o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
AndyPaul

Re: o/t car advice

Postby AndyPaul » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:22 am

eric olthwaite wrote:If one were to consider spending £5-10k on a car in a private (ie non-dealer) purchase, from a considerable distance away from my home:

- Are things like AA vehicle inspections or similar actually worth it?
- What's the best way to manage the financial transaction to avoid being ripped off?

Brave man. I wouldn’t have balls to spend that much privately.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:30 am

eric olthwaite wrote:- Are things like AA vehicle inspections or similar actually worth it?
- What's the best way to manage the financial transaction to avoid being ripped off?

Are you a mechanic? I know fuck all about cars so I'd always ask a mate or expert.

I had a mate who sold a BMW a few years ago. He met the buyers who were nice enough, but not the sort of blokes (Slavs) you fuck around with. They took it for a test drive together and agree that they want it. Unfortunately they can't get the money until the next day so he agreed to sign the car over after the promised to send him the money (15k) the next day (silly c). He spends weeks chasing them, and being promised the monies on its way. Goes to the police who tell him not to push it, that these are serious criminals who have used the same trick before. It's a private transaction so they can't do anything. Just accept that the money is gone ... Out of the blue the buyer contacts him and says he's sorry for the delay,he still doesn't gave any money, but if he wants can have the receipt from a pawn shop for 25k worth of gem stones. Only problem is that it'll cost 10k or so to buy them back. Silly bastard decides it's the only way he will ever see the money for the car so he agrees. Takes the receipt. Hands over the cash. And collects a bag of paste gems that are worth .. not a lot.

I can't remember the exact amounts, just that the car was worth 15-20k. Admittedly these were scary blokes, but falling for the gem stone trick is probably the stupidest thing anyone I know as ever done.

Lesson. Most people are honest, but when it comes to money a lot aren't .

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:47 am

jackos wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:- Are things like AA vehicle inspections or similar actually worth it?

Are you a mechanic? I know fuck all about cars so I'd always ask a mate or expert.

I had a mate who sold a BMW a few years ago. He met the buyers who were nice enough, but not the sort of blokes (Slavs) you fuck around with. They took it for a test drive together and agree that they want it. Unfortunately they can't get the money until the next day so he agreed to sign the car over after the promised to send him the money (15k) the next day (silly c). He spends weeks chasing them, and being promised the monies on its way. Goes to the police who tell him not to push it, that these are serious criminals who have used the same trick before. It's a private transaction so they can't do anything. Just accept that the money is gone ... Out of the blue the buyer contacts him and says he's sorry for the delay,he still doesn't gave any money, but if he wants can have the receipt from a pawn shop for 25k worth of gem stones. Only problem is that it'll cost 10k or so to buy them back. Silly bastard decides it's the only way he will ever see the money for the car so he agrees. Takes the receipt. Hands over the cash. And collects a bag of paste gems that are worth .. not a lot.

I can't remember the exact amounts, just that the car was worth 15-20k. Admittedly these were scary blokes, but falling for the gem stone trick is probably the stupidest thing anyone I know as ever done.

That bit is seriously weird - and totally wrong. They committed a criminal offence: the police should have investigated. Maybe in Sweden it's different? Can't see why it should be when they defrauded him.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:35 pm

jackos wrote:

If it was local I could, but I’m (a silly twat) and looking for a particular and not common model and engine and I’ve seen what looks like a belter in Staffs. Probably not worth the effort.

jackos wrote:I had a mate who sold a BMW a few years ago. He met the buyers who were nice enough, but not the sort of blokes (Slavs) you fuck around with. They took it for a test drive together and agree that they want it. Unfortunately they can't get the money until the next day so he agreed to sign the car over after the promised to send him the money (15k) the next day (silly c). He spends weeks chasing them, and being promised the monies on its way. Goes to the police who tell him not to push it, that these are serious criminals who have used the same trick before. It's a private transaction so they can't do anything. Just accept that the money is gone ... Out of the blue the buyer contacts him and says he's sorry for the delay,he still doesn't gave any money, but if he wants can have the receipt from a pawn shop for 25k worth of gem stones. Only problem is that it'll cost 10k or so to buy them back. Silly bastard decides it's the only way he will ever see the money for the car so he agrees. Takes the receipt. Hands over the cash. And collects a bag of paste gems that are worth .. not a lot.

That. Is. Insane.

jackos

Postby jackos » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm

dirty leeds wrote:That bit is seriously weird - and totally wrong. They committed a criminal offence: the police should have investigated. Maybe in Sweden it's different? Can't see why it should be when they defrauded him.

Not uncommon here though, I've no idea what the law says here I'm afraid. He handed over papers before he got paid, which was bloody stupid. He was really scared even though they never threatened him, and felt unbelievably stupid. The kept saying the money was on its way. The police told him very directly not to push it because the Slavs were seriously dangerous.

Laws are very different here though. Groups of people get away with murder by pointing the finger at each other Police have to prove who did the deed to convict someone for murder.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:47 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:If one were to consider spending £5-10k on a car in a private (ie non-dealer) purchase, from a considerable distance away from my home:

- Are things like AA vehicle inspections or similar actually worth it?

I would do a few things to check the history of the motor first.

Go here and check the MOT history of the motor. This will give you an idea of how the car has been looked after. If the car has failed or had loads of advisories then it might be an indication that whoever has had it has not really taken care of it. So if they have not bothered to get the advisories sorted, to me they have not looked after it. This could also be a determining factor on getting an inspection by the AA or such like. For the sake of a few sheckles and the distance involved, I would get this done.

Also, go on the Autotrader site here and put the reg number in as if it is you selling the car. Autotrader is linked to the DVLA and if the car has been written of in any category then that information will come up in the form of telling you to fuck off we're not selling this death trap on your behalf - you don't have to register or pay anything to do this.

Bank transfer for the money, once you're happy with the motor and you have done a decent test drive in it. Transfers for than amount are pretty instant if you have internet banking on and you use it on your phone. If you're doing this, might be helpful to let your bank know because they might see it as an unusual transaction and stop it.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:40 am

Any of you cunts have a dashcam?

Does it reduce your insurance significantly?

If you do, what one do you have?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:35 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Any of you cunts have a dashcam?

Does it reduce your insurance significantly?

If you do, what one do you have?

Yes.

Haven't told them (figured it'd be fucking typical for it to have not recorded at a time I need it and they'd not pay out).

Blackview something or other (dr650 seems to be the current version). It's alright, I wanted something discreet, WiFi to my phone or take the memory card out to view the video as it doesn't have a screen. Not the cheapest option out there. When I got it it synced with Google maps, when I last tried some changes at the Google end meant that didn't work, not tried for at least a year.

Sample footage:

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 pm

You're supposed to place it on the front windscreen :lol:
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:34 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Sample footage:

Shocking undertaking there, Phil. :x

Don’t tell Musta.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:35 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:

Don’t tell Musta.

Phil, you're dead to me.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:44 pm

kennyb41 wrote:You're supposed to place it on the front windscreen :lol:

I did :scratch: .

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:

Don’t tell Musta.

Phil, you're dead to me.

Indeed, how dare I stay in lane while on a slip road filtering onto a busy motorway in roadworks. Or do a wreckless 51 in a 50 zone.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:56 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:

Don’t tell Musta.

Phil, you're dead to me.

Indeed, how dare I stay in lane while on a slip road filtering onto a busy motorway in roadworks. Or do a wreckless 51 in a 50 zone.

Exactly. You weren't doing 55, as you say, now probably the time to say I've not watched it and CGAF :cheers:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:05 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
kennyb41 wrote:You're supposed to place it on the front windscreen :lol:

I did :scratch: .

You'll get there.
Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean people aren't after you....Show me a good loser and i'll show you a fcking loser...I owe I owe it's off to work I go.

Devi

Postby Devi » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:37 pm

Phil LUFC wrote: a wreckless 51 in a 50 zone.

Reminds me of a row I got into a while back, that x mph is the “limit”, and that you don’t *have* to drive at that limit.

Clearly they’d never had arguing kids / puking dogs on board or been en route to a maternity ward / meeting / promise.
I like it. What is it?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:03 pm

Devi wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote: a wreckless 51 in a 50 zone.

Reminds me of a row I got into a while back, that x mph is the “limit”, and that you don’t *have* to drive at that limit.

Clearly they’d never had arguing kids / puking dogs on board or been en route to a maternity ward / meeting / promise.

Whenever I hear this "limit" shit I suggest they drive at 40 on the M40, as an example, and see how long it takes to get nicked, sideswiped, or shot.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 2:37 pm

got a problem with kia and their 7 year warranty...

i've been getting a high pitched noise from my rear left wheel, so i did a google search and it suggested it could be a problem with the brake caliper. I rung the kia garage told them this and asked if they could take a look at my car, hoping they would fix it under the warranty. instead of this happening they told me my brake pads and discs need replacing. I got an advisory on the discs when it was last serviced 6 months ago, which for me is only 2300 miles ago, the pads were given the green light. They said that it would cost me £300 just to replace the rear brake pads and discs, they also told me over the phone that the caliper was fine.

so i took it to my local garage, who had a quick look and said it was probably the caliper that was knackered and they'd replace the rear discs and pads, and strip the front brakes down for around £270. If the caliper needed fixing this would rise to about £450, i said that the kia garage said it was fine, though they said they couldn't have checked it because it requires taking all the brakes apart.

so i get back in touch with kia, who admit they didn't check the caliper and if it is knackered they would replace it for free, though they insist it probably isn't faulty, but to do the same rear brake replacement and stripping of the front brakes would cost me £375.

essentially i want to know is whether a faulty caliper has caused my brakes to deteriorate so quickly that in the space of 2300 miles the pads have gone from fine to needing replacement and the discs have gone from 'need replacing when the pads wear down' to 'must be replaced'. if the problem that should be fixed under warranty, the caliper, has lead to further damage, should i be paying in full for that further damage to the discs and pads?

(i've already got the national kia helpline to put in a complaint about the service)
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 31, 2019 2:42 pm

No.

Really, no. I had a slightly similar thing with my dealer (not Kia) where they were fixing X and caused damage to Y which sent the full back on the road bill into four figures. They didn't even try to charge me the difference, just the original quoted amount and they paid the rest.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 31, 2019 3:09 pm

Blackwhite wrote:No.

Really, no. I had a slightly similar thing with my dealer (not Kia) where they were fixing X and caused damage to Y which sent the full back on the road bill into four figures. They didn't even try to charge me the difference, just the original quoted amount and they paid the rest.

surely that's slightly different, as they clearly caused the secondary damage, whereas the brakes are a wear and tear item and they'd already flagged up that they were wearing down and would need replacing soon, as i've done 33,000 miles and they need replacing from anywhere between 25 to 65 000 miles. my grievance is that they've suddenly gone to shit and it's probably because of the caliper, so they shouldn't have gone so quick. wear and tear? my arse.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Return to “The Square Ball”