O/T The NHS Appreciation Memorial Thread

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Blackwhite

Re: O/T The NHS Appreciation Memorial Thread

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 12, 2017 7:12 pm

Well it needs it like a hole in the head, but various hospitals within the NHS are under a sustained cyber attack which has locked down just about everything. Held to ransom, apparently, the little cunts. Operations cancelled, no test results obtainable, proper shitshow. I only logged on to guardian to see what was going on back home, thought it was a joke at first...
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Phatphil65

Postby Phatphil65 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:26 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Well it needs it like a hole in the head, but various hospitals within the NHS are under a sustained cyber attack which has locked down just about everything. Held to ransom, apparently, the little cunts. Operations cancelled, no test results obtainable, proper shitshow. I only logged on to guardian to see what was going on back home, thought it was a joke at first...

Proper fucking shit storm. But hopefully short term. Ain't really nothing (hopefully) comparedto the sustained buggering the absolutely fantastic NHS has had, is and will receive from Skeletor and her mindless and heartless hordes. I am a Father of 3, Grandfather of 1 and have recovered from liver cancer and two liver transplants. Would not be able to post this without the heroes who work their bollocks off for little general recognition and poorer wages.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 12, 2017 9:50 pm

I think you and Dale are in some kind of one-upmanship medical situation, mate :mrgreen:

God bless the NHS and all who sail because of her :salute:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

Quiffy

Postby Quiffy » Sun May 14, 2017 2:55 pm

open heart surgery on tuesday, home by sunday. :D :D :D

they're bloody amazing those surgeons and nurses at leeds children's heart surgery. :thumbl: :salute:
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm

Good lad, told you, fucking Trojan... :thumbl: :bounce:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun May 14, 2017 4:13 pm

Blackwhite wrote:Well it needs it like a hole in the head, but various hospitals within the NHS are under a sustained cyber attack ...

... And thanks to this mensch, it's all over.... For now.

Nice of his boss to give him another week off, during which I expect him to find the smoking Trump gun and cure several cancers.

FredFlintstone

Postby FredFlintstone » Sun May 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Quiffy wrote:open heart surgery on tuesday, home by sunday. :D :D :D

they're bloody amazing those surgeons and nurses at leeds children's heart surgery. :thumbl: :salute:

Great stuff Quiffy, hope he's back up and about soon :)

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Fri May 26, 2017 5:04 pm

NHS kicks arse...

Heroes all
:salute:
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 26, 2017 6:20 pm

Wakefield White wrote:NHS kicks arse...

Heroes all
:salute:

The other guys I love in this area, real battlefield life saving that gets little to no recognition from the public, is MSF, Medecins Sans Frontieres. Absolute heroes.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:23 pm

Mrs O had a skin cancer thing removed on her face last week. Ended up with a scar and stitches about an inch and a bit long next to her eye. Now she’s a ballsy bird and she’s far from obsessed with her appearance, but she obviously found the whole thing troubling. Originally they said she’d need a skin graft to avoid pulling her eye out of shape.

But then afterwards, the surgeon said no, we’re good, managed to do it without the graft. Today she went to get the stitches out and the nurse said it was about the neatest sewing job she’d ever seen.

Long and short of it is we’ve come away thinking you absolute fucking diamond bastards :cheers:

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Glad she's sorted Eric. Hopefully the pathologist's all-clear verdict will be the reassuring cherry on the cake.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm

Yep. Got to wait about 6 weeks I think.

My grandad was from Leeds

Postby My grandad was from Leeds » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 pm

Not in the UK at the moment.Got a message from big sis saying our dad had sepsis early hours Sunday morning.Luckily the paramedics recognised the symptoms and took the appropriate course of action.

Thanks very much NHS.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:13 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Yep. Got to wait about 6 weeks I think.

Bet you a pint she'll get the all clear.

I feel awful saying this but I'm surrounded by immunotherapists right now, and if it helps at all in worst case scenario thinking, melanoma is just about the most responsive tumour to these therapies, bar none, and that's in folks with metastatic disease.

She'll be reet :thumbl:

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 am

My mate just had a son.
Here’s how he announced it...

If God is actually real and we are created in his image then some woman really must've hurt him bad the day before he came up with the list of things ladies have to go through during pregnancy.
the contractions started with alex messaging me on facebook to come upstairs but "its probably nothing"
we stayed at home after a few calls to the mid wife but then decided to make our way when the contractions were 4 every 10 minutes
Its my and Alex's first baby so we were two rookies walking into pregnancy where the only experience either of us had was though sit coms. (which is about as applicable as some one believing they could perform an actual surgery after mastering the board game Operation)
Alex had decided to not use drugs and have a natural birth which was mildly shocking to me as i cant even listen to dance music sober so the thought of passing a tiny human with only aroma therapy and a hot bath seemed to me a tad over confident.
after a few hours in the hospital and increasingly heavy contractions and a dip in the pool. morphine was decided on to save alex's sanity and the bone structure of my hand that she had been squeezing.
after the pain of the contractions had beaten the soothing powers of morphine (which is something even dying towns in northern scotland cant do!)
Alex asked for the epidural. i fully backed this decision. if this had been a boxing match it would have been stopped fifteen times. the only reason pregnancy is legal is because we'd die of as a species with out it.
the mid wife returned to the scented room with some bad news. the anesthetist was experiencing a crisis and seeing as we were low risk we were moved to the back of the cue and it would be 4 hours before they could see us.
i quickly extended my good hand for Alex to squeeze. id never seen words hit her that hard. i hated it too. watching the woman you love and share a life with suffer is no fun (after the first ten minutes)
one last check of how far alex was along showed us that the epidural was now impossible she was dilated to 9 and half centimetres. the baby was coming. the morphine had worn off and there was nothing else to do but deliver the baby.
alex took it straight on the chin. the damn baby with the wool sized head was a stubborn little sod. she pushed and pushed and after two hours in the push stage of what was already a 24 hour labour the baby arrived. the mid wife put it on Alex's chest but then quickly snatched it away as there was something wrong.
The baby wasn't crying and was white as a ghost. the mid wife looked at both of us and calmly said "the room is about to be full of people. don't panic. they're experts"
then she pushed a button and the room flooded with people. about 10 if i had to estimate.
all doing different things to my kid. Alex couldnt stop asking why the baby wasnt crying.
I went to her a stroked her hair. i told her not to worry and that it was just a precaution. i dont know if its better to lie in these situation as my face told an entirely different story.
i watched and hoped it was all gonna be alright as my mind shattered into avenues of disbelief and coping mechanisms.
then i saw his little chest going up and down. they had him in an resuscitator and he was responding.
Slowly colour seeped into his body and it was like my every hope and prayer for the situation had him directly.
They beckoned me over to be the first to hold the baby.
im sure some of the staff think im not going to be a good father from my initial evasiveness but the only reason was because i felt Alex should get first dibs.
She did all the hard work! i felt like a caterer for a movie that won an academy award accepting the trophy for best movie. "we all pitched in, but i'm the one who made the muffins!"
I reluctantly walked over to my son and picked him up. he was a bit shocked what with being born with the cord around his neck.
But he was happy to be with daddy. i turned to show him to Alex when i realized why she wasn't asked to hold the baby with her legs splayed in stirrups looking to all the world like something Hannibal Lecter did to his victims before he disappeared back into the night.
but i wouldn't be telling you any of this if it didn't have a happy ending of a perfectly healthy baby named Atticus Juri Wool
and just a massive thank you to all the staff at broomfield hospital in chelmsford
im not a rich man. and to have a system where at 2 30am in the morning on a tuesday. a person can press a button and 10 experts fill a room and save a life is magical.
and then after wards the only thing the parents have to worry about is how to thank them is pretty special.
if God was real, he'd make something like the NHS

:salute: to him, and to the NHS
I like it. What is it?

Devi

Postby Devi » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:52 am

And this, from Oxfam.fr, packs a brutal punch...

I like it. What is it?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:56 pm

Interesting day. My lad had a recurrence of the very recently cleared tonsillitis overnight. A call to 111 and then a trip to the out of hours GP resulted in being referred to A&E for suspected quinsy. As they were about to admit him to drain it and hook him up to IV antibiotics they took in mind the fact it was a 13 year old boy and it was Christmas Eve and hunted down the best oral antibiotics they could find, gave good pain killers to go with them and some strict instructions and let us home, rather than him and me waking up Christmas morning in hospital.
He’s home, feeling like shit but home.
Thank you, NHS staff :salute:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Hope he feels better soon, mate. Better enough to scarf down unholy amounts of food tomorrow, at any rate. Ice cream, 200cc, stat...

They just told you to watch for fever etc. presumably?

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:06 pm

Yeah, fever or worsening of the infection and take him back.
Situation could be better but could be much worse.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:01 pm

Had a couple of nasty bouts of tonsillitis when I was a boy, going onto that kind of secondary infection, usually resolved pretty quick. And I grew an inch...

He'll be fine no doubt :thumbl:

Return to “The Square Ball”