o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: o/t car advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Blackwhite wrote:If you get overtaken by a truck who then indicates to pull back in, wouldn't All Anchors be a better response?

Given where the car was when the truck started to pull over, if he’d have hit the brakes he’d have gone under the middle of the trailer and the back axles right over him, I think.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:08 pm

The general rule's a good one though, drive a nastyish bit of dual carriageway daily and for these reasons a) pretty much don't go left except on and off, and b) often when passing in traffic, prefer to do so when clear to exit, or hang back. Learned that one the day I learned the wipe clean nature of leather seats :pale:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:23 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Can’t think where else to post this but a fairly nasty accident happened 50 yards in front of us, on the way up north on the A1 on Friday.

Dual carriageway, we’re in the outside lane a couple of cars behind an artic, moving slowly past a line of cars on the inside. This artic had pulled out to overtake someone and had then got stuck as we started to go uphill. Front of the line of cars in the slow lane, a little way ahead, was something small - Polo I think.

The artic started indicating to pull back in and it was one of those slow motion things where you can’t quite believe what’s about to happen. I could tell there wasn’t nearly enough space behind the Polo; the truck hit it just behind the back door and spun it so it was across the front of the cab and pushed it sideways maybe 30 yards down the road. I couldn’t understand why it didn’t stop. Eventually the car spun right round facing backwards and the truck carried on. I had to swerve around the car and went after the truck to get his number (Mrs O rang the cops) but he eventually pulled into a lay-by about 100 yards up.

The moral of the story is that whole thing you hear about truck drivers not being able to see right in front of them is terrifying. If you get overtaken by a truck and you see the fucker indicating, put your foot down as quick as you can.

Something very similar happened to my mum and dad heading in the opposite direction, just on the a14 after leaving the a1. My dad claims the lorry hit the back end of his car on the nearside. My folks were in the outside lane, the lorry was in the inside lane of that section covered by average speed cameras. It spun my parents car before it flipped in front of the lorry before getting bounced off into the verge. Amazingly they were back home in york that evening with only superficial injuries.

They got peanuts (about £2k?) in compensation after the lorry driver claimed my parents had a blow out and swerved in front of the lorry. The fact the police cleared up so quick meant there wasn't the evidence to prove otherwise, although my mum reckoned she'd given the solicitors a photo of their car upside down with a fully inflated tyre on that side.

I was hoping for a tasty pay out and a family holiday.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:31 pm

OK. This fuck up I had this afternoon; couple of queries:

1. Process, what with me never having gone through this before. Presumably, woman will contact her insurers. In hindsight, she'd be mad to claim; she was driving a battered 04 Yaris and I put a dent in the middle of the bumper so it's a definite write off and she'll never get value out of the money back, for a car she could just carry on driving. But, whatever, I now have to tell my insurers that I ran into the back of someone and I don't know if they'll claim as it was minor. I'm TPF&T - am I right in thinking that no-one's going to come and look at my car even if she claims?

2. I've been looking what 'roadworthy' means in the interim. In summary:
- Bumper split; I can strap it up.
- Front wing damaged.
- One of two headlights on that side skew but I can probably straighten it a bit.
- Indicator out but I might be able to sort it tomorrow.
Zero mechanical damage. I think the car is legally roadworthy, but does anyone think differently?

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:34 pm

Tell hew to get it sorted by a mobile repairer, from what you say I recon it will cost you £100 - try to keep the insurance out of it unless you have protected no claims. Even if she contacts her insurance and informs them of a 'no fault' claim on her part, it will effect her next premium.

As for your car, when is the MOT due, if it isn't too far away get it in early and if it fails on the damage at least you will know.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:46 pm

How fast were you going on impact? How did she react to it all? Did she give you the impression she was going to claim? And did she seem the type that would play on it all and go for the full monty whiplash injury put on?
I'd hold off informing your insurers for the time being (in the short term),they will let you know when her insurers contact yours.

I'm presuming you obviously exchanged all details.........but did she give you the definite impression she was going down the insurance route? Folk these days seem more interested in getting the whiplash claim in.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:50 pm

In regards to your car,the indicator will need fixing and make sure there are no sharp edges to bumper/wing or anywhere.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:03 pm

kennyb41 wrote:How fast were you going on impact? How did she react to it all? Did she give you the impression she was going to claim? And did she seem the type that would play on it all and go for the full monty whiplash injury put on?
I'd hold off informing your insurers for the time being (in the short term),they will let you know when her insurers contact yours.

I'm presuming you obviously exchanged all details.........but did she give you the definite impression she was going down the insurance route? Folk these days seem more interested in getting the whiplash claim in.

She seemed very chilled, honestly can’t say if she’s going to claim. Queuing traffic so very low speed and I think she’d struggle with the whiplash gig. Who knows what people will try when they’ve thought about it?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Do you have her details? You could contact her and offer to pay for her bumper repair privately, shouldn't cost much from the sounds of it and may be enough to stop her contacting insurance.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Yep,a lot of this boils down to the individual,but you don't need to do anything yet about contacting your insurers just let it take it's course and make a note of time and weather conditions,you can drive your car as long as it's not a danger,like sharp edges.....i'd just be hoping probably like yourself that she looks at it tomorrow and can't be arsed with the rigmarole of it all if she's fine and her car's barely damaged.

Good luck and hope it just goes away for thi.

kennyb41

Postby kennyb41 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:18 pm

That's a good shout above,say you have a mate in the game who would fix her car coz you don't wanna lose ur no claims discount.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:24 pm

I’ve been had by the feds.

Think I probably said on here recently that I’d got done for speeding. I acknowledged it was me, paid the fine, sent my licence off, got the three points.

Now, in that process, I can’t remember any correspondence where I got told what the charge code was. It was only recently, when I looked online, I saw they’d given me SP50. I looked up what that meant and it’s excess speed on a motorway, as opposed to SP30 which is excess speed on a public highway.

This was on the A23, which becomes the M23 at a fairly random point. As is usual practice, they sent me the photo of where I was nicked and it was on the A23 - ie not the motorway, so they applied the wrong charge.

If I had access to a shit hot lawyer I reckon my points should be struck off because the charge was wrong. But does the fact I’ve accepted the charge already mean I’m screwed? Is this something I’ve got any hope of contesting without professional advice?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:34 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I’ve been had by the feds.

Think I probably said on here recently that I’d got done for speeding. I acknowledged it was me, paid the fine, sent my licence off, got the three points.

Now, in that process, I can’t remember any correspondence where I got told what the charge code was. It was only recently, when I looked online, I saw they’d given me SP50. I looked up what that meant and it’s excess speed on a motorway, as opposed to SP30 which is excess speed on a public highway.

This was on the A23, which becomes the M23 at a fairly random point. As is usual practice, they sent me the photo of where I was nicked and it was on the A23 - ie not the motorway, so they applied the wrong charge.

If I had access to a shit hot lawyer I reckon my points should be struck off because the charge was wrong. But does the fact I’ve accepted the charge already mean I’m screwed? Is this something I’ve got any hope of contesting without professional advice?

http://www.driverdefenceservice.co.uk/M ... -it---.php

Probably not. Was the fine incorrect as a result as you might be able to get it changed?
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:29 pm

just got my second, within the space of two weeks, parking ticket for parking in my own street, a few doors from my own house. £110 per day or a bargain £55 if you pay very quickly.

it's terraced housing, no-one has a drive, you pay for an annual parking permit, which we always do.

i live at #20, have been dimly aware for a while that the council or maybe a utilities company or whoever is digging up a little bit of pavement or fiddling with a parking meter or something outside the very low even house numbers & that a temporary parking restriction consequently applies.

so i've steered well clear of it. noted that on a nearby lamp-post there is a temporary sign - on a lamp post about say 6[' off the ground, roughly at eye level, there's a medium sized bright yellow sign saying somethign about parking restrictons at house numbers 2-4. it'd be better if they left out bollards or something to stop people parking but, hey, i know the score, i always look out for these signs, so fine.

last night, slightly against my better judgement, i parked my car so that the front end was i suppose outside #10, the back end outside #8, though not so far towards #2 as to reach #8's front door - it just slightly overlapped with the 'plot'.

parking ticket this morning. walk back to the sign, eventually clocked that above the one about house numbers 2-4, so at a height of say 8' or so, well above eye level, there's *another* restriction [applying to a slightly different time period, hence a need for two signs] applying to all of house numbers 2-8.

fucking cunts.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:34 pm

That councillor can't help where he lives, tfp.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

FER

Postby FER » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:09 pm

the flying pig wrote:just got my second.....fucking cunts.

I presume you're planning to appeal it?
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm

FER wrote:

yeah, but i'm sure i'll be told to poke it.

Rambo the randy pig

Postby Rambo the randy pig » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:25 pm

the flying pig wrote:
FER wrote:

yeah, but i'm sure i'll be told to poke it.

You may be surprised. There are so may little rules and regulations relating to parking restriction signs. I did one of these for a friend of mine once. Found 2 or 3 loopholes. As it was the council didn't even turn up to the appeal tribunal.

FER

Postby FER » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:57 pm

Rambo the randy pig wrote:
the flying pig wrote:yeah, but i'm sure i'll be told to poke it.

You may be surprised. There are so may little rules and regulations relating to parking restriction signs. I did one of these for a friend of mine once. Found 2 or 3 loopholes. As it was the council didn't even turn up to the appeal tribunal.

Yep, I believe there's certain rules about signage and it being within a certain range of visibility (if that makes sense!).
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:50 am

If one were to consider spending £5-10k on a car in a private (ie non-dealer) purchase, from a considerable distance away from my home:

- Are things like AA vehicle inspections or similar actually worth it?
- What's the best way to manage the financial transaction to avoid being ripped off?

Return to “The Square Ball”