o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
eric olthwaite

Re: o/t car advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am

Yep, that’s fair. Gumtree’s a bit dead round my way which is why I don’t tend to use it.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:04 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:I’m amazed that anyone would still touch webuyanycar. Be honest (ish), stick it on eBay starting maybe £150 below what you’d really like and if it doesn’t sell, fuck it, you’ve only lost a week and a few bob in listing fees.
welshwhite wrote:Gumtree would be better than eBay, no fees and you'd get locals coming to view it.

https://www.gumtree.com/cars/leeds

:thumbl: aye food for thought that. i'm not in a hurry so there's no point chucking a couple of hundred quid away, that'd be out of character. need to see my eastern european friends first and transform it into something someone may want to buy.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:25 pm

For reference, a couple of critical things for selling cars privately on the interwebs:

- FWIW it's the worst possible time of year. No fucker buys a car before Xmas or in January unless they're mad or desperate. Can you wait?
- How long's the MoT? If you're flogging a car for less than a grand, that's all anyone cares about. <6 months is risky.
- Why are you selling it? The answer is always 'Personal circumstances mean I need a different car' and never 'It's fucked', obviously.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:40 pm

Yeah. In answer to the first, im also going to be buying a second hand car.

The mot's due February, and even though ive spent over a grand on it in the last 4 months (new flywheel, clutch, replacement alloy, tyre, new bonnet lock and battery) I know the reverse switch, brakes and suspension need another £450 of work on top of service and MOT) basically I intended keeping it for about 3 more years, but I'm sick of repairing it and have lost faith in it.

Reason for selling, apart from the above, is we no longer need such a big car to cram our tent and stuff in to drive down to southern france, because last summer my wife bought something big enough as she didn't trust mine to get us there after it broke down in the champagne region the year before.

I just need something to fit my drums and the occasional child in, so im officially downsizing.

Anyhow currently getting it valeted, the price of which is now £36!!! If it looks good I may reconsider cos the radio still works and after the new clutch it drives well..
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:03 pm

decided to go for the valet and polish, the polish being the added expense and one i wish i hadn't incurred as the car now looks worse with every flaw in the paintwork gaining extra attention including a load of finger smudges round the doors. when i challenged the bloke over these he said there's nothing they can do as they're the result of anti-bacterial handwash, like the ones we've been using as good parents so the kids can clean their hands before eating when on long journeys; they clean their hands of 99.9% of germs and take the gloss off of your paintwork. :x

it smells better though.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm

the story is pretty much complete. i've got a deal i was happy with for a kia rio, 64 plate, with 27k on the clock and 3 and a half years warranty.

the new one has cost £5995, from £6295, which is better than autotraders expected dealer price of between £6160 and £6860. my old motor after a valet, polish and a bit of t-cut on the blotches caused by the handwash, returned me £1000, far better than the £366 that evans halshaw offered, the £850 webuyanycar estimated it at and better than the £680 autotrader reckoned it's trade in value was.

the acceleration's not great though i got it up to 85mph on the a64 and the radio sounded a bit thin, but fuck it, it shouldn't be costing me loads and its big enough for my drums, (i took along my bass drum today to check ease of access) and for a cheapo motor it looks better than a box on wheels as it's a special edition. like this website it's black, just a bit shinier.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:38 pm

I'm on my 2nd Kia now, both cee'ds. I can confirm Tyne lack of acceleration is not limited to the Rio but there's a marked improvement in overall refinement from the 60 plate version to the 64 plate - not a bad car all in for the money and the warranty is worth having (the old one had 3 or 4 recalls and a few other bits and bobs inc a suspension spring done under warranty).

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I'm on my 2nd Kia now, both cee'ds. I can confirm Tyne lack of acceleration is not limited to the Rio but there's a marked improvement in overall refinement from the 60 plate version to the 64 plate - not a bad car all in for the money and the warranty is worth having (the old one had 3 or 4 recalls and a few other bits and bobs inc a suspension spring done under warranty).

:thumbl: after 5 trips to the garage since the summer that warranty was definitely a head turner. sensible cars for sensible people :mrgreen:

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:20 pm

Quiffy wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I'm on my 2nd Kia now, both cee'ds. I can confirm Tyne lack of acceleration is not limited to the Rio but there's a marked improvement in overall refinement from the 60 plate version to the 64 plate - not a bad car all in for the money and the warranty is worth having (the old one had 3 or 4 recalls and a few other bits and bobs inc a suspension spring done under warranty).

:thumbl: after 5 trips to the garage since the summer that warranty was definitely a head turner. sensible cars for sensible people :mrgreen:

I must confess, I'm not the sensible one, both cars were previously owned from new by my Dad.

My webuyanycar experience was entirely down to being offered a deal I couldn't refuse when I needed a car - I negotiated with Dad over whether he actually wanted a new car or was saying he did because he knew I'd buy his old one! Ultimately I paid the lower end of trade in value while he negotiated as a cash buyer and the losses suffered on my old one didn't bother me too much. The more recent change is a different scenario, Dad decided he wanted a Sportage and negotiated the trade in deal with my old car before telling me about it. Deal was too good to turn down though and I strongly suspect my next car will be a Sportage.

The last car I had the chance to make a proper decision on was for the Mrs - we opted for the higher mileage/older/less economical Fiesta ST over a Corsa.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:34 pm

aye i'm not fussy but i wouldn't buy a vauxhall. the two clunkiest cars i've ever driven were vauxhalls, the second hand market seems to be flooded with them. had two fords as my last two cars and they were decent, at least until hitting 100,000 miles.

just starting to research my next purchase, a new stereo and speakers for the car as the originals seemed to lack a bit of ooomph.

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm

Quiffy wrote:aye i'm not fussy but i wouldn't buy a vauxhall. the two clunkiest cars i've ever driven were vauxhalls, the second hand market seems to be flooded with them. had two fords as my last two cars and they were decent, at least until hitting 100,000 miles.

just starting to research my next purchase, a new stereo and speakers for the car as the originals seemed to lack a bit of ooomph.

Mrs OEE bought a Vauxhall Corsa, I thought it was the worst ever decision for reasons above, but long story .... I've had to drive it for a fortnight and it's surprisingly lovely to drive

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Oheddieeddie wrote:Mrs OEE bought a Vauxhall Corsa, I thought it was the worst ever decision for reasons above, but long story .... I've had to drive it for a fortnight and it's surprisingly lovely to drive

must admit i've not driven a newish one. regards your last post, such cynicism :mrgreen:, though i was hoping the lovely sophie may have wanted to sell me her car a bit more.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:20 pm

I got lumbered with a corsa as a courtesy car whilst mine was in the body shop a while back. Without doubt the worst thing I’ve ever driven. Horrible, cheap little pile of shite.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 pm

London cunts: what happens if you pitch up in the congestion charge area out of hours and then leave the next day? Do you just have to pay one days’ charge for leaving?

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:27 am

You pay for the second day (assuming you drive in the zone during chargeable hours)
I like it. What is it?

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Cheers

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am

Mate of mine finished a new job last week and is starting another on Monday, the last job came with a car, her new one doesn't so she has been car shopping.

She went to an independent dealer and had a look at a few cars - one she saw caught her eye but she thought it was overpriced. She went home to think about it and decided to put the reg number into google, it came back showing the car had a long MOT on it. She then went on to autotrader to compare prices, she thought if she put the reg number in the sale box it would give her a very rough estimate of the value of the car - reasonable thinking I thought. But, something else completely different happened - a message box popped up stating that the car would not be allowed to be advertised for sale as it is a class B write off!

So the tip is, if you're buying a second hand motor, put the details in autotrader and it will tell you the cars history, or part of!

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:32 pm

In the course of a long history of ol’ banger driving I’ve had a couple of C or D write-offs. They’ve been absolutely fine but sometimes a complete twat to get insurance for. Wouldn’t go anywhere near A/B though. Autotrader also gives you any issues with outstanding HP too, I think.

FER

Postby FER » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Anybody unlucky enough (like me) to have a motor without Bluetooth, and use one of those FM connectors? I'm currently thinking of getting one of these but would appreciate any advice.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Anyone driven a vw scirocco. Looking at a 2010 1.4 petrol. Thoughts

Return to “The Square Ball”