The happy old man thread...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Eddies Boots

Re: The happy old man thread...

Postby Eddies Boots » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:25 am

Started raining for the first time in months :D :D :D
Temperature has already dropped from 106F into the 80's, and its only 7pm.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:39 am

Havnt seen this before, but spat my tea out this morning. Martins Invisable piano, and Trumps accordian.
Andymac

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 am

The hallmark of a gentleman is that he never fastens the bottom button on a jacket - unless he's a squaddie on parade or paid to open the door for someone.

That fat motherfucking freak Martin Roberts and the way he ONLY fastens the bottom button? Utterly beyond the pale.
Member of a clique

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 am

Andymac-47 wrote:Havnt seen this before, but spat my tea out this morning. Martins Invisable piano, and Trumps accordian.

Trumps accordian has brightened up an otherwise shit start to the day. :lol:
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:21 am

I know Martin Roberts wasn’t ever a paragon of serious minded authority but I’ve lost any ability to take him seriously since he became a recurring character on Athletico Mince
Keep Fighting

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:27 am

Loved the free jazz accordion. Just beautiful.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:00 pm

Invested in one of those Amazon eero mesh WiFi things (well, 3) as they've knocked £100 off the price for prime day (and presumably right through to black friday), now have whole house WiFi and features you just don't get with a virgin media hub, most usefully I can turn off WiFi to the daughters stuff when she's taking the piss ahead of college tomorrow (then enjoy listening to the cogs turning as she ultimately thinks better of complaining the internet is down at quarter to 11) :cheers: . I've just set a profile that'll disable all her devices WiFi access at 10pm during the week.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:54 am

Phil LUFC wrote:Invested in one of those Amazon eero mesh WiFi things (well, 3) as they've knocked £100 off the price for prime day (and presumably right through to black friday), now have whole house WiFi and features you just don't get with a virgin media hub, most usefully I can turn off WiFi to the daughters stuff when she's taking the piss ahead of college tomorrow (then enjoy listening to the cogs turning as she ultimately thinks better of complaining the internet is down at quarter to 11) :cheers: . I've just set a profile that'll disable all her devices WiFi access at 10pm during the week.

Looking at that myself, any issues setting it up? Is the WiFi speed good compared to wired/powerline adaptors? My EE hub is a pile of shite, WiFi drops out regularly. This could be ideal, especially at the current price.
Conclave member

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:04 am

Ponte wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:Invested in one of those Amazon eero mesh WiFi things (well, 3) as they've knocked £100 off the price for prime day (and presumably right through to black friday), now have whole house WiFi and features you just don't get with a virgin media hub, most usefully I can turn off WiFi to the daughters stuff when she's taking the piss ahead of college tomorrow (then enjoy listening to the cogs turning as she ultimately thinks better of complaining the internet is down at quarter to 11) :cheers: . I've just set a profile that'll disable all her devices WiFi access at 10pm during the week.

Looking at that myself, any issues setting it up? Is the WiFi speed good compared to wired/powerline adaptors? My EE hub is a pile of shite, WiFi drops out regularly. This could be ideal, especially at the current price.

I only set it up yesterday, was a little bit of a pain initially but mostly getting the Virgin hub over into modem mode. If your BB provider insists you use their equipment and it doesn't have a modem mode it could be a problem but I researched in advance and knew it was compatible with Virgin.

Wasn't a 10 minute job, more like an hour and then the pain of changing the settings on every connected device, turns out we've got 30 things before I even got to the kids stuff. Still need to sort the boys out today.

Early signs are good though, wireless speed test over 100Mbps and I can get a medium signal to the eero further away from me (strong from the other 2). One of them is going in the boy's room as his pc doesn't have WiFi so I'll know more when it's not plugged in about 6 feet away from one of the others.

EDIT: Just to add, the reason for doing this was the poor quality internet the kids were struggling with. The boy had a netgear WiFi socket thing with Ethernet ports, it worked but his connection was very slow and the WiFi generated was flaky at best. Daughter's whole room was a deadspot to the main router (unless she sat right behind her door), to the point she couldn't use it reliably for college so has been sat in the kitchen for her zoom based days. In the last hour I've set up the 3rd eero properly (and a passable one to the device sat next to the router) and she has as strong a WiFi connection as the app on my phone can measure.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:20 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Ponte wrote:

I only set it up yesterday, was a little bit of a pain initially but mostly getting the Virgin hub over into modem mode. If your BB provider insists you use their equipment and it doesn't have a modem mode it could be a problem but I researched in advance and knew it was compatible with Virgin.

Wasn't a 10 minute job, more like an hour and then the pain of changing the settings on every connected device, turns out we've got 30 things before I even got to the kids stuff. Still need to sort the boys out today.

Early signs are good though, wireless speed test over 100Mbps and I can get a medium signal to the eero further away from me (strong from the other 2). One of them is going in the boy's room as his pc doesn't have WiFi so I'll know more when it's not plugged in about 6 feet away from one of the others.

EDIT: Just to add, the reason for doing this was the poor quality internet the kids were struggling with. The boy had a netgear WiFi socket thing with Ethernet ports, it worked but his connection was very slow and the WiFi generated was flaky at best and her whole room was a deadspot to the main router (unless she sat right behind her door), to the point the daughter couldn't use it reliably for college and has been sat in the kitchen for her zoom based days. In the last hour I've set up the 3rd eero properly (and a passable one to the device sat next to the router) and she has as strong a WiFi connection as the app on my phone can measure.

Ok, ta. I'll do some research on compatibility before I order them.
Conclave member

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:26 am

Ordered a Dualit Classic toaster last night.

When does my Metropolitan Liberal Elite membership pack come through, with the stickers and the badges an everything?
Member of a clique

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:32 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Ordered a Dualit Classic toaster last night.

When does my Metropolitan Liberal Elite membership pack come through, with the stickers and the badges an everything?

A Dualit Classic is God's way of telling you that you have too much money.
Will you be collecting it from the parcel office?
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:39 am

Phil LUFC wrote:
Ponte wrote:

EDIT: Just to add, the reason for doing this was the poor quality internet the kids were struggling with. The boy had a netgear WiFi socket thing with Ethernet ports, it worked but his connection was very slow and the WiFi generated was flaky at best. Daughter's whole room was a deadspot to the main router (unless she sat right behind her door), to the point she couldn't use it reliably for college so has been sat in the kitchen for her zoom based days. In the last hour I've set up the 3rd eero properly (and a passable one to the device sat next to the router) and she has as strong a WiFi connection as the app on my phone can measure.

I've decided to not bother as I could only use the eero in bridge mode with my EE router/modem smart hub, meaning it would be nothing more than a glorified range extender. Shame, Eero need to sort it out to suit the UK market a bit more. They say it is fine for most of the ISPs but they don't seem to recognise how common PPPoE is over here.
Conclave member

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:45 am

Mustafaster wrote:

:lol: click and collect from Waitrose, duh.

It's the economically logical choice innit, given that it'll last longer than ten £20 toasters. Just a shame I couldn't afford one 30 years ago, when it would have made more sense.
Member of a clique

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:57 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Mustafaster wrote:

It's the economically logical choice innit, given that it'll last longer than ten £20 toasters. Just a shame I couldn't afford one 30 years ago, when it would have made more sense.

It's depressing when you are worried your toaster will outlive you :lol:
Conclave member

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:58 am

Ponte wrote:It's depressing when you are worried your toaster will outlive you :lol:

It will; problem is that we've got to decide which of the kids to leave it to.
Member of a clique

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:23 am

eric olthwaite wrote:
Ponte wrote:It's depressing when you are worried your toaster will outlive you :lol:

It will be the cause of bitter internecine strife unto their graves.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:40 am

eric olthwaite wrote:

Leave it to the lowest paid one.

Linked to this, "it'll see me out" has become Dad's favourite phrase in the last few years.

Poshwhite

Postby Poshwhite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:49 am

eric olthwaite wrote:

It's a bit Trigger's Broom to be honest. The one we've had (house warming present from inlaws 13ish years ago) has needed various bits replacing (timer, elements) over the years. The outside is still original though. Would probably buy another when it's finally unrepairable though.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:13 am

Poshwhite wrote:It's a bit Trigger's Broom to be honest.

:mrgreen:
Member of a clique

Return to “The Square Ball”