O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Discussion on LUFC and absolutely anything... welcome to the Dark Side
FER

Re: O/T Shit telly programs that girls like

Postby FER » Wed May 08, 2019 12:09 pm

Mustafaster wrote:
FER wrote:Star Trek: Discovery. Set 10 years before ToS. Thought I'd give it a try and it's visually stunning, you can tell they've spunked loads o' dolla on the effects side. Still in the early episodes but I think I'll keep up with it. Storyline seems to stack up so far and the acting isn't shit.

Hadn't heard of it before wandering through Netflix but seems it premiered in 2017 and there's a second series been done with a third on order. Bonus!

It's pretty decent. Longish story lines rather than episodic, which is nice.
Sci-fi, so the acting is not the best, but it's not disastrous. As you say, visually stunning.
Second series better than the first imo.

Right, just got to the end of the 1st series last night. Nicely wrapped up in a little box with a cute ribbon on top, thankyouverymuch. Oh, no, wait a second. What was that final scene again? Discovery bimbling away at warp speed to take Spock's dad back to Vulcan when 'Ping!' let's slow down and see what that distress call is all about. Oh look, it's The Fucking Enterprise!

Let's totally step outside of canon (that I know of anyway) and bring Captain Pike into things so he can take over Discovery and have a nice series of 'fucking around in space'. Pur-fucking-lease! :roll:
Squareball Prediction League Champion 2004/2005

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 12, 2019 12:34 pm

Following comments on here, I decided to overcome my intense dislike of all things Gervais (and also persuade Mrs O likewise) and watch After Life. Yep, it’s good. Weirdly irritating soundtrack which pops up in random places, but apart from that, very enjoyable.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 12, 2019 12:35 pm

Also, final season of Mum starts this week and that’s ace.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm

eric olthwaite wrote:Following comments on here, I decided to overcome my intense dislike of all things Gervais (and also persuade Mrs O likewise) and watch After Life. Yep, it’s good. Weirdly irritating soundtrack which pops up in random places, but apart from that, very enjoyable.

I’m going to wind this back a bit:

Spoiler!
Final episode was awful saccharine schmaltz. Much better if it had retained some note of darkness.

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon May 13, 2019 10:10 am

I agree with your spoiler. Thought that choice of direction was poor.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Mon May 13, 2019 10:32 am

dirty leeds wrote:I agree with your spoiler. Thought that choice of direction was poor.

Fairly standard direction for Gervais, see

The office
Extras
Derek (season 1 anyway, didn’t watch the second)

No?
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 am

Didn't watch any of Derek and...

Spoiler!
.. don't recall the endings of either of the other two in terms of being overly cloying. Maybe I just forgot.

Wakefield White

Postby Wakefield White » Mon May 13, 2019 11:28 am

dirty leeds wrote:Didn't watch any of Derek and...

Spoiler!
.. don't recall the endings of either of the other two in terms of being overly cloying. Maybe I just forgot.

The way I remember them...
Spoiler!
the office - redemption for Brent, he suddenly develops some self awareness, gets a girl, tells finch to fuck off, everyone seems to like him all of a sudden. Tim loses dawn then she realises what’s she’s turned down and turns up to kiss him... everyone lives happily ever after.

Extras - redemption for millman, he suddenly develops some self awareness, and slates the celebrity culture he’s sacrificed his principles to be part of, he realises how special Maggie is to him and walks off in to the sunset with her.

Completely agree that after life ending is far too saccharine.
Fuck you Rod Liddle, fuck you in your cunting fuckface you fucking third division cunt!
(courtesy of Ponte)

dirty leeds

Postby dirty leeds » Mon May 13, 2019 11:31 am

Wakefield White wrote:
dirty leeds wrote:Didn't watch any of Derek and...

Spoiler!

The way I remember them...
Spoiler!
the office - redemption for Brent, he suddenly develops some self awareness, gets a girl, tells finch to fuck off, everyone seems to like him all of a sudden. Tim loses dawn then she realises what’s she’s turned down and turns up to kiss him... everyone lives happily ever after.

Extras - redemption for millman, he suddenly develops some self awareness, and slates the celebrity culture he’s sacrificed his principles to be part of, he realises how special Maggie is to him and walks off in to the sunset with her.

Completely agree that after life ending is far too saccharine.

OK, cheers. Yep had forgotten most of that. Wonder if it's an American market thing in this case?

Mustafaster

Postby Mustafaster » Tue May 14, 2019 8:09 am

Veep finished.
It's really good.
Yank version of The Thick of It.
No Malcolm Tucker of course, but some great characters.
Julia Louis Dreyfuss outstanding, very very funny.
If you liked The Thick of It you'll love it.
Gonna miss this.
Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men.

eric olthwaite

Postby eric olthwaite » Tue May 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Mustafaster wrote:Veep finished.
It's really good.
Yank version of The Thick of It.
No Malcolm Tucker of course, but some great characters.
Julia Louis Dreyfuss outstanding, very very funny.
If you liked The Thick of It you'll love it.
Gonna miss this.

I take it you saw this?

Tommy

Postby Tommy » Tue May 14, 2019 1:59 pm

There was a steady decline after Armando Iannucci left but I'm glad I persisted given the incredible Leeds United Easter Egg in the most recent season.

The level of profanity has been consistently enjoyable throughout, in particular the many insults directed at Jonah Ryan and Roger Furlong's assistant Will.

Devi

Postby Devi » Tue May 14, 2019 2:28 pm

GOT...

Spoiler!
Can’t be doing with the haters, I’m fucking loving ‘Season’ 8. Theory for Monday? Arya tries to kill Danny. Dany kills Arya. Jon goes radio, and kills Dany. Bron kills Greyworm to stop Greyworm killing Tyrion. Jon puts Sansa on iron throne, with Tyrion as hand, and Samwell as meister, and goes back to north. Appearances from Yarra, who kills Drogon, and Brienne, who puts Bran out of his misery.
I like it. What is it?

Tycipa

Postby Tycipa » Tue May 14, 2019 2:45 pm

Devi wrote:GOT...

Spoiler!
Can’t be doing with the haters, I’m fucking loving ‘Season’ 8. Theory for Monday? Arya tries to kill Danny. Dany kills Arya. Jon goes radio, and kills Dany. Bron kills Greyworm to stop Greyworm killing Tyrion. Jon puts Sansa on iron throne, with Tyrion as hand, and Samwell as meister, and goes back to north. Appearances from Yarra, who kills Drogon, and Brienne, who puts Bran out of his misery.

Either that, which I like, or it’s all kumbaya.
The fact that we are not taking care of the planet, our children will pay the consequences. With football it will be the same because we're destroying football and in the future we'll see the negative effects. Those who have power are responsible for it.

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue May 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Tycipa wrote:or it’s all kumbaya.

Spoiler!
No chance after night - the closet to kumbaya you'll get is if Dany fucks off back to Essos. My biggest issue with the current series is that they've stopped killing off the good guys/girls - other that Lady Mormont and at a push Vary's.

I thought last nights episode was great - but I will throw up next week if Tyrion gets it on with Sansa ...

Ponte

Postby Ponte » Tue May 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Devi wrote:GOT...

Spoiler!

Agree, it’s fucking brilliant.
Spoiler!
I'm going for Jon to turn against Dany, Dany to try to kill him with Drogon. Being a Targ either Drogon refuses or the fire doesn’t harm him and then Arya kills Dany.
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-orientated material. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned.
Hmmm.

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue May 14, 2019 5:26 pm

I wasn't enjoying last night's episode
Spoiler!
It was all going way too easily.

But then
Spoiler!
They took it to the darkest of places they could for Dany and it all got very very interesting! No major gripes with how it played out, the Mountain was maybe a bit "too" undead to really not be that arsed about a dagger through his head!
I thought Arya was done when they first got into the keep but quite liked the Hound being the one to remind her she's not just a cold assassin.

Next week?
Spoiler!
Fuck knows really, last week I thought Grey Worm might get a bitter sweet ending in that he'd sail of to protect Narth from... whatever they need protecting from as was the plan while Missande was still alive but now, now he's gone all in on the killing innocents in service of his Queen I expect his fate is tied to hers.

Given what she's just seen I don't see any option for Arya other than trying to take down Dany, it could be her death which really makes Jon lose it?

I didn't think we'd see any more of those still in the North but now I'm not so sure, they could well be back in support of Jon.

If Tyrion goes to speak to Dany he's fucked, he needs to stick with Jon/Sansa now.

the flying pig

Postby the flying pig » Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Phil LUFC wrote:I wasn't enjoying last night's episode
Spoiler!

But then
Spoiler!
They took it to the darkest of places they could for Dany and it all got very very interesting! No major gripes with how it played out, the Mountain was maybe a bit "too" undead to really not be that arsed about a dagger through his head!
I thought Arya was done when they first got into the keep but quite liked the Hound being the one to remind her she's not just a cold assassin.

Next week?
Spoiler!
Fuck knows really, last week I thought Grey Worm might get a bitter sweet ending in that he'd sail of to protect Narth from... whatever they need protecting from as was the plan while Missande was still alive but now, now he's gone all in on the killing innocents in service of his Queen I expect his fate is tied to hers.

Given what she's just seen I don't see any option for Arya other than trying to take down Dany, it could be her death which really makes Jon lose it?

I didn't think we'd see any more of those still in the North but now I'm not so sure, they could well be back in support of Jon.

If Tyrion goes to speak to Dany he's fucked, he needs to stick with Jon/Sansa now.

i basically thought the last episode was a good, maybe even very good [albeit imperfect, mostly through bits of rushing & the odd plot hole], a welcome return to form after two absolute stinkers, which were themselves hot on the heels of episode 2, one of the best they've ever done.

Spoiler!
the only plot holes that really bothered me were: (1) the ballistas, flip flopping between over- and under-powered (at the point at which Jon's dragon was hit a second time last week, wasn't their hit rate, following that battle & the 'loot train' scuffle, about 4 in 5 or something? suddenly now they're 'bows & arrows against the lightning'); and (2) the size of the northern/dothraki army, which was surely reduced to almost norhing at winterfell.

dany's turn of character was alright, it didn't quite come out of nowhere but, yeah, could have been paced a little better, or we coud at least have been given a few more recent reminders of that side of her since most of the others were so long ago.

i didn't mind the hound-mountain fight, though thought it a bit odd that the mountain cared who sandor was, i always got the impression that the dislike was one sided, if not why hand't the mountain just topped him when they were much younger?

i'm sure that JS is going back 'up north', by which i suppose i mean winterfell or, just as likely, as far as the wall or even beyond... my main reason for this is that, in the 'after show' piece that the creators, the reasons they gave for splitting him up with Ghost were just far too lame for me to believe that he they wouldn't be reunited. after hearing this i also re-reconsidered Tormund's observation that JS now has some of "the real north" in him. but what's he going to do up there? king/queen in the north or lord/lady of winterfell is now sansa's gig, right? and there's no need for a night's watch now?

barring another very rapid change of heart Dany must be toast, macbeth style ['is this a valyrian steel blade I see before me?'] but, i mean, place your bets as to how that'll happen. i sort of think Arya & Sansa's arcs are done now? Jon &/or Tyrion, maybe supported by someone like Davos, will need to do the heavy lifting there?

i was pleased that Arya cleaned her act up... these days we're, a bit, encouraged via a kind of weird reverse sexism to believe that, if carried out by a 'kickass' female protagonist, sustained ultraviolence is a marvellous thing ['you go girl'] when, of course, it's not, and viewers surely weren't supposed to think that it was.

of the other remaining major characters Tyrion, Bran still need their stories wrapping up somehow. are Samwell & Davos important to also need their own 'endings'?

i suppose i doubt we'll see bronn again? maybe not pod or gendry?

jackos

Postby jackos » Tue May 14, 2019 6:31 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Spoiler!
i'm sure that JS is going back 'up north', by which i suppose i mean winterfell or, just as likely, as far as the wall or even beyond... my main reason for this is that, in the 'after show' piece that the creators, the reasons they gave for splitting him up with Ghost were just far too lame for me to believe that he they wouldn't be reunited. after hearing this i also re-reconsidered Tormund's observation that JS now has some of "the real north" in him. but what's he going to do up there? king/queen in the north or lord/lady of winterfell is now sansa's gig, right? and there's no need for a night's watch now?

I suppose

Spoiler!
t'wall's played out its roll now the Night King is gone taking with him the White Walkers, and the Free folk are best mates with Jon. Which means what's left of the Nights watch will be picking up their P45's?

HBO might

Spoiler!
want to keep Dany alive to star in a spinoff with her dragon given how popular she is, and Brienn is carrying Jamie's sprog giving rise to another generation of Lanisters

Phil LUFC

Postby Phil LUFC » Tue May 14, 2019 7:01 pm

the flying pig wrote:
Phil LUFC wrote:I wasn't enjoying last night's episode
Spoiler!

But then
Spoiler!

Next week?
Spoiler!

i basically thought the last episode was a good, maybe even very good [albeit imperfect, mostly through bits of rushing & the odd plot hole], a welcome return to form after two absolute stinkers, which were themselves hot on the heels of episode 2, one of the best they've ever done.

Spoiler!
TFP:the only plot holes that really bothered me were: (1) the ballistas, flip flopping between over- and under-powered (at the point at which Jon's dragon was hit a second time last week, wasn't their hit rate, following that battle & the 'loot train' scuffle, about 4 in 5 or something? suddenly now they're 'bows & arrows against the lightning'); and (2) the size of the northern/dothraki army, which was surely reduced to almost norhing at winterfell.
PL: Kind of agreed. I think I lay the blame at previous effectiveness - Bron missed a few times, the Night King missed with 2 out of 3 spears all in (?), The Iron Fleet caught them completely by surprise but yes, there were 3 hits in not much time at all - that's the one which skews it massively. This time they were utterly useless against a single dragon, to the point when she made that hole for the unsullied she didn't first take out the ballistas on the towers either side of that spot. Only mitigation is the speed to re-point them, if the Iron Born had 10 of the things all aimed on an unsuspecting and straight flying dragon then maybe. i think that was my gripe early on and why I wasn't enjoying it, Dany was suddenly in no danger at all whilst wiping out an entire fleet in seconds. I guess we know she hasn't come this far to be taken out so easily so any protracted suspense would just mean they'd not get the rest into the episode.

TFP:dany's turn of character was alright, it didn't quite come out of nowhere but, yeah, could have been paced a little better, or we coud at least have been given a few more recent reminders of that side of her since most of the others were so long ago.
PL: I was happy with it, even after the angry face and taking off again it wasn't clear if she was just going for Cersei and I liked the way she first torched soldiers with just a split second to morally decide if killing armed men on the verge of surrender is ok before following up with innocent small folk. I read some shit complaining about them no doing enough on the "nuclear deterrent" subject, if there was any point made there this emphatically answered it, it's a Hiroshima moment within this series and there's no real coming back from it.

TFP:i didn't mind the hound-mountain fight, though thought it a bit odd that the mountain cared who sandor was, i always got the impression that the dislike was one sided, if not why hand't the mountain just topped him when they were much younger?
PL: They set this up last series when they met to show off the wight, it was always going to be 2 sided. There's also the bit from the S1 tourney. I think by adulthood the Hound was more or less a match for his brother (no doubt as a result of ongoing bullying - who would the Mountain torment if he killed his favourite victim?), it's the whole Qyburn thing which took him up a few notches. I expected this fight to end with a decapitation but liked the final result, just not the dagger to the face and prior regular stabbings to the neck having no impact.

TFP:i'm sure that JS is going back 'up north', by which i suppose i mean winterfell or, just as likely, as far as the wall or even beyond... my main reason for this is that, in the 'after show' piece that the creators, the reasons they gave for splitting him up with Ghost were just far too lame for me to believe that he they wouldn't be reunited. after hearing this i also re-reconsidered Tormund's observation that JS now has some of "the real north" in him. but what's he going to do up there? king/queen in the north or lord/lady of winterfell is now sansa's gig, right? and there's no need for a night's watch now?
PL: I don't think I see it, unless the whole thing is going to end on a South vs North cliffhanger (which seems massively unlikely, HBO would want a 9th series suddenly). If anything the North is coming to him to take out Fire as it were, having already taken out Ice.

TFP:barring another very rapid change of heart Dany must be toast, macbeth style ['is this a valyrian steel blade I see before me?'] but, i mean, place your bets as to how that'll happen. i sort of think Arya & Sansa's arcs are done now? Jon &/or Tyrion, maybe supported by someone like Davos, will need to do the heavy lifting there?
PL: Sansa could be done unless I'm right above, I felt she was after last week but now I'm not sure. Arya... same deal as with Cersei, if she was going to be the one, she couldn't also have been the one in E2, it's too much glory for one character. I still don't think she'll actually make it to the end (but I've felt that strongly during both battles this series and I'd like to see her sail off West at the end). It has to be Jon.

TFP:i was pleased that Arya cleaned her act up... these days we're, a bit, encouraged via a kind of weird reverse sexism to believe that, if carried out by a 'kickass' female protagonist, sustained ultraviolence is a marvellous thing ['you go girl'] when, of course, it's not, and viewers surely weren't supposed to think that it was.
PL: Agreed, very much so. Different subject and also potentially a spoiler but there's a moment in Engame* which jarred me out of the experience for a moment.

TFP:of the other remaining major characters Tyrion, Bran still need their stories wrapping up somehow. are Samwell & Davos important to also need their own 'endings'?
PL: Sam is surely going to the citidel to write "A Song of Ice and Fire" to fully complete the Tolkien Sam comparison, even if that's a TV only soppy personal ending. Bran is done I think, he's the 3 eyed raven, he'll keep doing that until he needs a successor, he'll do it in the safety of Winterfell and it turns out his only usefulness was to tell Jon who he is. Davos is with Jon to the end, Tyrion could be too at this point, he can't stand with Dany after that, he knows Varys was right.

TFP:i suppose i doubt we'll see bronn again? maybe not pod or gendry?
PL: Gendry: Doubt it, either Dany or Jon will keep him as lord of Storms End. Bronn: Going to pop up to kill Tyrion if he doesn't get High Garden, which seems unlikely he will.

I didn't have any problems at all with any of the none battle episodes in this series, very few complaints at all and the ones I did have came in that earlier battle. Comments inside your spoiler.

*Above mentioned Endgame moment:
Spoiler!
Where all the female heroes come together in a pure misguided Hollywood "see, we care about Women too", moment

Return to “The Square Ball”