o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
topbin

Re: o/t car advice

Postby topbin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I recon you're screwed for tomorrow. Not convinced by a 5 day grace period at all, but even if it exists, for the MOT it'd presumably exclude anything termed as dangerous but even then, I think you only have until the other certificate expires at most - my thinking was that the new certificate supercedes the last and as its all computerised, you're probably listed by the DVLA as not having a valid MOT.

As for the tax disc, maybe a 5 day grace period could cover you ifyour tax disc was in the post, but again, it'd be on the DVLA computer.

Yeah I'm kind of erring towards the cautious side as well. Apparently there's cameras and all kinds of shit everywhere that clock your car and check everything's up to date [I've been frantically googling this without paying any kind of attention to source credibility in the hope of finding the answer I want; that bit of info may have come from David Icke/the illuminati etc...]

I think my only option is to leave the car at the garage off-road until they've MOTd it, then immediately buy the tax disc online on my phone before setting off from the garage back home. Though I think I technically *should* declare it SORN for the two day period, I think that might just confuse the system.

Most systems leave a bit of leeway for idiots - not this one, it seems.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:04 pm

It's not the crimiest crime, TBH. I've been there.

The real issue is that if you have an accident where a defect in your car can be identified as something which would have been picked up by an MoT (eg dodgy brakes), you're probably not insured.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:05 pm

Aye, I'd save SORN for a longer period too, there has to be leeway with that.

topbin

Postby topbin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:29 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:It's not the crimiest crime, TBH. I've been there.

The real issue is that if you have an accident where a defect in your car can be identified as something which would have been picked up by an MoT (eg dodgy brakes), you're probably not insured.

Aye, it's dodgy brakes and tyres, so they'd probably find an excuse not to pay out, probably not worth the risk.

Phil LUFC wrote:Aye, I'd save SORN for a longer period too, there has to be leeway with that.

I'm not buying the 'has to be leeway', but I think it'd be a mean ol' judge who did me up like a kipper for 2 days worth of no tax under the circumstances.

As an addendum, it's pretty fucking shitty not to send you an MOT reminder, isn't it? I mean, I only realised when I had to tax it, and that only came through the post just over a week ago. If I had kids or owt to ferry around, it'd be a real pain that I was without a car for a couple of days. As it is, I just have to hawk around for a lift to 5-a-side tomorrow...

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:31 pm

Automatic numberplate recognition is on main routes AFAIK, not sure about little hops around Leeds, could easily hit one... probably safe to assume you might hit one. (Anyone remember when that scheme was 'to analyse traffic flow and ease congestion' by tracking individual cars?)

What happens when you do, I dunno - is it linked to auto check DVLA records? They might in practice grace it for a few, who knows. Potentially costly if not.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I received a parking fine demand for £100 from a private company who kindly sent me pictures of my car entering and leaving the car park concerned. Now I was definitely not driving and indeed wasn't even in the car at the time. According to my research this is a civil contract matter and as I wasn't there to accept the contract I can not be forced to pay this fine or indeed tell them who was driving (even if I was actually sure who was driving as I wasn't there). Anyone else had this issue and is my research correct?
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:53 pm

ECHR says you can take this line of ignorance and refuse to incriminate your wife for driving at the time.

Not that my Mrs took it up when I got flashed on a gatso driving her car, she dobbed me the cunt :mrgreen:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:55 pm

Blackwhite wrote:ECHR says you can take this line of ignorance and refuse to incriminate your wife for driving at the time.

Not that my Mrs took it up when I got flashed on a gatso driving her car, she dobbed me the cunt :mrgreen:

Please note that at no time did I mention anything about my wife driving.......
We had a meeting at work today and I was asked what steps I would take in the event of a fire. Apparently "fucking big ones" wasn't the right answer

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:05 pm

SimonB wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:ECHR says you can take this line of ignorance and refuse to incriminate your wife for driving at the time.

Please note that at no time did I mention anything about my wife driving.......

:lol: sure, sure.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:06 pm

SimonB wrote:I received a parking fine demand for £100 from a private company who kindly sent me pictures of my car entering and leaving the car park concerned. Now I was definitely not driving and indeed wasn't even in the car at the time. According to my research this is a civil contract matter and as I wasn't there to accept the contract I can not be forced to pay this fine or indeed tell them who was driving (even if I was actually sure who was driving as I wasn't there). Anyone else had this issue and is my research correct?

Ignore it entirely. Private parking tickets are nothing but invoices and to force you to pay up they would need to take you to court which they can't and won't do.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:13 pm

Does it not get registered as an unpaid debt, with implications for your credit rating? Or does the lack of a contract prevent this?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:32 pm

gazurtoids wrote:Does it not get registered as an unpaid debt, with implications for your credit rating? Or does the lack of a contract prevent this?

Didn't think of this issue. Although as my credit rating is pretty good I doubt that this will have any major impact. Presumably I could challenge any credit assessment made on that basis as the parking fine is not mine?

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:36 pm

SimonB wrote:
gazurtoids wrote:Does it not get registered as an unpaid debt, with implications for your credit rating? Or does the lack of a contract prevent this?

Didn't think of this issue. Although as my credit rating is pretty good I doubt that this will have any major impact. Presumably I could challenge any credit assessment made on that basis as the parking fine is not mine?

How's your wife's?

SimonB

Postby SimonB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:39 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
SimonB wrote:

How's your wife's?

Pretty good thanks to my money..... :mrgreen:

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:52 pm

thechubbyone wrote:
SimonB wrote:I received a parking fine demand for £100 from a private company who kindly sent me pictures of my car entering and leaving the car park concerned. Now I was definitely not driving and indeed wasn't even in the car at the time. According to my research this is a civil contract matter and as I wasn't there to accept the contract I can not be forced to pay this fine or indeed tell them who was driving (even if I was actually sure who was driving as I wasn't there). Anyone else had this issue and is my research correct?

Ignore it entirely. Private parking tickets are nothing but invoices and to force you to pay up they would need to take you to court which they can't and won't do.

I got a parking ticket at the Everton cup match, for parking somewhere I've parked many times before and sinse without issues. The first I knew about this ticket was as it moved up my widscreen and flew off as I drove up Elland Road :mrgreen: (it was dark, hence I didn't see it when getting in the car, and very wet, hence it didn't stay securely stuck on my car for long), so far they haven't written to me about it.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:08 pm

For it to negatively impact your credit rating they would need to take you to court which they simply won't do.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:11 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:
thechubbyone wrote:

I got a parking ticket at the Everton cup match, for parking somewhere I've parked many times before and sinse without issues. The first I knew about this ticket was as it moved up my widscreen and flew off as I drove up Elland Road :mrgreen: (it was dark, hence I didn't see it when getting in the car, and very wet, hence it didn't stay securely stuck on my car for long), so far they haven't written to me about it.

If they haven't been in touch since then I imagine it was a private ticket and therefore they've never bothered chasing it up. Unless they fuck up, the council will always send a follow up letter and are able to legally enforce fines. That's a clear distinction - the council can issue fines whereas a private company can only issue invoices.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:37 pm

Yeah, would have been private, was on the Revie Road industrial estate which has had signs up all season, except I was parked at the roadside rather than in any of the car parks (and the week before I'd specifically asked the guy they had there waiting with his pile of tickets if I'd parked in an area covered to be told no). I was prepared to argue against it if/when they contacted me.

If its the council, its another matter, the bastards! Got caught in a bus lane in sheffield last year, having not driven into sheffield city centre for about 3 years I had no idea that they'd re-labelled my usual route to our office there as a bus route. Actually spotted that one and turned off, but ended up in another while trying to work out how to get where I needed to be - when I argued my case, and said I didn't live round here, there sent me all the public info they distributed at the time of doing the work to say it was well publicised.... but not in fucking scunny it wasn't!

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Yeah, would have been private, was on the Revie Road industrial estate which has had signs up all season, except I was parked at the roadside rather than in any of the car parks (and the week before I'd specifically asked the guy they had there waiting with his pile of tickets if I'd parked in an area covered to be told no). I was prepared to argue against it if/when they contacted me.

You're better off not wasting your time. In corresponding you're more likely to say something to incriminate yourself and/or just encourage them.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm

thechubbyone wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Yeah, would have been private, was on the Revie Road industrial estate which has had signs up all season, except I was parked at the roadside rather than in any of the car parks (and the week before I'd specifically asked the guy they had there waiting with his pile of tickets if I'd parked in an area covered to be told no). I was prepared to argue against it if/when they contacted me.

You're better off not wasting your time. In corresponding you're more likely to say something to incriminate yourself and/or just encourage them.

Depends on how much of a case I think I have to be fair. I wouldn't have bothered on the bus lane one but was advised to. Only other time its been applicable was for a parking ticket for parking in a disabled bay with a disabled badge clearly displayed, they did me for putting it on the dash sideways rather than upright. Managed to win that appeal, but it's fucking ridiculous when you get jobsworths that picky in the first place.

Return to “The Square Ball”