The BAROMETER

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Eddies Boots

Re: The BAROMETER

Postby Eddies Boots » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:24 am

I am never sure about Neymar - he has had some blinding games for Barca, but my opinion is always clouded by the last WC.
But even then, the rest of the forwards in that Brazil squad were awful, so maybe that was not down to him.

And yes, he is young enough to move, get paid, and get status - so no surprise really.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:29 am

Mr Reality wrote:Would be hard pressed not to include neymar in a top 10.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there but he'd not get in a world's best starting 11. He's not in the top 3 forwards.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:42 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Mr Reality wrote:Would be hard pressed not to include neymar in a top 10.

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you there but he'd not get in a world's best starting 11. He's not in the top 3 forwards.

Top ten but not top three. Fantastic on his day, but he's inconsistent, goes long periods not doing very much. Given to sulking when things don't go his way.

But it's not just about how good he is, is it?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Vampire

Postby Vampire » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:27 am

AndyPaul wrote:So this Neymar to PSG deal looks like it could be a goer! It's absolutely fucking mental the money they are talking about.

Thing is Neymar is a great player but I'm not convinced I'd put him down as in my top 10 in the world.

Madness if this goes through

330M transfer deal and Neymar on 1.3M a week. Lucky for him he's not moving to a UK club or he'd fall foul of Comrade Corbyn's upper pay limit policy!
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

easyone

Postby easyone » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am

Mustafaster wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Top ten but not top three. Fantastic on his day, but he's inconsistent, goes long periods not doing very much. Given to sulking when things don't go his way.

Can't say I've ever really noticed this - he gets absolutely battered by defenders, much more than Messi, and takes it like a champ most of the time. Doesn't do it every game, but his performances at crunch time in Champions League games have been outstanding. Obviously the PSG game but a few in the season they won it were incredible too

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:29 am

easyone wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Top ten but not top three. Fantastic on his day, but he's inconsistent, goes long periods not doing very much. Given to sulking when things don't go his way.

Can't say I've ever really noticed this - he gets absolutely battered by defenders, much more than Messi, and takes it like a champ most of the time. Doesn't do it every game, but his performances at crunch time in Champions League games have been outstanding. Obviously the PSG game but a few in the season they won it were incredible too

yeah, he is very good. only downside really may be that aged only 25 he has a lot of miles on the clock, c 500 pro games under his belt, most of them as a [to varying extent] marked man, i should certainly think he's peaked already & wonder how long of his very best form he has left.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:02 pm

Well, it might not be happening, just yet.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:26 pm

FER wrote:Well, it might not be happening, just yet.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.
La Liga arguing that PSG is effectively a state-owned club.
They have a point.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
FER wrote:Well, it might not be happening, just yet.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.
La Liga arguing that PSG is effectively a state-owned club.
They have a point.

Seems Barca have taken the payment directly.

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:01 pm

Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:17 pm

in an alternative universe where APOEL decided not to sack TC, he'd be swapping the top of the championship for a match at Real Madrid tonight. sliding doors and all that.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 pm

I have this growing sense that we've lucked out with this one. About time, you'd say.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:25 pm

That's some away support, and just under 3,000 tickets allocated to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41271874

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Tycipa wrote:That's some away support, and just under 3,000 tickets allocated to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41271874

if support is the 12th man as they claim then the 7/1 odds on cologne to win are pretty juicy.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:11 pm

Yeah, my office in central London is quite a few hundred metres from where I think the cologne fans were drinking but 'on the wind', through very thick glass, I could occasionally hear a waft of their singing.

LukeC

Postby LukeC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm

All kicking off at The Emirates....

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 pm

Part of me thinks this is really impressive from the germans but I just know if that was us going away to some German side there would be calls to expel us from the competition.

I'm reminded how ace it was seeing a load of Leeds in the Donny end at Wembley. So long as they're not violent (I know some are but seems the minority and within the away end) I don't have too much trouble with the natives feeling intimidated, let them ask questions of their own club/policing/stewarding.

Three bit I do take exception to is the ticketless trying to get in/those in the home end trying to break into the away end.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Get the impression that the ticketless were able to get a few thousand tickets off touts or from other Arse fans.

That's piss poor, to be honest.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:44 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Get the impression that the ticketless were able to get a few thousand tickets off touts or from other Arse fans.

That's piss poor, to be honest.

arsenal fan i sit opposite at work reckoned that most of them see this competition as a bit of a joke, as well they might, i suppose, having been in the BAROMETER every year since well before the days of DOL's babies.

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:53 pm

Arsenal only gave Cologne 2900 tickets, less than 5% of the capacity, don't blame the Germans for trying to get tickets in the home end. Arsenal can blame themselves for the fuckup

Return to “The Square Ball”