o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Bob

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:30 pm

You can drive a car, without an MOT, to and from the MOT station as long as it's booked in at the said station.

A some point during the ownership of your vehicle it's worth getting a six month tax disc so as to avoid the complications of an MOT failure which stymies your Road fund license renewal. Its a tad more expensive but worth it as it gives you a little breathing space.

FER

Postby FER » Wed May 01, 2013 8:53 am

My motor is getting MOTted at this very moment. Had a brake light out for about 3 months and not bothered to change it, the rear windscreen wiper doesn't work (can't fail MOT apparently) and I reckon my brake pads will need changing and maybe a new tyre or two.

Waiting for the MOT centre to call with the news ...
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

FER

Postby FER » Wed May 01, 2013 9:06 am

Failed.

ABS line loose, rear brakes need realigning, some bulbs out and needs a new wiper blade.

Fuckety fuck!

topbin

Postby topbin » Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am

FER wrote:Failed.

ABS line loose, rear brakes need realigning, some bulbs out and needs a new wiper blade.

Fuckety fuck!

Aye, pain in the neck these things. Though I guess if it means our brakes work it's probably some cash well spent.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 am

FER wrote:My motor is getting MOTted at this very moment. Had a brake light out for about 3 months and not bothered to change it, the rear windscreen wiper doesn't work (can't fail MOT apparently) and I reckon my brake pads will need changing and maybe a new tyre or two.

Waiting for the MOT centre to call with the news ...

I have a brake light out, but it passed MOT like that (I actually expected they'd change it for me and charge me a few quid) without so much as an advisory. I think he presence of the 3rd brake light in the middle makes the difference as technically you only need to have 2 I believe.

FER

Postby FER » Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I have a brake light out, but it passed MOT like that (I actually expected they'd change it for me and charge me a few quid) without so much as an advisory. I think he presence of the 3rd brake light in the middle makes the difference as technically you only need to have 2 I believe.

Fuck knows. I know my middle one works. These guys are just a MOT centre without a garage attached so they don't have any reason to 'invent' failures like some places will (JCT600 allegedly have targets of 'failures' they have to find).

Supernorm

Postby Supernorm » Thu May 02, 2013 6:15 am

Topbin wrote: Am I breaking the law if I drive the car tomorrow? i.e. out of date tax disc and no official M.O.T.? I'm allowed to drive it to the MOT station on Thursday morning without it being a problem, but I was told by someone or other that there was some grace period of 5 days or something.

I had always assumed that there was a grace period for car tax and a few people have confirmed the issue regarding driving to the Test centre, but beware, insurance companies will use anything to avoid paying out if there was an accident. If the car isn't fully road worthy with all the correct documentation, the cunts will wash their hands of you.
Gripper wrote: "I did a Shaolin Qi-Gong taster sesh a few weeks back. Dead good it was" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Looking for a suggestion on where to buy used cars please.

I've got an 02 MK4 Golf that needs replacing very quickly as the MOT runs out in a week and I don't really want to spend on it as its starting to get a bit tired and generally have a few small issues. Ideally another vw golf but newer (maybe 2006 ish) with a 1.6 engine or lower is what I'm after.

I can't stand the whole bollocks that buying a car usually involves, all that I'm going to ask my manager if he can come up with a great deal for you. :puker: (Fuck off cunt I know its news to you, but your buyers are sophisticated enough to know what you are doing !!)

So I don't want anything flash but it would be nice to deal with someone who doesn't do all that shite, and will give me a fair deal and look after me generally.

So can anyone recommend a garage please.(Leeds, but will travel 25 miles or so if anyone recommends further afield) I'm probably looking in 3/4 k range less mine as trade in.

Thanks v much in advance

PETER O'POOLE

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:02 am

I can help if you want, we're wholesalers but always try to help out Leeds fans if poss.
You pay what we pay (trade) and we charge £250 plus delivery at cost.
You can't test drive or feel or touch the car first, we're not retailers, we sell to garages, but we'll always get a professional appraisal from trusted pro's.
With £3 to £4k I'd probably not recommend a Golf, there is much better without the image / name.
On the other hand, we have 132 Golf Hatch's, 5 Golf Cabriolets, 2 Golf Estates + 3 Golf Plus's on the screen right now.
Started selling cars 1977 @ Rowland Winn @ Batley, so have life time experience.
References can be obtained from one or two high profilers on................. Waccoe.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:05 am

PETER O'POOLE wrote:I can help if you want, we're wholesalers but always try to help out Leeds fans if poss.
You can't test drive or feel or touch the car first, we're not retailers, we sell to garages, but we'll always get a professional appraisal from trusted pro's.
With £3 to £4k I'd probably not recommend a Golf, there is much better without the image / name.
On the other hand, we have 132 Golf Hatch's, 5 Golf Cabriolets, 2 Golf Estates + 3 Golf Plus's on the screen right now.
Started selling cars 1977 @ Rowland Winn @ Batley, so have life time experience.
References can be obtained from one or two high profilers on................. Waccoe.

Advice from a used car salesman :lol:

PETER O'POOLE

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am

Yeah you're right, don't need it - fuck it.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:41 am

PETER O'POOLE wrote:Yeah you're right, don't need it - fuck it.

PETER O'POOLE

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:57 am

He can still contact the Mrs, she's a chef.

Like every other profession known to man, Chef's know lot about purchasing cars

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:59 am

I fucking love it when someone throws the teddy out :mrgreen:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:03 pm

PETER O'POOLE wrote:I can help if you want, we're wholesalers but always try to help out Leeds fans if poss.

So out of interest, given that you're not retail, what sort of after sales service is there? Probably not looking to change mine for a year or 2 yet but I tend to go for the trade in route because its a fuck of a lot less hassle than selling private and its always nice to have 30 days or so to find out what's wrong with the car and get it fixed.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:

So out of interest, given that you're not retail, what sort of after sales service is there? Probably not looking to change mine for a year or 2 yet but I tend to go for the trade in route because its a fuck of a lot less hassle than selling private and its always nice to have 30 days or so to find out what's wrong with the car and get it fixed.

Ha Ha, I knew you would get a traditional TSB response on here, thanks for answering.

I'm also interested in Phil's question above too, but Ive sent you a PM as I'm really keen to find out where I can see what you have available please, and also wondered how I'd be best to move mine on if you, as I'm assuming, just sell without trade in.

Thanks very much

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:37 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Looking for a suggestion on where to buy used cars please.

I've got an 02 MK4 Golf that needs replacing very quickly as the MOT runs out in a week and I don't really want to spend on it as its starting to get a bit tired and generally have a few small issues. Ideally another vw golf but newer (maybe 2006 ish) with a 1.6 engine or lower is what I'm after.

I can't stand the whole bollocks that buying a car usually involves, all that I'm going to ask my manager if he can come up with a great deal for you. :puker: (Fuck off cunt I know its news to you, but your buyers are sophisticated enough to know what you are doing !!)

So I don't want anything flash but it would be nice to deal with someone who doesn't do all that shite, and will give me a fair deal and look after me generally.

So can anyone recommend a garage please.(Leeds, but will travel 25 miles or so if anyone recommends further afield) I'm probably looking in 3/4 k range less mine as trade in.

Thanks v much in advance

I've got a mate who can sort you out.

Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

PETER O'POOLE

Postby PETER O'POOLE » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:42 pm

I'll try to answer all questions.

We do have a Retail Company and that company sells cars with Warranties included, so you can have a Warranty at cost any period between 3 months or 3 years.
Don't know how good the warranty company is - we've never had a claim (No, really) ... Fuck - touch wood.
Warranty Co is in Leeds.
Warranty for 3 months from about £50, up to a year about £90 - but that depends on engine size, mileage covered etc.

Regarding Trade ins. You'll have to use your imagination a bit here but...

Look at a Golf in the Autotrader @ £5995
They probably paid between £4000 and £4500 from people like us - lets say £4500.
You walk in and they give you a grand for your old car, so your balance is £4995.
You could have bought the car from us for (say) £4500 + £250 = £4750 plus delivery... (say £100) = £4850.
You've bought the same car for £4850 and you still have your old one to stick in Gumtree.
If its worth a Grand but you sell it for £500 quickly, you are still £650 better off, if you stick out & sell it for a grand, you're £1150 better off.

We started doing it this way in 1995, when cars became more reliable (management systems and much less rust).
When we had a bloody great big pitch for of cars, we made approx £400 per unit net, we had the upkeep of the place, advertising etc... so we started at £250 per unit and I thought we can work from home & do a couple a week - it remains so until this day, we just do a lot more units now, but unfortunately sat at a fucking computer for about 14 hours per day.....

Easiest way to understand is that the dealers in the Autotrader are British Airways, we're Easyjet.

Apologies, I'm not spamming, I was asked.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:07 pm

Ive sent you an email in response to your PM. Thanks for the info.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Fair enough, cheers for that. Maybe worth considering in the future although my experience of 3rd party warranties is that they're shit and do whatever they can to wriggle out of paying out.

Depends what you're buying really and at what price as the standard 30 days or so most retailers offer covers absolutely every reasonable complaint you might have - only had to use one once, for an older car anyway but it had a leaky radiator within a week.

I presume you have a website?

P.S. Bloody salesmen eh, you could have just said no trade in, no warranties :wink:

Return to “The Square Ball”