The BAROMETER

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
jackos

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby jackos » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:55 pm

the flying pig wrote:
arsenal fan i sit opposite at work reckoned that most of them see this competition as a bit of a joke, as well they might, i suppose, having been in the BAROMETER every year since well before the days of DOL's babies.

they only see it as a joke because all their performances in it have been laughable

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 am

the flying pig wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Get the impression that the ticketless were able to get a few thousand tickets off touts or from other Arse fans.

That's piss poor, to be honest.

arsenal fan i sit opposite at work reckoned that most of them see this competition as a bit of a joke, as well they might, i suppose, having been in the BAROMETER every year since well before the days of DOL's babies.

Essentially Arse fans have a massive sense of entitlement on the back of having actually achieved fuck all. They're a sad set of bastards.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:34 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Essentially Arse fans have a massive sense of entitlement on the back of having actually achieved fuck all. They're a sad set of bastards.

Well, not really fuck all, tbf. Thirteen league titles [inc three Prems], thirteen FA Cups, a couple of League Cups... but no Barometer. They've never really looked like winning it either, which is their real failure, despite reaching the final. I quite like watching them on telly sometimes but they do always seem a bit lightweight for the ultimate tests.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 am

Some great images coming from Ashburton Grove last night.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:25 am

dirty leeds wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Essentially Arse fans have a massive sense of entitlement on the back of having actually achieved fuck all. They're a sad set of bastards.

Well, not really fuck all, tbf. Thirteen league titles [inc three Prems], thirteen FA Cups, a couple of League Cups... but no Barometer. They've never really looked like winning it either, which is their real failure, despite reaching the final. I quite like watching them on telly sometimes but they do always seem a bit lightweight for the ultimate tests.

Well alright, let me rephrase that. Over a similar timescale to that which we've been out of the Prem, they've consistently failed to meet their own targets.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:40 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:

Well alright, let me rephrase that. Over a similar timescale to that which we've been out of the Prem, they've consistently failed to meet their own targets.

I'll allow it.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:

agreed, though their targets are very lofty.

over all-time, they've been hugely more successful than 89 of the other 91 league clubs.

in recent years they've 'only' been better than i suppose 88 of the 91 others.

this line peddled by some of their fans that this makes them 'long suffering' or 'loyal to the point of [.]' or whatever doesn't even register with me, it's just toddlerish babybabble.

jackos

Postby jackos » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:25 am

the flying pig wrote:it's just toddlerish babybabble.

As is their reaction to last night .. quoting a mate who doesn't support them but has a season ticket and goes with his missus .....

"Yes surreal. UTA were “angry” How dare they etc"

PL in't it :shock: :mrgreen:

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:57 am

Other than the odd bit of scuffle here and there it all went off without any trouble (which says something about the Aresnal fans not wading in - mind you the odds were bit stacked).
Can't see that being the case if any British team had done the same abroad.
A peaceful invasion then. Veni, vidi, vici (or at least made we a point, had a good time and didn't wreck the place) or whatever it would be in German.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:09 am

Tycipa wrote:Other than the odd bit of scuffle here and there it all went off without any trouble (which says something about the Aresnal fans not wading in - mind you the odds were bit stacked).
Can't see that being the case if any British team had done the same abroad.
A peaceful invasion then. Veni, vidi, vici (or at least made we a point, had a good time and didn't wreck the place) or whatever it would be in German.

Indeed.
Compare with Leicester supporters trashing the main square in Madrid singing
Fuck off you Spanish bastards Gibraltar is ours.

Don't suppose the Horst Vessel was heard in Oxford Street.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:39 pm

First half of RM vs Spurs, er wow just wow.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Aye, Spuds done well. Expect RM to win in the end, but enjoying the fact that Spuds now fancy it a bit.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Excellent entertainment. Spuds could easily have won that.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:44 pm

What a great game of football that was.
Watch a Spanish station and throughout the game CR7 was referred to as Christian Nhhhhhoe as if every time he touched the ball he was going to do the most amazing thing. Sycophantic bastards :mrgreen:
Danny Rose came on and I didn’t recognise him. He’s grown a beard and has mid length dreads. He looks like Lenny Henry’s smaller brother!

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:38 pm

Just watched Spurs murder Real Madrid. Very pleasant to see a team with 5 English players [at kick-off] make them look so ordinary. Ramos losing his rag was funny, too.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:31 pm

Yeah, I'd like to watch highlights but can't really face staying up to watch something that *starts* at 2315 and potentially goes on until much later.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:33 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Just watched Spurs murder Real Madrid. Very pleasant to see a team with 5 English players [at kick-off] make them look so ordinary. Ramos losing his rag was funny, too.

Re the number of English players, the daft thing is that, aside from the admittedly nontrivial matters of an incomparably better keeper and an incomparably better ball playing midfielder (eriksen) than England can 'boast', England can actually put out an xi that's player for player a little stronger than that spurs team, no doubt about it.

Mr Reality

Postby Mr Reality » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:54 am

Pochettino is basically doing southgate a massive favour especially and it's compounded with the other side's who play a back 3.

? Probably Pickford
? Stones Cahill
Walker winks dier rose
Alli ?
Kane

That should the basis of the team. You could maybe put dier at the back and play another midfielder.

The challenge comes for Southgate in leaving out players who the media will be desperate to see shoe horned in such as rashford.

If they want a case study you only need to look at the last world cup Liverpool had just had a brilliant season with 6 English players in the starting 11. But rather than playing their club system hodgson bowed to the media to shoe horn an extra attacker which unbalanced the team leaving Gerrard in a two man midfield.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 am

Mr Reality wrote:Pochettino is basically doing southgate a massive favour especially and it's compounded with the other side's who play a back 3.

? Probably Pickford
? Stones Cahill
Walker winks dier rose
Alli ?
Kane

That should the basis of the team. You could maybe put dier at the back and play another midfielder.

The challenge comes for Southgate in leaving out players who the media will be desperate to see shoe horned in such as rashford.

If they want a case study you only need to look at the last world cup Liverpool had just had a brilliant season with 6 English players in the starting 11. But rather than playing their club system hodgson bowed to the media to shoe horn an extra attacker which unbalanced the team leaving Gerrard in a two man midfield.

Agree with that. Whenever the opportunity presents itself to take a large chunk of a club side and make it the basis for the England team, they should pretty much always go for it, imo. Walker was at Spurs so long that obviously helps too. The more like the club side we are the more it makes up for our other deficiencies against the best nations. I just hope Southgate is as impressed by Spurs' demolition of the European Champions as the rest of us seem to be.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:46 am

dirty leeds wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Pochettino is basically doing southgate a massive favour especially and it's compounded with the other side's who play a back 3.

? Probably Pickford
? Stones Cahill
Walker winks dier rose
Alli ?
Kane

Agree with that. Whenever the opportunity presents itself to take a large chunk of a club side and make it the basis for the England team, they should pretty much always go for it, imo. Walker was at Spurs so long that obviously helps too. The more like the club side we are the more it makes up for our other deficiencies against the best nations. I just hope Southgate is as impressed by Spurs' demolition of the European Champions as the rest of us seem to be.

Not trying to underplay Spuds achievement, but they shouldn't start getting the bunting out just yet.
The first goal was offside and this Madrid side is notoriously fragile atm. They lost to Girona at the weekend and are 8 points off the pace in La Liga.

A good win against an out-of-sorts team does not European champions make.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Return to “The Square Ball”