Takeover thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: Takeover thread

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 pm

jackos wrote:
Tommy wrote:Phil Hay mentioned that nobody at the 49ers remembered our previous dalliance with them and they got to know Radrizzani independently through other channels before he bought Leeds Utd. Could be true or a deliberate attempt to distance this from GFH.

Marathe has a very short/selective memory then, there's newspapers interviews with him from 2014 as well. Big difference this time is that they've put money behind their words

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... rs-link-up

10 Jan 2014
UNITED ANNOUNCE 49ERS LINK-UP
Paraag Marathe, Chief Operating Officer of the 49ers, said: “The 49ers are very excited about the prospect of partnering with Leeds United, a club with an international following as well as great history and tradition.

“We look forward to sharing best practices with Leeds United and providing them with our perspective on the sports industry. This is an exciting opportunity for us to link up with an English football club and learn from each other.”

interesting. so he denied any prior exchanges with leeds this week, but radz claims to have been long time friends with this guy, which means this guy could have been the catalyst for radz investing in leeds.

obviously as radz's mate he would want to make sure that radz didn't pay too much for us, so like some illimunati figure, he's kept us pootling along in the slow lane until radz bought us out. it all makes sense.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Fri May 25, 2018 1:53 pm

jackos wrote:
Yeboah wrote:this is literally fuck all....to them

We really have no idea how much they've invested, somewhere between 8-20m based on articles today, my guess is 8-10. I doubt that it is fuck all to them, or that they want to be associated with a failure.

Yeboah wrote:the 49ers are paying their QB $27.5 m a year on a five year deal. That's one player from an eventual squad of 53.

What they pay their players is irrelevant to their investment in our club, that's their core business and what makes money, it's the biggest sport in the world's biggest economy, course their best players are well paid.

Not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or not, but I'll humour you. The comment around salary means they pay 1 player for about 7 games the same amount as they've invested in us.

Phil Hay is saying just under £10m today and as the niners are worth £2bn, the amount invested is, IMO, the very definition of fuck all.

Failure wise, the Niners didn't win any of their first 11 games last season (16 game regular season). And finished bottom of their division for the 3rd year running.they haven't been to the playoff/postseason since 2013 and haven't won the Superbowl since 1994. They are not flushed with recent success.

The economic model over there is very different, with pooled merchandise revenue, equal TV money split and salary caps and no promotion or relegation. Failure is relative for them with little cost.

Tommy

Takeover thread

Postby Tommy » Fri May 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Quiffy wrote:interesting. so he denied any prior exchanges with leeds this week, but radz claims to have been long time friends with this guy, which means this guy could have been the catalyst for radz investing in leeds.

obviously as radz's mate he would want to make sure that radz didn't pay too much for us, so like some illimunati figure, he's kept us pootling along in the slow lane until radz bought us out. it all makes sense.

This is definitely the most well thought out ‘pretend we’re rich’ scenario I’ve heard (and believe me I read about five per week on Twitter) but it’s not the case. Radrizzani was tipped off about Leeds by Kenny Dalglish and the former had previously, coincidentally been out in the Bay Area in 2014 to discuss advancements in new media. It’s likely that Jed York was introduced to Radrizzani through Riccardo Silva of MP & Silva (who also owns Miami FC). I don’t think we have or will be seeing York’s money any time soon, the shares we sold were to the investment arm of the 49ers, which he doesn’t really have any involvement in on a day to day basis.

I don’t want to sound unduly cynical because there’s every chance I’m wrong but I feel like we’ve seen this film before. Under Cellino we sold McCormack, Byram & Cook, which then paid for a flurry of mostly foreign signings. When that money dried up he eventually found a minority shareholder to bring in funds. Under Radrizzani we sold Wood & Taylor, which then paid for a flurry of mostly foreign signings. Now that money has dried up we’ve brought in a minority shareholder. Mike Thornton suggests that this isn’t cause for alarm and chances are he’s right but I for one can’t help but wonder if Radrizzani has basically reached the limit he can justify spending on this project. Obviously $10m is much better than nowt but when you consider the money the parachute payment clubs receive and Wolves spending £67m on players it’s a fairly paltry sum by modern standards.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Tommy wrote:
Quiffy wrote:interesting. so he denied any prior exchanges with leeds this week, but radz claims to have been long time friends with this guy, which means this guy could have been the catalyst for radz investing in leeds.

This is definitely the most well thought out ‘pretend we’re rich’ scenario I’ve heard (and believe me I read about five per week on Twitter) but it’s not the case.

cheers tommy, it was a flippant fishing trip and the idea of it being well thought out makes me feel quite honoured.

everyone loves a conspiracy theory.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

jackos

Postby jackos » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 am

Ownership statement updated ..

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am

Don’t know how to embed tweets. Moscow just RT’d the above. Apparently 49ers stand to get 17% of the club if we don’t go up by 2021

Edit to add tweet and amend from 21% to 17% :salute:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 am

Too embed tweets, just use the "copy link to tweet" option and paste it straight in. Preview the post and it should resolve.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:08 am

MightyWhite wrote:https://twitter.com/kieranmaguire/status/1015468148345200640?s=21

Don’t know how to embed tweets. Moscow just RT’d the above. Apparently 49ers stand to get 21% of the club if we don’t go up by 2021

The image seems to say 17% (12 rising to 13, 15, 17 for each year without promotion). It also appears to say the club is worth £32.8m (number of shares at £1 each) so that would imply the linkup is worth £4m (12% of that).

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:23 am

Blackwhite wrote:Too embed tweets, just use the "copy link to tweet" option and paste it straight in. Preview the post and it should resolve.

Shit, that’s almost too easy. I was pissing about with IMG and URL codes :scratch: Amended original post
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

jackos

Postby jackos » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Eleven Sports open their wallet again.

Yeboah

Postby Yeboah » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Just as the world's most marketable footballer arrives too! Nice timing...

FER

Postby FER » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:42 am

They're launching 2 streaming channels to show Serie A (sponsored by TIM) and La Liga.
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Radz potentially on the verge of (part) buying Bari, unless it's just Italian Twitter bollocks.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:Radz potentially on the verge of (part) buying Bari, unless it's just Italian Twitter bollocks.

Seen that yesterday, and was wondering, what the fuck like. Is he trying to buy a club in every league in the world......
Andymac

jackos

Postby jackos » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:26 pm

Would be happy to see him fuck of to Bari if he sold a majority stake in our club to the 49ers.

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:44 am

I wouldn't rule it out, it's the logical next step. It is increasingly comical to see how much Radrizzani's tenure has mirrored Cellino's, albeit in fast forward and less abrasive.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:22 am

Yep, would be quite happy to see him go.

From the outside it will look like he has done a good job and got the club viable again. Having the ground back will make a sale more easy and more profitable.

His appointments and decision making have been poor, no indication that this will change.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:27 am

rss1969 wrote:Yep, would be quite happy to see him go.

From the outside it will look like he has done a good job and got the club viable again. Having the ground back will make a sale more easy and more profitable.

His appointments and decision making have been poor, no indication that this will change.

just remind me, how long has he been in sole charge? 1 year.

i'm not saying he hasn't made grave errors of judgement, but give the man a chance to learn. on the pitch we've gone from hiring a chap who'd done quite well in cyprus to the ex-manager of argentina and chile. that's progress.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:36 am

If he fucks off I'll pay for his air fare, he's out of his league with us....We're not Port Vale.

If he stays we'll lose all our good young players within the next two years.

rss1969

Postby rss1969 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:30 am

Quiffy wrote:
rss1969 wrote:Yep, would be quite happy to see him go.

just remind me, how long has he been in sole charge? 1 year.

i'm not saying he hasn't made grave errors of judgement, but give the man a chance to learn. on the pitch we've gone from hiring a chap who'd done quite well in cyprus to the ex-manager of argentina and chile. that's progress.

I agree with your points to an extent. It is only progress if he is properly backed with good signings. So far that is not the case as 2 of the 1st choice targets that were lined up are now out of our reach/budget and we have had to dip into the loan market for a keeper who has 34 games worth of experience at this level (although he may well turn out to be decent).

By your own admission he has been in charge 1 year and has made several grave errors of judgement. Surely Kinnear & Orta were supposed to be the safety nets for this type of thing? They are looking like errors of judgement in themselves.

His first fuck up was the PR exercise to get rid of Monk. I will never accept that he had the slightest thought of retaining him and made sure his position was untenable but this seems to have been airbrushed away and Monk made out to be the villain of the piece. Then TC who apart from a good/fortunate start was out of his depth, then the badge issue, then selling off good players and replacing them with shite that has taken half of a transfer window to ship out. Heck, Myanmar.

His chance is now, Lets hope he takes it and brings in 3/4 quality players but it does not look good so far.

Return to “The Square Ball”