o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Phil LUFC

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Quiffy wrote:got a problem with kia and their 7 year warranty...

i've been getting a high pitched noise from my rear left wheel, so i did a google search and it suggested it could be a problem with the brake caliper. I rung the kia garage told them this and asked if they could take a look at my car, hoping they would fix it under the warranty. instead of this happening they told me my brake pads and discs need replacing. I got an advisory on the discs when it was last serviced 6 months ago, which for me is only 2300 miles ago, the pads were given the green light. They said that it would cost me £300 just to replace the rear brake pads and discs, they also told me over the phone that the caliper was fine.

so i took it to my local garage, who had a quick look and said it was probably the caliper that was knackered and they'd replace the rear discs and pads, and strip the front brakes down for around £270. If the caliper needed fixing this would rise to about £450, i said that the kia garage said it was fine, though they said they couldn't have checked it because it requires taking all the brakes apart.

so i get back in touch with kia, who admit they didn't check the caliper and if it is knackered they would replace it for free, though they insist it probably isn't faulty, but to do the same rear brake replacement and stripping of the front brakes would cost me £375.

essentially i want to know is whether a faulty caliper has caused my brakes to deteriorate so quickly that in the space of 2300 miles the pads have gone from fine to needing replacement and the discs have gone from 'need replacing when the pads wear down' to 'must be replaced'. if the problem that should be fixed under warranty, the caliper, has lead to further damage, should i be paying in full for that further damage to the discs and pads?

(i've already got the national kia helpline to put in a complaint about the service)

Can you take it to a different Kia garage? I've never had a problem with mine, they've done a number of repairs under warranty. That said, as soon as its not covered by warranty I'm taking it to the local garage I've been using for years.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 31, 2019 3:45 pm

That's the bit you need to establish, call them and ask. If the warrantied fault has worn the non warrantied stuff they might hard ball it or meet you halfway, check the terms on the warranty in case it solidly excludes secondary costs.

Edit: reading it back it seems a bit like they were near changing anyways and so they probably won't touch it.

Sorry, forgot I was talking to a Yorkshireman :lol:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 3:53 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Can you take it to a different Kia garage? I've never had a problem with mine, they've done a number of repairs under warranty. That said, as soon as its not covered by warranty I'm taking it to the local garage I've been using for years.

nearest is ripon and i've been told that to check the calipers requires a fair bit of work and would require going beyond the 'free check' and cost me. fuck that.

increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Blackwhite wrote:That's the bit you need to establish, call them and ask. If the warrantied fault has worn the non warrantied stuff they might hard ball it or meet you halfway, check the terms on the warranty in case it solidly excludes secondary costs.

Edit: reading it back it seems a bit like they were near changing anyways and so they probably won't touch it.

i have called them and 'asked', but they played hard ball, insisting the brakes were going anyway. there was no chance of them going halfway, which is what i hoped and expected. i sort of had £150 in mind for the work.

i'm waiting on a call from a mechanic friend who'll hopefully answer the question without bias.

it looks like i'm going to get the pads and discs fixed at the local garage for £270, who will be able to check the caliper and if they confirm it's fucked then i'm taking it to kia to get them to do it for free, which is what the manager said he'd do on the phone to me.

yes i am a yorkshireman :lol: , a yorkshireman who has been pretty skint this last two weeks waiting for payday today, now i'm going to have to continue to be scrooge for the whole of june.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Fri May 31, 2019 4:02 pm

Who needs brakes anyway?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 4:04 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Who needs brakes anyway?

marc bolan

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Fri May 31, 2019 4:35 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:That's the bit you need to establish, call them and ask. If the warrantied fault has worn the non warrantied stuff they might hard ball it or meet you halfway, check the terms on the warranty in case it solidly excludes secondary costs.

i have called them and 'asked', but they played hard ball, insisting the brakes were going anyway. there was no chance of them going halfway, which is what i hoped and expected. i sort of had £150 in mind for the work.

i'm waiting on a call from a mechanic friend who'll hopefully answer the question without bias.

it looks like i'm going to get the pads and discs fixed at the local garage for £270, who will be able to check the caliper and if they confirm it's fucked then i'm taking it to kia to get them to do it for free, which is what the manager said he'd do on the phone to me.
Check the warranty doesn’t get invalidated if you have work done by a non Kia garage.

yes i am a yorkshireman :lol: , a yorkshireman who has been pretty skint this last two weeks waiting for payday today, now i'm going to have to continue to be scrooge for the whole of june.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 4:45 pm

Tycipa wrote:Check the warranty doesn’t get invalidated if you have work done by a non Kia garage.

it doesn't, so long as it's done properly. if anyone else fucks up with the work then kia won't then fix it under warranty.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri May 31, 2019 5:54 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Tycipa wrote:Check the warranty doesn’t get invalidated if you have work done by a non Kia garage.

it doesn't, so long as it's done properly. if anyone else fucks up with the work then kia won't then fix it under warranty.

I could be wrong but I think "genuine Kia parts" is a condition of the warranty.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Quiffy wrote:

I could be wrong but I think "genuine Kia parts" is a condition of the warranty.

ok Ta Phil.

had an interesting chat to my mechanic friend (who manages the repairs to a fleet of lorries in leeds) who is also convinced it's a caliper, therefore warranty issue and that the stuck caliper will be responsible for the rapid deterioration of the brakes, so they should be sorted under the warranty. he said i need to go above the head of the service manager so i have and just emailed one of the directors of the garage business. I've mentioned how they haven't properly investigated a brake issue which is a serious breach of safety.

i want the fuckers to be fixing this for free now.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:14 pm

Quiffy wrote:had an interesting chat to my mechanic friend (who manages the repairs to a fleet of lorries in leeds) who is also convinced it's a caliper, therefore warranty issue and that the stuck caliper will be responsible for the rapid deterioration of the brakes, so they should be sorted under the warranty. he said i need to go above the head of the service manager so i have and just emailed one of the directors of the garage business. I've mentioned how they haven't properly investigated a brake issue which is a serious breach of safety.

i want the fuckers to be fixing this for free now.

i continued complaining, the email to the director hit a soft spot and was passed on to the after sales manager who offered to replace the pads, but not the discs, and pay for the labour IF the caliper was at fault, leaving me with a potential bill of just over £100. I turned him down, haughtily saying i'd lost my trust in the garage and would prefer my local garge to do the work. If the caliper isn't at fault i would be liable for a minimum of £375. I felt like i'd sort of won.

so today it's at the local garage and they found that the caliper wasn't actually at fault, but the front brakes are so fucked now that the front pads and discs are being replaced and it's going to cost just over £400.

at least the same work, doing the front and back pads and discs would have probably been around £600 at the dealership. :rabbit: fucking cars. :puker:

Return to “The Square Ball”