o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:24 pm

FER wrote:So, Toyota Avensis 2.0 Diesel. Should I or shouldn't I? I really want to.

They're not too uncomfortable, as taxis go.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

topbin

Postby topbin » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:41 pm

AndyPaul wrote:
FER wrote:So, Toyota Avensis 2.0 Diesel. Should I or shouldn't I? I really want to.

Only ever had Fords but admittedly that is a smart looking car, don't really know much about the Avensis but it is pretty.

My Dad had one of those - it didn't seem to cause him any problems.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:09 pm

AndyPaul wrote:

Only ever had Fords but admittedly that is a smart looking car, don't really know much about the Avensis but it is pretty.

If the ugliest cunt on the planet fell out the ugly tree, hit every branch on the way down then dropped a turd, the turd would be an Avensis.

My brother had the diesel and I think he averaged 55mpg. I guess if you're sat inside it, you're not looking at the outside. :thumbl:
HM Collector Of Parcels

PETER O'POOLE

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:04 pm

More Details required for good honest advice....... Year, mileage, history, exact model etc.

You see, they all leave the showroom in the same new condition, but from day one every single one is different as it slides into depreciation, and its the life it lives that determines whether its going to be a good buy or not.

Generally Avensis very reliable, but have known plenty owned by fekking idiots & theirs certainly won't be a good buy.

I bought one that had been part ex'd at Nissan Dealer in North East, drove it all the way to Dorset, just about to hand it over the next morning, the sun came out and I noticed the insides of the windows had been clawed by a dog or a mad kid and they were all scratched to buggery including the windscreen. Mind you, it could even have been the idiot valeters.

Parked it in the shade, got paid, blokes never noticed it to this day.

Moral of the story is every car is different you can't make sweeping statements they're good or shite without knowing more about the individual car.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 pm

PETER O'POOLE wrote:

More Details required for good honest advice....... Year, mileage, history, exact model etc.

You see, they all leave the showroom in the same new condition, but from day one every single one is different as it slides into depreciation, and its the life it lives that determines whether its going to be a good buy or not.

Generally Avensis very reliable, but have known plenty owned by fekking idiots & theirs certainly won't be a good buy.

I bought one that had been part ex'd at Nissan Dealer in North East, drove it all the way to Dorset, just about to hand it over the next morning, the sun came out and I noticed the insides of the windows had been clawed by a dog or a mad kid and they were all scratched to buggery including the windscreen. Mind you, it could even have been the idiot valeters.

Parked it in the shade, got paid, blokes never noticed it to this day.

Moral of the story is every car is different you can't make sweeping statements they're good or shite without knowing more about the individual car.

I bet there's still a good number of cars you could sweepingly say are shit though? Just the ones that are ok in the first place you can say that about.

PETER O'POOLE

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:27 pm

Due to modern build & design techniques I can't think of many that are 'shite' when new.

They are built to appeal to different markets, once that's established there aren't many failing makes nowadays.

Some are a lot of years behind modern European cars (Dodge Avenger etc) but they still have a market and are good value at a certain price.

The new MG's have been slagged by the Trade Media, but the alternative to a one year old MG is maybe a 2006 A3, so as I say, its about history & condition of used cars, and every car is therefore different.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:13 pm

PETER O'POOLE wrote:Due to modern build & design techniques I can't think of many that are 'shite' when new.

Land Rover Defenders, by all accounts, yet they still sell by the thousand. They're the British Trabant.
HM Collector Of Parcels

The Tin Man

Postby The Tin Man » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:47 pm

Got the Avensis Second generation series T250 (2003–2009) the world's most boringly reliable car. Never had a problem with it. Diesel ,now done 110 K miles. Bought it secondhand. It's true that it's successor is one ugly bastard. Excuse the huge photo,too stupid to know how to make it smaller. If it fucks up the thread I'll delete it.

Edit : photo deleted
For every step,the footprint was already there.

FER

Postby FER » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:22 pm

PETER O'POOLE wrote:

58 plate, 37k miles, model is something like a 2D or a D2 or some other shite. Pretty good spec; cruise control, nav, climate control, electric this that and the other, adjustable stuff and things. :thumbl:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

FER

Postby FER » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:24 pm

Ended up getting an Insignia.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:45 pm

When does the rest of the car arrive? :D

FER

Postby FER » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Crashed it yesterday! You're supposed to tho', right? Get a new car, crash it.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:09 pm

So what are you getting next?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Blackwhite wrote:So what are you getting next?

Banned.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:52 am

Ok, so the Jag's getting a bit tired and I'm also thinking that I could downsize a bit (and get above 21mpg) because the girls are at an age where they rarely come anywhere with us now.

I'm thinking maybe £1500-£2000. It's still got to have 5 seats and it's got to go like shit off a stick. Maybe summat like a Seat Leon Cupra? No smaller than that anyway.

Any car heads suggest any similar alternatives?
HM Collector Of Parcels

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:43 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Ok, so the Jag's getting a bit tired and I'm also thinking that I could downsize a bit (and get above 21mpg) because the girls are at an age where they rarely come anywhere with us now.

I'm thinking maybe £1500-£2000. It's still got to have 5 seats and it's got to go like shit off a stick. Maybe summat like a Seat Leon Cupra? No smaller than that anyway.

I had the Leon FR+ 170bhp a couple of years ago, that was fun to drive.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Ponte wrote:I had the Leon FR+ 170bhp a couple of years ago, that was fun to drive.

Got to admit, I'm stunned by the prices. The equivalent performance Focus ST / RS is £5 or £6k more; VW VR6 £2k more.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:11 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Ponte wrote:I had the Leon FR+ 170bhp a couple of years ago, that was fun to drive.

Got to admit, I'm stunned by the prices. The equivalent performance Focus ST / RS is £5 or £6k more; VW VR6 £2k more.

It's a VW build too so it's solid.
I drive an Audi now, much preferred the Leon.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Ponte wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:

It's a VW build too so it's solid.
I drive an Audi now, much preferred the Leon.

I used to have a Seat Leon, fucking great car even if it wasn't the sporty number you are wanting. loved it, couldn't see fuck all out of the back though.

ChairmanMeaow

Postby ChairmanMeaow » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:53 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Ok, so the Jag's getting a bit tired and I'm also thinking that I could downsize a bit (and get above 21mpg) because the girls are at an age where they rarely come anywhere with us now.

Skoda Octavia 2.0i VRs. Essentially a booted mk5 Golf gti...

Return to “The Square Ball”