O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
Quiffy

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Quiffy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Andymac-47 wrote:
the flying pig wrote:the 'better call saul' finale [and season penultimate episode] was v good IMO. won't spoiler by saying more.

Yip agreed, best season so far.
Just binged After Life Season 2. Brilliant.

i particularly like what they've done with the Nacho character, even though he's a fringe player to some extent, & doesn't say or do all that much, he's somehow become one of the most believable & sympathetic characters who many viewers will root for the most.

i was trying to work out how his character segued into breaking bad, doesn't he appear after tuco's been blasted? can't quite remember.

presumably there will be another series
Spoiler!
as rhea seehorn's still in it and lallo has survived
that'll be a stretch for the make up department.
increasing doubt, decreasing hope, even my imaginary friend went and changed his mind.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Hmm, well, I've just done the first two episodes of After Life 2 and came away disappointed.
Loved the first series, but this time it feels like he's just shitting out the gags - a lot of which are pretty gross - without much room for the sensitive stuff that made the first run so good. I hate the psychiatrist character and his obscene stories - just boring, predictable and not funny. Didn't believe the 100-year-old woman character at all: acted it like she'd never used words like that before. Enjoyed the postman and the hooker scenes, but it's so patchy now.
Might stick with it a bit just because...
Hope it picks up.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 pm

Normal People. Irish teen (sixth form age) romance/ drama. Potentially interesting, but lots of shagging from the off so they used older actors. The girl just about got away with (21) but the lad was 24 and looked utterly ridiculous in school uniform. Shame it’s so off, has potential otherwise.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:33 am

dirty leeds wrote:Hmm, well, I've just done the first two episodes of After Life 2 and came away disappointed.
Loved the first series, but this time it feels like he's just shitting out the gags - a lot of which are pretty gross - without much room for the sensitive stuff that made the first run so good. I hate the psychiatrist character and his obscene stories - just boring, predictable and not funny. Didn't believe the 100-year-old woman character at all: acted it like she'd never used words like that before. Enjoyed the postman and the hooker scenes, but it's so patchy now.
Hope it picks up.

Does Gervais still try and shoehorn a reference to his atheism into every episode, whether it’s relevant or not? I quite enjoyed the first series when I watched it but the more I thought back the more I struggled to empathise with any character played by Gervais.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:18 am

Professor Weeto wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Hmm, well, I've just done the first two episodes of After Life 2 and came away disappointed.
Hope it picks up.

Does Gervais still try and shoehorn a reference to his atheism into every episode, whether it’s relevant or not? I quite enjoyed the first series when I watched it but the more I thought back the more I struggled to empathise with any character played by Gervais.

Yeah, it comes up.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:12 am

I’m going back and watching Sharpe. Sometimes you’ve got to stick with the classics
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

Matt White

Postby Matt White » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:27 am

MightyWhite wrote:I’m going back and watching Sharpe. Sometimes you’ve got to stick with the classics

He was injured too much to make much impact for us, IIRC. You'd be better off sticking with Clarke or maybe Viduka...

Professor Weeto

Postby Professor Weeto » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:47 am

Matt White wrote:
MightyWhite wrote:I’m going back and watching Sharpe. Sometimes you’ve got to stick with the classics

He was injured too much to make much impact for us, IIRC. You'd be better off sticking with Clarke or maybe Viduka...

I’d pay good money to see Mark Viduka gadding about the battlefields of Europe for 16 episodes.

MightyWhite

Postby MightyWhite » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:05 pm

Professor Weeto wrote:
Matt White wrote:

I’d pay good money to see Mark Viduka gadding about the battlefields of Europe for 16 episodes.

With love interests clumsily tacked on to keep the ladies interested of course
Keep Fighting
@lufchris - contributes to your daily bullshit quota in easy 140 charactor installments

metalsmurf

Postby metalsmurf » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:46 pm

Not sure about his ability to put enough gravitas into calling a Frenchie 'Ya frog bastard!'
Because a thing seems difficult for you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Quiffy wrote:...i was trying to work out how his character segued into breaking bad, doesn't he appear after tuco's been blasted? can't quite remember...

no, he's not in it. but there's a small bit in BB that strongly suggests Lalo is still alive and *possibly* Nacho too. i didn't find this myself, btw, thikn i saw it on social media somewhere.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:18 pm

Spooks

Series 1

Going back in.
I like it. What is it?

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:19 pm

Watched the rest of the Gervais thing. It gets better. In patches a LOT better. Think the psychiatrist is ill-judged, but wtf.

Andymac-47

Postby Andymac-47 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:07 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Watched the rest of the Gervais thing. It gets better. In patches a LOT better. Think the psychiatrist is ill-judged, but wtf.

Being premature could happen to any man, nothing to be ashamed of. :cheers:
Andymac

Ontolly

Postby Ontolly » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Watched the rest of the Gervais thing. It gets better. In patches a LOT better. Think the psychiatrist is ill-judged, but wtf.

FAO Ponte - just saying
The only thing we knew for sure about Henry Porter was that his name wasn't Henry Porter.

Mindo

Postby Mindo » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:10 am

After the first series, I just fast forwarded through any scene with the psychiatrist in. Didn't lose owt from the story and saved me a few mins of squirming.

Id like to see the outtakes from the Brian Gittins stand-up. Apparently he did a good 10 minutes

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:53 am

We finished it last night, I thought it was fucking ace again. Brilliant writing, balance of emotions just right.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

jackos

Postby jackos » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:17 am

Watched the last episode of Homeland yesterday, good ending, I thought, the missus hated it.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:40 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Normal People. Irish teen (sixth form age) romance/ drama. Potentially interesting, but lots of shagging from the off so they used older actors. The girl just about got away with (21) but the lad was 24 and looked utterly ridiculous in school uniform. Shame it’s so off, has potential otherwise.

Agree that the lad in school uniform is laughable, I’d assumed the age of the leads was more about the main focus being on the characters in their 20s?

I’ve quite enjoyed the first couple of episodes it’s sort of ‘one day’ mixed with ‘nine songs’.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:08 am

Wakefield White wrote:
eric olthwaite wrote:Normal People. Irish teen (sixth form age) romance/ drama. Potentially interesting, but lots of shagging from the off so they used older actors. The girl just about got away with (21) but the lad was 24 and looked utterly ridiculous in school uniform. Shame it’s so off, has potential otherwise.

Agree that the lad in school uniform is laughable, I’d assumed the age of the leads was more about the main focus being on the characters in their 20s?

I’ve quite enjoyed the first couple of episodes it’s sort of ‘one day’ mixed with ‘nine songs’.

We've watched another couple now. Reading around it, I understand it's a dramatisation of what sounds like really bad chick lit. But it's decent though - largely down to the performances of the two leads. One where the TV version might be better than the book.
HM Collector Of Parcels

Return to “The Square Ball”