O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 14, 2019 7:29 pm

phil, on your points.

Spoiler!
Bronn's return - the [ridiculous] contract he had to kill Tyrion musthas to be over, no, now that there's no Cersei around to honour whatever agreement had been made. So i very much doubt he'll be ging after Tyrion. But I suppose you're right in at least one sense, there must have been some reason for that storyline [which felt horrible] being in there, so I guess he will have a fairly meaty part in the last ep.

We'll see about JS. maybe i'm wrong.

Re: Hound/Mountain fight in s01 - fair comment.

Totally agree that Arya can't kill Dany - that'd be super lame after she did it it to the NK. i suppose i'd envisage her, as you suggest, becoming sthg v different, maybe doing something particularly peaceful?

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Blackwhite » Tue May 14, 2019 10:01 pm

I thank you all for putting GOT on ignore for me :thumbl:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Vampire » Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 am

the flying pig wrote:
Spoiler!
the only plot holes that really bothered me were: (1) the ballistas, flip flopping between over- and under-powered (at the point at which Jon's dragon was hit a second time last week, wasn't their hit rate, following that battle & the 'loot train' scuffle, about 4 in 5 or something? suddenly now they're 'bows & arrows against the lightning'); and (2) the size of the northern/dothraki army, which was surely reduced to almost norhing at winterfell.


Spoiler!
You didn’t find it a plot hole that Jamie could suddenly twitch back to life after being stabbed multiple times, once right through the gut, slay his opponent and then run in sprightly fashion to Cerci in the red keep?

I also found the Hound/Mountain fight OTT for similar reasons.

Agree with you re the fleet - they seemed able to hit a dragon at will last week - Danys even forced to call off her revenge attack because the spears were being fired so quickly and in such numbers. This week - as you say - “bows and arrows against the lightning” (lovely phrase - HG Wells War of the Worlds?)

Overall though - I enjoyed the episode. Danys becoming a mad tyrant has been building in recent eoisodes (and plenty of examples of a cruel streak in much earlier episodes) so not sure what all the fuss is about there.
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby the flying pig » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 am

Spoiler!
You didn’t find it a plot hole that Jamie could suddenly twitch back to life after being stabbed multiple times, once right through the gut, slay his opponent and then run in sprightly fashion to Cerci in the red keep?

standard protagonist fayre, no? not nearly as bad as, a couple of seasons ago, arya getting stabbed, in what looked like a vital area, half a dozen times by a supposedly peerless assassin but still being able to function as a world-class parkour artiste. i had no problem with jamie having enough left in the tank to stagger up some stairs.

I also found the Hound/Mountain fight OTT for similar reasons.

see above, though i do think this one was a bit worse - the hound is a big, strong guy but his skull etc no thicker than any normal person, based on what we saw of the mountain over the seasons i agree the hound should have been toast.

Agree with you re the fleet - they seemed able to hit a dragon at will last week - Danys even forced to call off her revenge attack because the spears were being fired so quickly and in such numbers. This week - as you say - “bows and arrows against the lightning” (lovely phrase - HG Wells War of the Worlds?)

i always use lovely literary references, as an uncultured colonial i daresay most go over your head :wink: .

Overall though - I enjoyed the episode. Danys becoming a mad tyrant has been building in recent eoisodes (and plenty of examples of a cruel streak in much earlier episodes) so not sure what all the fuss is about there.

User avatar
Mustafaster
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:02 am
Location: PC Brigade House.

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Mustafaster » Wed May 15, 2019 9:09 am

the flying pig wrote:
Spoiler!
You didn’t find it a plot hole that Jamie could suddenly twitch back to life after being stabbed multiple times, once right through the gut, slay his opponent and then run in sprightly fashion to Cerci in the red keep?

"standard protagonist fayre, no? not nearly as bad as, a couple of seasons ago, arya getting stabbed, in what looked like a vital area, half a dozen times by a supposedly peerless assassin but still being able to function as a world-class parkour artiste. i had no problem with jamie having enough left in the tank to stagger up some stairs."

I also found the Hound/Mountain fight OTT for similar reasons.

"see above, though i do think this one was a bit worse - the hound is a big, strong guy but his skull etc no thicker than any normal person, based on what we saw of the mountain over the seasons i agree the hound should have been toast."

Agree with you re the fleet - they seemed able to hit a dragon at will last week - Danys even forced to call off her revenge attack because the spears were being fired so quickly and in such numbers. This week - as you say - “bows and arrows against the lightning” (lovely phrase - HG Wells War of the Worlds?)

i always use lovely literary references, as an uncultured colonial i daresay most go over your head :wink: .

Overall though - I enjoyed the episode. Danys becoming a mad tyrant has been building in recent eoisodes (and plenty of examples of a cruel streak in much earlier episodes) so not sure what all the fuss is about there.



Fixed the unreadable blue on black.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

User avatar
Vampire
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:19 am

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Vampire » Wed May 15, 2019 9:30 am

the flying pig wrote:
Spoiler!
Agree with you re the fleet - they seemed able to hit a dragon at will last week - Danys even forced to call off her revenge attack because the spears were being fired so quickly and in such numbers. This week - as you say - “bows and arrows against the lightning” (lovely phrase - HG Wells War of the Worlds?)

i always use lovely literary references, as an uncultured colonial i daresay most go over your head :wink: .


Well, at least that one didn’t!
:study:
There will be no end to the problems afflicting mankind until economists become rulers, or, by some miracle, rulers become economists.

User avatar
Tommy
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:07 pm
Location: UK

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Tommy » Wed May 15, 2019 12:05 pm

Blackwhite wrote:I thank you all for putting GOT on ignore for me :thumbl:

Can you believe some people were against Spoiler Tags when they were initially suggested?

:elephant:

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Blackwhite » Thu May 16, 2019 1:54 am

Tommy wrote:
Blackwhite wrote:I thank you all for putting GOT on ignore for me :thumbl:

Can you believe some people were against Spoiler Tags when they were initially suggested?

:elephant:


:salute:
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 17, 2019 7:14 am

Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am

dirty leeds wrote:Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921


Not enough tits? Not enough dragons? Not enough dragons with tits?

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby dirty leeds » Fri May 17, 2019 8:58 am

eric olthwaite wrote:Also, final season of Mum starts this week and that’s ace.


Just seen first episode. Excellent. Spent much of it watching through fingers. From the swimming pool.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby eric olthwaite » Fri May 17, 2019 9:07 am

dirty leeds wrote:From the swimming pool.


Aye. It's basically a 21st century Abigail's Party.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 17, 2019 9:20 am

dirty leeds wrote:Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921


very silly people. on reflection, the show's *ending* is, most likely, more or less exactly what'll be in the books. what's changed is the bits leading up to the end. entirely sensible choices made by the show bods, e.g. conserving teh number of characters to a manageable level, keeping the plot relativfely simple, making the protagonists less ambigously sympathetic.

in particular, the main divergence between books & show is that the [book] author, i think whilst he was working on the third novel, came up with this idea about a 'bastard' offshoot of the Targ family, one of whom will eventually be a rival to Dany's throne [a v bad decision for him to add this imo, not least because jon's character already does a lot of the same things]. the bloke ended up properly tying himself up in knots trying to weave all of this into the plot, it's probably the single biggest reason for the books likely never getting finished, but you can see how this other bunch would make the show ending more understandable - this new pretender is shaping up to be really popular with the 'commoners', giving D a strong reason to be angry at said 'smallfolk', and one of his crew is suffering from a kind of PTSD linked to an old battle [which his side lost, they were trying to find robert baratheon in a town but coujldn't, afterwards the guy reflected that in his place Tywin would have burnt the whole town to the ground, he resolves in future to be more ruthless/like Tywin if there's a next time] at which chiming bells played a big part.

User avatar
Ponte
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:36 am
Location: Between a rock and a hard place.

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Ponte » Fri May 17, 2019 9:30 am

the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921


very silly people. on reflection, the show's *ending* is, most likely, more or less exactly what'll be in the books. what's changed is the bits leading up to the end. entirely sensible choices made by the show bods, e.g. conserving teh number of characters to a manageable level, keeping the plot relativfely simple, making the protagonists less ambigously sympathetic.

in particular, the main divergence between books & show is that the [book] author, i think whilst he was working on the third novel, came up with this idea about a 'bastard' offshoot of the Targ family, one of whom will eventually be a rival to Dany's throne [a v bad decision for him to add this imo, not least because jon's character already does a lot of the same things]. the bloke ended up properly tying himself up in knots trying to weave all of this into the plot, it's probably the single biggest reason for the books likely never getting finished, but you can see how this other bunch would make the show ending more understandable - this new pretender is shaping up to be really popular with the 'commoners', giving D a strong reason to be angry at said 'smallfolk', and one of his crew is suffering from a kind of PTSD linked to an old battle [which his side lost, they were trying to find robert baratheon in a town but coujldn't, afterwards the guy reflected that in his place Tywin would have burnt the whole town to the ground, he resolves in future to be more ruthless/like Tywin if there's a next time] at which chiming bells played a big part.


Seems to be a load of strange folk signing a petition because a show isn't ending the way they wanted it to. Do they do that with films too?
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

User avatar
the flying pig
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:24 am

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby the flying pig » Fri May 17, 2019 9:40 am

Ponte wrote:
the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921


very silly people. on reflection, the show's *ending* is, most likely, more or less exactly what'll be in the books. what's changed is the bits leading up to the end. entirely sensible choices made by the show bods, e.g. conserving teh number of characters to a manageable level, keeping the plot relativfely simple, making the protagonists less ambigously sympathetic.

in particular, the main divergence between books & show is that the [book] author, i think whilst he was working on the third novel, came up with this idea about a 'bastard' offshoot of the Targ family, one of whom will eventually be a rival to Dany's throne [a v bad decision for him to add this imo, not least because jon's character already does a lot of the same things]. the bloke ended up properly tying himself up in knots trying to weave all of this into the plot, it's probably the single biggest reason for the books likely never getting finished, but you can see how this other bunch would make the show ending more understandable - this new pretender is shaping up to be really popular with the 'commoners', giving D a strong reason to be angry at said 'smallfolk', and one of his crew is suffering from a kind of PTSD linked to an old battle [which his side lost, they were trying to find robert baratheon in a town but coujldn't, afterwards the guy reflected that in his place Tywin would have burnt the whole town to the ground, he resolves in future to be more ruthless/like Tywin if there's a next time] at which chiming bells played a big part.


Seems to be a load of strange folk signing a petition because a show isn't ending the way they wanted it to. Do they do that with films too?


probably.

Image

User avatar
Blackwhite
Joined: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:07 am
Location: Arse end of nowhere

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Blackwhite » Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am

Ponte, there was a petition of similar size IIRC to entirely remake the last Star Wars. shite, whatever is was called.
You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later.

User avatar
Phil LUFC
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:26 pm
Location: Scunthorpe

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Phil LUFC » Sat May 18, 2019 3:31 pm

dirty leeds wrote:Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921

I'm reasonably happy with it though I'd be in the minority who thinks they could have kept it going for another 3 series by covering more of the available story lines. I get the attention span of the average American is a problem here as is keeping the cast together/general cost of the production. They've certainly rushed certain aspects and made at least a couple of really bad decisions since they ran out of books to directly pull from. But all in, it's still very good.

User avatar
eric olthwaite
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:14 pm
Location: Over there, behind that bush

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 19, 2019 4:50 pm

The Virtues? I originally gave it a swerve because of the current ubiquity of Stephen Graham, but I enjoyed it, and

Spoiler!
thought the getting wankered scene was excellent, viscerally real.

Andymac-47
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby Andymac-47 » Sun May 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Ponte wrote:
the flying pig wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Apparently G.O.T. fans think the current/final series has been shite: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48303921


very silly people. on reflection, the show's *ending* is, most likely, more or less exactly what'll be in the books. what's changed is the bits leading up to the end. entirely sensible choices made by the show bods, e.g. conserving teh number of characters to a manageable level, keeping the plot relativfely simple, making the protagonists less ambigously sympathetic.

in particular, the main divergence between books & show is that the [book] author, i think whilst he was working on the third novel, came up with this idea about a 'bastard' offshoot of the Targ family, one of whom will eventually be a rival to Dany's throne [a v bad decision for him to add this imo, not least because jon's character already does a lot of the same things]. the bloke ended up properly tying himself up in knots trying to weave all of this into the plot, it's probably the single biggest reason for the books likely never getting finished, but you can see how this other bunch would make the show ending more understandable - this new pretender is shaping up to be really popular with the 'commoners', giving D a strong reason to be angry at said 'smallfolk', and one of his crew is suffering from a kind of PTSD linked to an old battle [which his side lost, they were trying to find robert baratheon in a town but coujldn't, afterwards the guy reflected that in his place Tywin would have burnt the whole town to the ground, he resolves in future to be more ruthless/like Tywin if there's a next time] at which chiming bells played a big part.


Seems to be a load of strange folk signing a petition because a show isn't ending the way they wanted it to. Do they do that with films too?

It's Brexit with Dragons!
Andymac

User avatar
dirty leeds
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby dirty leeds » Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 pm

Andymac-47 wrote:It's Brexit with Dragons!


I just want it over with. :mrgreen:


Return to “The Square Ball”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: eric olthwaite, rss1969 and 8 guests