o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:58 pm

I knew somebody bought Chevrolets, just not who.


Hi Dale!
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: o/t car advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I knew somebody bought Chevrolets, just not who.


Hi Dale!


Aren't all small Euro Chevys just summat South Korean, rebadged?

User avatar
topbin
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: o/t car advice

Postby topbin » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
topbin wrote:I went over a speed bump I didn't see the other day and it has fucked the 'engine shield' - apparently just a bit of plastic they stick there to stop grit flying up into the engine and wreacking havoc.

Took it in to a garage today and they said "it's properly fucked, we can't fix it, but to be honest I wouldn't bother with a new one, they're not really worth having."

Anyone have any experience/thoughts? It's a new garage so could be trying the "we're super honest, honestly, now give me your service and MOT so we can screw you into the ground" routine.


Depends how old the car is, I think. My philosophy is broadly that you are supposed to maintain any new-ish car in the condition it left the factory. Over a period of time, that morphs into 'do the minimum required to keep it on the road safely'.

I guess the period of indeterminate flexibility for the average car is say 70-100k mileage or 10-12 years?

I think I ripped one of those shields off an old Merc at some point, but it was on something like 270k at the time. Didn't do it any harm, anyway.


Yeah we're probably on the verge of your numbers - 100k mileage and 8.5 yrs old. I guess I'll just leave it off and put the money saved towards a new motor

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Blackwhite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:44 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:I knew somebody bought Chevrolets, just not who.


Hi Dale!


Aren't all small Euro Chevys just summat South Korean, rebadged?

Think they're just made there, GM Daewoo innit?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: o/t car advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:08 pm

Oh aye, that’s right. There were some Daewoo models that suddenly morphed into Chevrolets overnight.

User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Oheddieeddie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Oh aye, that’s right. There were some Daewoo models that suddenly morphed into Chevrolets overnight.


Excluding the old classic chevvys Were there ever 2 more uninspiring marques

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:46 am

Oheddieeddie wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Oh aye, that’s right. There were some Daewoo models that suddenly morphed into Chevrolets overnight.


Excluding the old classic chevvys Were there ever 2 more uninspiring marques

A colleague bought a Dacia. There's one, for a start...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: o/t car advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 am

Blackwhite wrote:
Oheddieeddie wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Oh aye, that’s right. There were some Daewoo models that suddenly morphed into Chevrolets overnight.


Excluding the old classic chevvys Were there ever 2 more uninspiring marques

A colleague bought a Dacia. There's one, for a start...


Ssangyong, Kia, Hyundai. They're dead good at four-wheeled moose production over there.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:00 pm

I drive a Kia, it's my second of too.

Eric is right.

User avatar
Dale White
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Rochdale

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Dale White » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks Eric, it's a nice little motor no matter who made it, snobby cunts, :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
FUCK OFF BATES !!!

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:23 pm

my old car, a c-max with over 100,000 on the clock, is costing a regular whack in repairs at the moment so i'm thinking of trading it in for a smaller family car. i took a shine to a ford focus that was an 11 plate diesel with 35,000 miles. all good except it was a diesel, hence being what i reckon is a good price of £5600. i've got a couple of questions though....

i know diesels aren't considered eco friendly and they plan to increase taxes on them, this one is a 'euro 5 diesel' does anyone know if it's worth avoiding cos of these costs in the future? all i've read so far seems to suggest that if i pootle round york it shouldn't be too much to worry about.

secondly, my old car is a heap, 2 kids have grown up in it spilling drive through drinks and vomitting etc. it's done trips to the tip and has multiple scratches from the bush at the end of the drive and other minor scuffs and scrapes. webuyanycar.com said they'd give me £1205 if it was in top condition, it isn't and i haven't yet been to find out what they would give me, but the garage i've spent far too long in this dinnertime said they'd only give me £366 for it, it being an old 1.8cdi diesel c-max. i wan't expecting £1205 cos i know it's in a state but i was expecting nearer £1000? most of the damage is superficial.

edit to add, been on the phone to webuyanycar in york and even with my description of the state of the motor and what evans halshaw said, they reckon i should get £900. i'll find out next monday when i take it down there.

i'm quite looking forward to evans halshaw following up my test drive. the girl who i dealt with was lovely, when i said i wasn't impressed with their valuation the manager came over, he wasn't, he was a right soppy condescending arse, like the worst type of primary school teacher.

anyone any experience of this sort of thing???
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Quiffy wrote:my old car, a c-max with over 100,000 on the clock, is costing a regular whack in repairs at the moment so i'm thinking of trading it in for a smaller family car. i took a shine to a ford focus that was an 11 plate diesel with 35,000 miles. all good except it was a diesel, hence being what i reckon is a good price of £5600. i've got a couple of questions though....

i know diesels aren't considered eco friendly and they plan to increase taxes on them, this one is a 'euro 5 diesel' does anyone know if it's worth avoiding cos of these costs in the future? all i've read so far seems to suggest that if i pootle round york it shouldn't be too much to worry about.

secondly, my old car is a heap, 2 kids have grown up in it spilling drive through drinks and vomitting etc. it's done trips to the tip and has multiple scratches from the bush at the end of the drive and other minor scuffs and scrapes. webuyanycar.com said they'd give me £1205 if it was in top condition, it isn't and i haven't yet been to find out what they would give me, but the garage i've spent far too long in this dinnertime said they'd only give me £366 for it, it being an old 1.8cdi diesel c-max. i wan't expecting £1205 cos i know it's in a state but i was expecting nearer £1000? most of the damage is superficial.

edit to add, been on the phone to webuyanycar in york and even with my description of the state of the motor and what evans halshaw said, they reckon i should get £900. i'll find out next monday when i take it down there.

i'm quite looking forward to evans halshaw following up my test drive. the girl who i dealt with was lovely, when i said i wasn't impressed with their valuation the manager came over, he wasn't, he was a right soppy condescending arse, like the worst type of primary school teacher.

anyone any experience of this sort of thing???

I've done the webuyanycar thing, absolute cowboys, I got offered less than I'd hoped but ultimately did the deal anyway as by the time I'd gone through the evaluation I'd lost the will to live and, ultimately, everyone knows I was there for the same reason anyone is: selling private is too much hassle/the car isn't in a good enough state to sell to someone outside the trade without further hassle post sale. I was left gutted I declared a faulty gearbox (£160 deduction and the reasons I was selling. £160 in the trade, more than the car was worth to me, minimum of £500, potentially £2k depending on what they found after stripping it down) - they'd not have noticed on the day and it'd have offset the other bullshit.

If you're serious, clean the car up, go round it forensically and declare it all on their website, just see what it does to the valuation. Be prepared for them to identify scratches, chips, rust spots on every panel (how they categorise makes a difference, they're keen to classify things worse than they actually are, naturally, worst item on a panel counts for the whole panel and they seem to have a totting up procedure - 5 minor scratches = 1 rust spot or similar nonsense). They will try to tell you half the car has been re-sprayed at some point due to orange peel effect (I believe this is bullshit and many cars drive off the forecourt with this effect these days but I'm no expert - tarting it up with that diamond bright stuff might alleviate this one but also might cost more than it saves). They will check tyre tread too and they're tight cunts on that, new tyres are £60 a pop and they will claim they'll have to be replaced ahead of any resale.

They'll probably not do much on a mechanical side of things, just start it up but not actually drive anyway (assuming they see you've driven it there) but worth declaring stuff on and off on the website to see what it does to the value.

I know nothing other than what you've been offered but I'd wager they'll offer you around £600. The best price you'd get would be by stripping it down and selling the parts via ebay, you don't even need to really know what you're doing so long as you're careful and have somewhere to store it for the amount of time it takes to gut it (and a way to dispose of what's left).

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:50 pm

autotraders trade in value was £680, so anything more than that is a win as that became my budgeted figure. luckily the chap on the phone at webuyanycar became quite animated, pardon his french, when i told him evans halshaw had offered £366, so i hope he maintains his professional pride and whoops them on the price when i get round to taking it for them to mock.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:20 pm

Quiffy wrote:luckily the chap on the phone at webuyanycar became quite animated, pardon his french, when i told him evans halshaw had offered £366, so i hope he maintains his professional pride and whoops them on the price when i get round to taking it for them to mock.

Are you prepared for him to come in at £400?
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:31 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
Quiffy wrote:luckily the chap on the phone at webuyanycar became quite animated, pardon his french, when i told him evans halshaw had offered £366, so i hope he maintains his professional pride and whoops them on the price when i get round to taking it for them to mock.

Are you prepared for him to come in at £400?

no. :burnley: :mrgreen:

i'll get the hump. he said i should be getting £900, or £850 at least.

i may well go to the kia garage across the road first, as they've got a nice cheap little number with a few years warranty left that i've got my eye on before visiting webuuyanycar and tell them they'll give me £900, acting all humble and modest, as though i've just climbed down from £1200 just for them, just in case webuyanycar try anything underhand. fingers crossed kia will offer £800 or something and i win.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: o/t car advice

Postby welshwhite » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

Take it to your local eastern european people and pay 30 quid for a full valet.
It will bump up the extra value way over the 30 quid you've spent.

Stick in a couple of poundshop car air fresheners and its ready to go :thumbl:

User avatar
Quiffy
Joined: Thu May 01, 2008 6:56 pm

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Quiffy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:28 pm

welshwhite wrote:Take it to your local eastern european people and pay 30 quid for a full valet.
It will bump up the extra value way over the 30 quid you've spent.

Stick in a couple of poundshop car air fresheners and its ready to go :thumbl:


:thumbl: might well do that. our local eastern europeans are only £25 and i'll go and spend 25 minutes in the garden centre cafe, might do some christmas shopping. they give a free air freshener for that which isn't bad for covering the smell of spilt milk from 2 years ago. i don't treat my tesco shopping so roughly now.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

User avatar
Oheddieeddie
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 pm
Location: Tacky with sweat and poisonous particulates.

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:17 pm

Evans Halshaw tried the old highball phoneroo price with me, and despite the car actually being in better nick than I'd described offered me about half when I got there. It's a game for them and they WILL fuck you over given half the chance, so don't go in with any illusions of fair play and a good deal for all. (The women there are worse than the men, they are not flirting with you, they are cold hearted dead behind the eyes assassins)

The only way to win is to be prepared to go through with walking away thing after you've taken up half his morning. It's combat. Smile, play the game and remember you are dealing with an utter cunt. All else is delusion

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: o/t car advice

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:21 am

I’m amazed that anyone would still touch webuyanycar. Be honest (ish), stick it on eBay starting maybe £150 below what you’d really like and if it doesn’t sell, fuck it, you’ve only lost a week and a few bob in listing fees.

User avatar
welshwhite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Re: o/t car advice

Postby welshwhite » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 am

Gumtree would be better than eBay, no fees and you'd get locals coming to view it.

https://www.gumtree.com/cars/leeds


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests