The happy old man thread...

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:43 pm

We have the grumpy thread, so lets share our joy on this one...

A little thing I know, but I have an old school technics stack. I have had it for almost 20 years and it still pisses all over what is on the market now in build quality, looks and performance.

The only problem with it is the remote control, years of being knocked off the sofa arm has paid its price. Some of the buttons work but the ones used most don't. I have been searching for about a year for a new one to no avail. So, I took it to a repair shop who said they had mended it but it still didn't do what it is supposed to.

I went to Panasonic (makers of technics) and they had discontinued the remote 10 years ago and had not tucked any away in a little cupboard anywhere. I must have emailed 20+ retailers with still no luck. The remotes on the market that you train are no good because of the frequency or summat so I was stuck.

I was looking on ebay every week, nothing until 2 weeks ago. I found one, the only issue was it was in Poland and the seller had not very good feedback. I went for it, £18 delivered. It arrived this morning and works a fucking treat!!!

I feel like that fly fishing bloke, J. R. Hartley.

8)

MightyWhite

Re: The happy old man thread...

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:46 pm

OWETB wrote:A little thing I know, but I have an old school technics stack

What's that Grandad?
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Man Called Sun

Postby Man Called Sun » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:50 pm

I have a similar issue with my stereo, had it for about 15 years, sounds like a symphony, but the remote's knackered and needs replacing. The cheapest I've found is sixty quid. Sixty. Fuck off.
Float like a butterfly and sting like one.

OWETB

Postby OWETB » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
OWETB wrote:A little thing I know, but I have an old school technics stack

What's that Grandad?

It is a thing of beauty young man.

welshwhite

Postby welshwhite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:22 pm

last October we decided to take the boat out for a spot of fishing so the day before we were going i checked all the available weather forecasts-they were giving very light north/westerly winds so we said waahhay we're having some of that,

we got out to our usual mark and put the anchor out to begin our fishing and by then the seas were still and flat with just a light breeze blowing-not a hint of a storm about to blow up at anytime,

anyway i baited up both my rods and began fishing not expecting what was to happen withing the next fifteen minutes out there,

yes you have guessed it- i was just about to drink my cup of tea when i dropped the cunting cup on the deck,

as luck would have it there was no problem as it was the plastic cup belonging to the thermos flask and the day went ahead as planned.

hooray for plastic thermos flask cups :thumbl:

Oheddieeddie

Postby Oheddieeddie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:38 pm

welshwhite wrote:last October we decided to take the boat out for a spot of fishing so the day before we were going i checked all the available weather forecasts-they were giving very light north/westerly winds so we said waahhay we're having some of that,

we got out to our usual mark and put the anchor out to begin our fishing and by then the seas were still and flat with just a light breeze blowing-not a hint of a storm about to blow up at anytime,

anyway i baited up both my rods and began fishing not expecting what was to happen withing the next fifteen minutes out there,

yes you have guessed it- i was just about to drink my cup of tea when i dropped the cunting cup on the deck,

as luck would have it there was no problem as it was the plastic cup belonging to the thermos flask and the day went ahead as planned.

hooray for plastic thermos flask cups :thumbl:

More fishing related hillarity, every fucker wants to be JR bloody Hartley today :D

So er anyway I went to see Big Country in concert the other week. Really enjoyed it and picked up a (remastered) CD of an LP I used to have in the 80's by them. ("Steeltown") and it sounded nothing like as rich as it had on vinyl all those years ago (1984/5 ish) when I first bought it. So Ive decided Im going to get a stereo system with a turntable to play vinyl on, and then start looking round carboot sales to replace the old collection.

Anyone know where I can get a nice "Record Player" from, tecnics or otherwise? Im guessing a vintage one is a good idea, I did look at new ones but its all aimed towards wannabe home DJ's with usb ports and all that mularkey when I just want to play the old LPs. Ah simple pleasures, simple pleasures.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Sodastream Dandelion & Burdock is much better than you'd expect it to be.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Blackwhite

Postby Blackwhite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Sodastream Dandelion & Burdock is much better than you'd expect it to be.

Fentenmans (or however you spell them) do a v. good one too. Proper old skool british pop :salute:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

AndyPaul

Postby AndyPaul » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Of all the posters to start a thread like this :shock: Well I never, I have a new faith in the world, things are going to be better from now on, I can feel it. If a sick cunt like B@stard can find bring positivity to this forum anything is possible.

gazurtoids

Postby gazurtoids » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Sodastream Dandelion & Burdock is much better than you'd expect it to be.

Fentenmans (or however you spell them) do a v. good one too. Proper old skool british pop :salute:

Yep, pricey mind. The less said about those Ben Shaws "DB" cans, the better though... :puker:

Jailhouse John

Postby Jailhouse John » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:30 pm

I am getting quite excited now about moving back to the Broad Acres on Thursday after 44 years away!!!

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Meeting an old Military mate tonight who I have not seen for about 15 years....I invited the wife to come along for a meal at the pub but she declined...she said pulling up sandbags all night was intensely boring....she will pick me up from the pub later where I will be drunk having consumed about 6 pints of Guinness, I am fucking useless on nights out these days! :cheers:
Ex-Servicemen dont die,they go to hell and re-group

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck 'im out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

Surrender is for wimps,I vote we die!

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:03 pm

WHITETHROUGH wrote:Meeting an old Military mate tonight who I have not seen for about 15 years....I invited the wife to come along for a meal at the pub but she declined...she said pulling up sandbags all night was intensely boring....she will pick me up from the pub later where I will be drunk having consumed about 6 pints of Guinness, I am fucking useless on nights out these days! :cheers:

Nowt wrong with being a cheap date :thumbl:
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

WHITETHROUGH

Postby WHITETHROUGH » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:07 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
WHITETHROUGH wrote:Meeting an old Military mate tonight who I have not seen for about 15 years....I invited the wife to come along for a meal at the pub but she declined...she said pulling up sandbags all night was intensely boring....she will pick me up from the pub later where I will be drunk having consumed about 6 pints of Guinness, I am fucking useless on nights out these days! :cheers:

Nowt wrong with being a cheap date :thumbl:

Five pints and a tequila and orange....I'm wasted :drunk:
Ex-Servicemen dont die,they go to hell and re-group

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' "Chuck 'im out, the brute!"

But it's "Saviour of 'is country" when the guns begin to shoot;

Surrender is for wimps,I vote we die!

portadown white

Postby portadown white » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:17 pm

Today I got a message out the blue from a girl that I haven't heard from for over 25 years. Back then, she was really fit and randy as hell. I'm sure little will have changed when I meet her.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:17 am

portadown white wrote:.... I'm sure little will have changed when I meet her.

Don't do it :D some things are best left to the imagination. :)

And that was really moving

Postby And that was really moving » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:03 am

portadown white wrote:Today I got a message out the blue from a girl that I haven't heard from for over 25 years. Back then, she was really fit and randy as hell. I'm sure little will have changed when I meet her.

24 years and 3 months in child support back payments?

LSD&2Es

Postby LSD&2Es » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am

And that was really moving wrote:
portadown white wrote:Today I got a message out the blue from a girl that I haven't heard from for over 25 years. Back then, she was really fit and randy as hell. I'm sure little will have changed when I meet her.

24 years and 3 months in child support back payments?

Quality!! ;)
The Chief: "trust me, you can't have too many years with a club like Leeds."

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am

jackos wrote:

Oh God THIS
Keep Fighting

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:19 pm

MightyWhite wrote:
jackos wrote:

Oh God THIS

Shut up, fuckin hell - please let him meet her.
Portadown, we want a full report back!
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Return to “The Square Ball”