep or even box to box he's sub jordan henderson, wide he's sub sterling etc. the manager needs to choose between rashford [in some sort of 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 variant] & alli [in some sort of 4-3-2-1 or 3-4-2-1, 4-4-1-1, etc variant].

i do think that it ought to be just about possible to play sterling in a sort of central role, as the more advanced of your two question marks.

let's face it, when the going gets tough we'll line up as something horrendous like:

hart
walker-jones-cahill-rose
dier
hendo [or winks or rooney or drinkwater or whoever]
rashford-alli-sterling
kane

and get hideously outnumbered in midfield as usual.

I actually think either sterling or rashford could play in a a fluid front 3 ( 2 up 1 behind, 1 up two wide or narrow) with alli and kane. There are few other options too.

But we just need to see some balls from the manager realising that it's not all about putting the big stars in. If he has to leave somebody on the bench he needs to have the guts to do it.

As you see we are more likely to see something ridiculous like that side you post and then people will be moaning about being battered without the ball.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Not sure where else to put this, but I reckon Robinho’s fucked.

As it were.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42103736
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:38 pm

Spurs were a pleasure to watch tonight against Juventus.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:32 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Spurs were a pleasure to watch tonight against Juventus.

Yeah, really really confident, quick, calm. They’re brilliant Spurs. The bastards.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Aye, very good from Spurs, they didn’t fold after that poor start.
The weakest two Spuds were Dier and Davies. If they truly want to regularly be at the top of the pile they need to upgrade those two.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:29 am

Tycipa wrote:Aye, very good from Spurs, they didn’t fold after that poor start.
The weakest two Spuds were Dier and Davies. If they truly want to regularly be at the top of the pile they need to upgrade those two.

I thought the RB was poor too, but they have Trippier, so they won't be worried. Ball retention in midfield was superb. Juventus shouldn't have sat back so much after going two up. It's understandable that they played it a bit tighter - they are good at staying ahead - but they pretty much gave up on posing any kind of forward threat in the rest of the first half until that pen right at the end. They should have done more of that. Spurs dominated as a result. Nice to see.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Tycipa wrote:Aye, very good from Spurs, they didn’t fold after that poor start.

I thought the RB was poor too, but they have Trippier, so they won't be worried. Ball retention in midfield was superb. Juventus shouldn't have sat back so much after going two up. It's understandable that they played it a bit tighter - they are good at staying ahead - but they pretty much gave up on posing any kind of forward threat in the rest of the first half until that pen right at the end. They should have done more of that. Spurs dominated as a result. Nice to see.

Bin Dippers or RM vs PSG tonight, can’t make my mind up which game to watch!

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 am

Think I'll go bin dipping.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:15 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Think I'll go bin dipping.

Nah.
PSG / RM should be a cracker.
All that talent on show and RM have to get something out of it. Their season is on the point of imploding.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Return to “The Square Ball”