o/t car advice

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
the flying pig

o/t car advice

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:53 am

Revival of a popular past thread.

I only have on-street parking where I live. Overnight some traitor to the human race stole all four of my hubcaps on my slightly scratched & not-very-smart 2007 ford focus. I was literally hopping mad when I noticed.

Three questions for SB'ers, since i still know nothing at all about cars - only the missus really drives ours.

(1) should i replace them or just leave the car without [it doesn't look great]?
(2) if replace, what's the best option - generic ones for about £15-£20 per set or ford ones for about the same price per wheel?
(3) are there any future steps i could take to discourage theft after i've replaced?

Thanks

Ponte

Re: o/t car advice

Postby Ponte » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 am

Alright, who's first?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

topbin

o/t car advice

Postby topbin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 am

Karma's a bitch.

Anyway, just get some cheap locking ones. Saves it from happening again.

Disco Dan
Site Admin

o/t car advice

Postby Disco Dan » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:15 am

Cable ties are a cheap way to discourage hub cap theft. Of course, the canny thief may carry a pair of snippers, in which case your planning is redundant.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 am

Ponte wrote:Alright, who's first?

Continuum etc
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:16 am

Disco Dan wrote:Cable ties are a cheap way to discourage hub cap theft. Of course, the canny thief may carry a pair of snippers, in which case your planning is redundant.

Yes, they are a cunning bunch
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:18 am

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:23 am

topbin wrote:...Anyway, just get some cheap locking ones. Saves it from happening again.

mightn't cheap generic ones:

1 - leave me more vulnerable to theft since all car owners, rather than only Ford owners, would potentially want them; and
2 - look rubbish?

thanks

topbin

o/t car advice

Postby topbin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 am

the flying pig wrote:
topbin wrote:...Anyway, just get some cheap locking ones. Saves it from happening again.

1 - leave me more vulnerable to theft since all car owners, rather than only Ford owners, would potentially want them; and
2 - look rubbish?

thanks

I think you can get cheap(ish) ones that lock, i.e. one of the bolts is a funny shape so you can only undo it with a special adaptor.

Might look shit, yes, but your other option is more expensive, so... Guess it depends on how much you want your wife to look good when she's prowling the streets.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 am

the flying pig wrote:

2 - look rubbish?

thanks

1 - No, since cheap, generic ones put you in the same class as everyone else, so you're less likely to be picked on. They took Ford 'cause they wanted Ford. They can get the others without revisiting your address.

2 - Who cares? They're fucking hub caps. You don't care. No, you really don't.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:35 am

the flying pig wrote:s on my slightly scratched & not-very-smart 2007 ford focus.

(1) should i replace them or just leave the car without [it doesn't look great]?

Well it sounds like you ain't that fussed about how your cars looks so maybe not bother replacing them?

Also however has stolen your hubcaps might possibly make a return visit in a month when they may think you will have replaced them?
Alternatively it may have been revenge for a past indiscretion and it signals the end of a vendetta, in that case replace them.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:34 am

Or next time you clip a car, slow down and see if any hub caps fall off the victim's wheels.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

barry white

Postby barry white » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:41 pm

You see them on the roadside all the time, just use some of them. It’s recycling and the sub-humans won’t steal your new variety set :thumbl:

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:27 pm

Get some cheap ones, if you're happy with the look, and more importantly the missus is, job done and if they're obviously cheap, noone will take them. Cable ties are a good idea, added benefit that the cheap shit ones you buy won't then just fall off while the missus is driving you about.

thechubbyone

Postby thechubbyone » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Do they sell large, inflatable ones? I'm picturing something like the things they put in bowling alleys for kids - should be a lot kinder to your neighbours' cars.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:52 pm

Are you sure that your misses hasn't kerbed the car? Sounds more plausible to me than some cunt robbing them.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:24 pm

OWETB wrote:Are you sure that your misses hasn't kerbed the car? Sounds more plausible to me than some cunt robbing them.

i doubt it. it'd need to have been a spectacular kerbing to account for all four of the wheels.

these are the mean streets of saaf london. daft stuff gets twoc-ed all the time. i don't think i've kept a dustbin lid for more than a few months in 10 years of living there. and on the one day that just by chance i happened to only remember to lock my front door with t'yale rather than that plus the big chubb lock someone happened to pick the lock & help themselves to a few choice possessions. this 'coincidence' in timings suggests to me that something similar is attempted on almost [here i exagerate for effect] a daily basis.

moscowhite

Postby moscowhite » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:34 pm

the flying pig wrote: i don't think i've kept a dustbin lid for more than a few months

I've just had a great idea about your new hubcaps...
'If you give Leeds the ball, they will make you dance.' - Johan Cruyff

topbin

Postby topbin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:23 am

So, liking to live life 'on the edge', I have booked my car in for M.O.T. today, with 30th April being the last day of my old certificate. The silly little bugger needs new tyres and brake pads for it to pass, which can't be done until Thursday.

Now, I also couldn't get a new tax disc until I had a new M.O.T. (or so I thought) as it, for some reason, wasn't on the DVLA website as being MOTd last time, though I did have the certificate (which I don't now have with me to pick one up today). As such, it'll be Friday at the earliest I can pick up a new tax disc.

Am I breaking the law if I drive the car tomorrow? i.e. out of date tax disc and no official M.O.T.? I'm allowed to drive it to the MOT station on Thursday morning without it being a problem, but I was told by someone or other that there was some grace period of 5 days or something.

I've had a look around on dvla etc, but can't find an answer. Are there any itk guys around here who can help?

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:48 am

I recon you're screwed for tomorrow. Not convinced by a 5 day grace period at all, but even if it exists, for the MOT it'd presumably exclude anything termed as dangerous but even then, I think you only have until the other certificate expires at most - my thinking was that the new certificate supercedes the last and as its all computerised, you're probably listed by the DVLA as not having a valid MOT.

As for the tax disc, maybe a 5 day grace period could cover you ifyour tax disc was in the post, but again, it'd be on the DVLA computer.

Return to “The Square Ball”